cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 2,928
Message 21 of 33

Re: Upgrading the AWAY AI

The main shortcoming of Lenovo Rescue System is that it backups the system only (that is, the content of C:\). But if you want your PC to work as well as before you have to restore all partitions on your SSD, including the hidden ones. In other words, you have to copy the entire HDD onto the SSD (adapting of course the size of the partitions).

You can do that with a free tool from Seagate, Discwizard: http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

Start by reading the documentation: http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/downloads/discwizard/_shared/docs/dw_ug.en....

X220t | i7 | 320GB HDD | 8GB RAM | WIN7 PRO
IdeaCenter A520 | i5 | 1 TB HDD | 6GB RAM | WIN8.1
smugalov
Paper Tape
Views: 2,893
Message 22 of 33

thank you will  try that

chriscarre77
Paper Tape
Views: 2,860
Message 23 of 33

Hello

If you run Belarc advisor, you wil find your product key.
soccer892
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,817
Message 24 of 33

Would you be able to upgrade the processor farther down the line?

Mine currently has the Intel Core i7-4700MQ, however, in the future i might want to upgrade it.

smugalov
Paper Tape
Views: 2,647
Message 25 of 33

Yes I did run Belarc (what a great program)  But  if you read an embedded code (you are not suppose have) to Microsoft activation department they will for sure disable the license for good. 

This is still an  unsolved problem for me but my lawyer is preparing a letter  to file a formal complain against Microsoft.

Under all the Client/Microsoft  agreements the License is mine and I can move it between computers and hard drives as I like you can even use it on two computers for 30 days.

BUT SHAME ON YOU LENOVO for not assisting with the matter and making me go trough al this bullsh** with Microsoft

Well if I take the computer to the Lenovo dealership here in Iceland they will fix it - but I am not paying them 250 $ for replacing the hard drive  when it takes about 12 minutes.

smugalov
Paper Tape
Views: 2,606
Message 26 of 33

I will for sure post what Microsoft has to say
When was digging on the internet about the matter there were a couple of info sites that said upgrading the processor was not easy and basically it was not recommended why I don't know because if you read the official Lenovo hardware manual
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/ideacentre_a730_hmm_20130607.pdf

it looks very simple so my guess it is software related ??
(don't forget the grease when replacing the processor)

DickSolomon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,558
Message 27 of 33

Just wanted to share my experience with upgrading the AIO HDD and replacing it with a 500GB SSD. It took me around 5 days to figure out why everytime I tried to clone the HDD (with Acronis), the operation failed. It all came down to a problem with basically Ascronis and all other cloning programs. The 1TB HDD has a 850 something GB system partition and on the fifth day, I resized it - to my surprise - I was only able to resize it down to about 460GB which, together with the other "hidden" partitions got my over the 500GB of my SSD and led to another clone fail. The reason in my opinion why it failed was that Windows had written some "unmovable" files in the middle of the 850GB partition which prevented Windows and also Acronis from shrinking the partition further. So I did another defrag of the C-partition which did change anything. I then made a OKR and started the system again..and surprise...I could resize and shrink the partition further. After that the cloning went through smoothly and the system is honestly lightyears faster than with the HDD. (Lenovo, what were you thinking???) Only draw back is, that the original, factory restoring OKR doesn't work anymore since it says the partition size is wrong. However, I use Acronis to back up my whole SSD including all partitions on a weekly basis anyway, so I don't need OKR.

Just wanted to let you know my experiences in case anybody else runs into this problem - which drove me nearly carzy. ;-)

robwistar
What's DOS?
Views: 2,505
Message 28 of 33

I'm getting an A730.  The model I'm looking at only as the HDD.  They sell a model that includes the standard HDD plus an addition 8GB SSD.  Unfortunately due to an eCoupon they've got right now there's a $700 differce.  I'm not paying $700 for an 8GB SSD.  (There are other differences, but I don't much care about them.)

There's plenty in this thread about replacing the HDD with an SSD.  What about adding an SSD?  Is there an empty slot/connector/whatever in there somewhere where I can stick it?  Or does their HDD + SSD option use a single hybrid drive?

Also does that do much for me?

larrynipon
Paper Tape
Views: 2,500
Message 29 of 33

The ONLY way I would buy that machine is with a 250gig SSD.  I went through 2 of them before returning them both and getting a dell optiplex.  The all-in-one design is an awesome footprint, but it seems to sacrifice that for performance.  I have the optiplex with a 500gig hybrid hd and a 250 gig ssd.  I've never enjoyed a computing experience so much.   Windows 8 on a computer is total crap, and I found very little value in touch functionality on a desktop.  Just sayin"...

PetorStuart
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,912
Message 30 of 33

I know you posted this so long ago BUT PLEASE help. I just got a new Samsung 250gb evo SSD been going crazy for 4 days now trying to migrate and it just wont work with ANY software! I shrunk it down like you mentioned (still way to big) but what do you mean you made an OKR and how do you do such thing to make this work. Please help

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors