Options

14 Posts

12-25-2011

Boise, ID

36 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 101 of 179

Re: Any Fix for the "Wake from Sleep" and "Random Reboot" issues?

2011-12-25, 16:19 PM

Brand-spankin-new K1 and seeing the auto brightness problem.  We opened it for Christmas last night and it has received 2 system updates last night and another this morning; it says my system is up to date.  AFAIK, I did not have any issues until auto brightness was enabled, but I didn't check the auto bright until I had been playing with it a while so it might have been a problem with an older patch version.  It's currently 3.2.1, kernel 2.6.36.3, build K1_A301_12_12_111109_US.  I do not have any security set for unlocking the screen, it's just the default.

This morning my wife tried to wake it up using the power button, the screen came on and almost immediately faded to black.  It's almost like the device thinks the screen is on when it is not.  I pressed the power button twice (once to turn off the screen that was already off and once to turn it on again) and it faded to black again.  A power cycle fixes it until the screen times out again.  Turning *off* the auto brightness keeps it from going to black when waking the screen.  Now when I power the screen back on, it begins to fade out to black but stops at the brightness level set in the settings.

I have only installed a couple of apps but neither run in the background.  I did turn on Google Music sync and I think that runs all the time.  It appears easy to replicate and test so if you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to try them.

Options

72 Posts

12-18-2011

Frankfort, KY

183 Signins

923 Page Views

• Views: 923
  • Message 102 of 179

2011-12-25, 16:37 PM
I just dont think that there is a fix. I suggest leaving the auto brightness off until there is a fix.
Options

3 Posts

12-25-2011

Meridian, ID

8 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 103 of 179

2011-12-25, 17:25 PM

I haven't had random reboot issues yet, and I've had the tablet for a week without problems until this morning.

Last night, I downloaded a few new apps, but the system change I made that must have caused this issue was messing with the Wifi settings.  I read that if you disable the wifi when the screen turns off, it would help the battery to last longer. 

Now this morning, tablet won't turn on.

Options

14 Posts

12-25-2011

Boise, ID

36 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 104 of 179

2011-12-25, 17:50 PM

Yeah, I noticed it wasn't automatically reconnecting to my wi-fi either.  Didn't think it was related but I have seen that happen after power cycling it.

Options

15 Posts

12-25-2011

United States

104 Signins

633 Page Views

• Views: 633
  • Message 105 of 179

2011-12-26, 16:29 PM

Try this. With the auto brightness enabled. Put the unit to sleep by pressing and releasing the power button quickly. Take your K1 to a dim place (or turn off the light in the room). Try waking up the unil by presssing the power button. If your unit is like mine the screen will illuminate for a second or two then go black. Next. Try it again except this time turn the k1 towards a bright source of light immediately after you press the button. The screen will magically turn back on! You will only have another second or two to unock before it goes black again, which is normal after about 5 seconds.

I'm guessing the problem is with the calibration of the ambient light sensor. Seems like it should be fixable by Lenovo.
Options

14 Posts

12-25-2011

Boise, ID

36 Signins

127 Page Views

• Message 106 of 179

2011-12-26, 16:56 PM

Ok, I tried your proceedure.  First, I went into Settings and turned on auto-brightness.  The screen immediately dimmed but did not go black.  I put the screen to sleep by quickly pressing the power button.  I went into a dark room and pressed again.  The screen came on but faded to complete black almost immediately.  It gives me just enough time to unlock the screen but user interaction does not help, it goes black whether I unlock it or not.

I went into a well lit area and pressed the power button again.  Nothing happened at all.  I believe this is due to the unit thinking the screen is on when it is really not.  Pressing the button again put the screen back to sleep as far as the K1 was concerned even though I could not see anything.  A third press turned the screen back on again and I pointed it directly under a lamp.  It faded to black again just as it did with the dark room.

Here is something interesting though.  Although I was seeing the same fade out at this point, I tried this and it worked.  If you hit the power button to turn on the screen, unlock it really quickly, and press the physical Home button before it fades out, the screen will stay on.  Although I have replicated this many times, it doesn't always work.  If I don't hit the button after unlocking the screen, it will fade to black as it always does when auto-brightness is enabled.

I removed it from its case just to make sure the light sensor wasn't being obstructed but I got the same behavior.  I had to power the K1 off completely and power it back to fix the problem long enough to turn off the auto-brightness again.

Options

15 Posts

12-25-2011

United States

104 Signins

633 Page Views

• Message 107 of 179

2011-12-26, 17:19 PM
Hmm..
I have tried turning to the light after it goes black and with a little practice with the timing it will come back on every time?

Apparently this has been an issue for a long time and Lenovo has been unable to correct.

My unit was also supposed to have "black leather" back. But instead has a black rubberish one. I could have had the same unit from Amazon for less money instead of dealing with delays from Lenovo. THinking about sending it back.
Options

107 Posts

12-19-2011

Michigan

1822 Signins

12158 Page Views

• Views: 12158
  • Message 108 of 179

2011-12-26, 19:18 PM

I've not had a single issue with the "Wake from Sleep" and "Random Reboot" issues. I don't plan on "breaking" it to see if I can get one of the issues. I don't use auto brightness and I don't use the stock launcher (I use ADW Launcher EX). I don't know if they are the reason that I don't have the issue or not, but my policy is, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :smileytongue:

Options

15 Posts

12-25-2011

United States

104 Signins

633 Page Views

• Message 109 of 179

2011-12-26, 21:20 PM
I have to ask. If you are not having any issues then why are you reading this thread?
Most of us only come to these forums to resolve issues?

Do you work for Lenovo?
Options

107 Posts

12-19-2011

Michigan

1822 Signins

12158 Page Views

• Views: 12158
  • Message 110 of 179

2011-12-26, 21:31 PM

I read every last thing I can on the gadgets I own. If there is something to learn, I want to know it. I've beta tested for USRobotics, a number of softwares, and Netgear. For me, it's fun. :smileywink:

The fact that people are having issues with a product I own (and maybe I'll have the same issue sometime down the road?) is all I need to check out a thread.

I've learned so much from others by doing this... so, if I can share what I know, I call it payback. :smileyhappy:

And nope, I don't work for Lenovo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete