Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

03-18-2012

nj

56 Signins

209 Page Views

• Views: 209
  • Message 1 of 7

Can't get online with K1.

2013-02-03, 1:44 AM

I have a good wifi signal and can get online with my laptop with no problem.  Tried rebooting, turning wifi on and off and trying other wifi networks. Its been at least a week since I could get online. Wifi has never been good with the K1, used to get kicked off alot, but now can't get on at all. Not sure how to diagnose this. Any help would be appreciated.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Can't get online with K1.

2013-02-03, 1:54 AM

wrote:

I have a good wifi signal and can get online with my laptop with no problem.  Tried rebooting, turning wifi on and off and trying other wifi networks. Its been at least a week since I could get online. Wifi has never been good with the K1, used to get kicked off alot, but now can't get on at all. Not sure how to diagnose this. Any help would be appreciated.

So it sounds like you are not able to connect to any of the WiFi networks that you have tried, so I assume it's not tied to authentication.  Do you have the WiFi Analyzer app?  If so, does it show that the tablet is picking up the WiFi signals?  If you don't have that app, go into Settings->WiFi (make sure WiFi is turned on) and see if any of the network names listed have a litlle "signal strength" icon (like the one in the notification area) beside them on the right.  If you don't even see a signal strength indication (or if WiFi Analyzer shows no signals), then you must have some problem with the WiFi chip/antenna hardware in the tablet.

Options

19 Posts

03-18-2012

nj

56 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2013-02-03, 2:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have a signal, 3 bars out of 4 on my Belkin Icon, in wifi settings, I dont have the app.  It says connected to Belkin network. This my home wifi (Comcast) that I have had for the last 8 months or so and it used to work with it, nothing has been changed. I tried the browser, Firefox and Dolphin, these all used to work.  I can get on with my Acer tablet with no problem, so I dont think its my router.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2013-02-03, 17:29 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have a signal, 3 bars out of 4 on my Belkin Icon, in wifi settings, I dont have the app.  It says connected to Belkin network. This my home wifi (Comcast) that I have had for the last 8 months or so and it used to work with it, nothing has been changed. I tried the browser, Firefox and Dolphin, these all used to work.  I can get on with my Acer tablet with no problem, so I dont think its my router.

OK, the fact that it says you're connected implies that the problem is not in the signal strength or authentication.  So the real problem most likely has to do with the IP configuration, which should be automatic.  Your router should be automatically providing the K1 (via a protocol called DHCP) the settings for it's IP configuration - address, network mask, gateway, and Domain Name Servers (DNS).  If that's not working correctly, that will result in you being "connected" via WiFi, but not able to connect to anything outside the local network, which sounds like what you are experiencing.

The hard part is figuring out why this is happening.  You can start by looking at the Settings->WiFi, and tapping on your home (Comcast) network, to see what IP address has been assigned to the tablet.  Does it look correct - something like 192.168.1.xx?  If not, then the DHCP configuration is not working.

If it looks OK, go back to the list of WiFi networks and long-press on your home network to bring up the Forget/Modify Network menu.  Select Modify Network.  If the keyboard comes up, close it.  Click on Show Advanced Options.  The advanced options should be set to Proxy settings: None, and IP settings: DHCP.  If not, change them, and Save the result, and see what happens.

If the IP address and the settings look OK, you might want to log into your router and check what other devices are configured on the network, to ensure that there is no IP address conflict (two devices trying to use the same IP address).  Also, have you installed any software on your tablet that might block any network traffic (for example, firewall/security software)?  If so, try disabling it.

Lastly, I suppose it could be some other piece of software doing this.  Do you recall installing anything new just before you could no longer access the Internet?

That's about all the ideas I have for now.  Let me know what you find.

Options

19 Posts

03-18-2012

nj

56 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2013-02-03, 22:13 PM

Got it working. I rebooted my router and now it works. I thought about doing that before,  but since my laptop worked fine with the same router, I didnt think that was it. Still slow as hell though. Thanks for your help.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2013-02-03, 22:18 PM

wrote:

Got it working. I rebooted my router and now it works. I thought about doing that before,  but since my laptop worked fine with the same router, I didnt think that was it. Still slow as hell though. Thanks for your help.

Guess I should have suggested that, although I didn't think that was it because you said your K1 was not working with other networks, either.  Anyway, glad you got it working!

Options

19 Posts

03-18-2012

nj

56 Signins

209 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2013-02-04, 5:25 AM

Thanks again!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)