Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dutchman69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,291
Message 1 of 4

system no longer sees internal HDD

I have a Lenovo AIO C40-05 with Windows 10.  For the last couple weeks I have been seeing high  rates of HDD use (90+%).  I picked up a new  2 gb drive, but did not get around to ptting it in today when the machine would bring up the Lenovo intital screen and stop.  I was hoping to clone the drive thinking the drive was bad, but I found the computer does not see the internal hard drive at all.  It operates perfectly with the old drive in a external case via the USB, so I ruled out the HDD as the issue.

Is this a bad mother board, scrambled bios, or bad controller card (I believe it is built in the motherboard)

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,282
Message 2 of 4

Re: system no longer sees internal HDD

I am not completely clear as to what you have done thus far, but if you just put the new 2TB drive into the system without any OS installed, it would show up in the BIOS, but the system will not be able boot from it, nor would it show up as a drive under "This PC", if the system was booted into Windows using USB HDD.     

Once booted into windows via the old drive connected via USB, you should be able to see the new HDD via Disk Management (right-click Start >> Disk Management), but since the new drive has not been initialized, partitioned or formatted etc. it will not yet show up under This PC.    In Disk Management it will probably show as Unknown and not Initialized.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/initialize-new-disks

What cloning software are you using, because usually they will handle those tasks for you?

Dutchman69
Paper Tape
Views: 1,272
Message 3 of 4

The  2gb drive was formatted and set up correctly.  It is just invisible in the internal slot.  I was looking to clone the old drive to it.

I pulled the internal HDD out and put it in an external drive unit that is self powered and works via a USB connection.   The computer works normally with it that way so the old drive is not an issue.  The computer does not see the new drive in internal slot.  I put the original drive back in and the same condition.    I dislike these all in one type computers for reasons like this, but it was a gift from family....    

Since the old drive is fine and the computer is operating fine, the question is why is it the internal drive location is dead.  All that happens is the machine starts to run and the word Lenovo comes up on the screen and it stops there.   I generally try to stay out of the bios unless I have to go there, but everthing seems to be pointing toward the SATA controller which is on the mother board.  If it is the MB, I can still pick them up, but this is not really a machine I want to chase my tail over.  So I was hoping to get some sound advice.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,266
Message 4 of 4

Does the SATA DVD/CD drive still work when booted from the external HDD, or is it dead too?     If the DVD still works, then that might rule out a SATA controller issue, and point to a bad connection instead.      

If the DVD drive is not working either, I would go into the BIOS just to make sure that the SATA controller is enabled.

Lenovo C40 Series All-In-One Computer Hardware Maintenance Manual

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_c40_hmm_20141110.pdf

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors