Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

36 Posts

06-19-2012

40 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 1 of 5

[Fully working Play Store] Guide/FAQ for ICS on Lenovo Ideapad K1 [7/31]

2012-08-01, 0:28 AM

Decided to bring my thread over here for those not wanting to register for xda.

This is my first thread of this type so I am open to any/all suggestions. I noticed there were a lot of users that emerged on various forums during the wait and eventual release of Ice Cream Sandwich from Lenovo. So I decided to start this thread as a guide/FAQ to try and make things simpler. We were all once in a place of confusion regarding Android. I got helped many times along the way so I figured it would be my turn to help out some newbies.

This thread is currently a work in progress as I try to add everything that is deemed important to know. I will try to keep this up to date with everything we currently have available. If something is missing and needs to be added just send me a PM and I will get on it ASAP!

First, a few disclaimers! READ THESE FIRST!
~Anything you do to your tablet is your own fault! Neither myself, nor Lenovo, nor the developer(s) whose modifications are listed below are in any way at all  responsible for what happens!

~There are probably more disclaimers I should add so....

Now that that is out of the way, lets get started!

So you’ve got an Ideapad K1 and have decided to jump ship from the stock Honeycomb experience from Lenovo.

Things you are going to need:

1. The USB cable to connect your tablet to a PC (Yes, you will need a PC)
2. Your battery should be charged to 100%
3. You must have these drivers installed on your PC.
http://goo-inside.me/devs/khanning/k1/K1_APX_Drivers.zip [Nvflash Windows Drivers]
md5sum: 9aa3a4814ca63366329d85a22ed01f64

Things you need to do:

Next you need to backup anything you do not wish to lose. When you flash, everything on your tablet will be wiped. This means you will lose any apps/data/music/pictures/etc.

Apps are backed up through your Gmail account and should easily restore once you boot up. Any other data should be copied over to a computer or an external micro-sd card and can be later copied back onto the tablet.

Now you need to decide what you are going to flash. As of [7/31] you only have 3 choices.

There is

1. Stock ICS Lenovo rom which is missing Google Play Store and all Google services (Generally not recommended) Can be found here http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Slate-Tablets-Knowledge/Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Android-4-Vanilla/ta-p/808729]   [Stock Lenovo K1 ICS]

2. Thanks to developer khanning we do have an AOSP version of the above rom with a fully functional Play Store included. This rom comes in 2 version. Stock and rooted. If you do not know what “rooted” means then I suggest you stick to the stock rom. Both can be found for download in khanning’s thread. Also remember if you want to show him some thanks for his work he has a donation link if you click his profile. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808017 [AOSP ICS w/Play Store]

Just download whichever Zip update package you believe is best for you and extract the contents into an easily accessible folder.

Assuming you have followed these instructions you are now...

Ready to Flash:

Flashing is relatively simple, but the instructions must be followed carefully to avoid any complications.

First thing is to boot your tablet into APX mode.

To boot into APX mode:
1. Power off
2. Hold down the Vol - and the Vol +
3. While holding the Volume keys down, Power on
4. The display should go black, and both LED's on either side of the home button should light up. This is APX mode.

Now you need to plug the USB cable into your tablet.
Next, you need to go the directory where you extracted the update zip. Find the "flash-windows.bat" file and double click. You should see some text appear on your tablet, this means it is working. Just sit back and wait. Once it has finished it will automatically reboot and you should see Android 4.0 ICS boot up.

F.A.Q. Courtesy of aleafonthewind

Thanks to Lenovo for the ICS update and source, aleafonthewind for an awesome FAQ, and Khanning for working on our tab as well as providing most of these instructions.

***I hope this thread has helped you. If something was confusing let me know and I  will try to clarify it.***

Options

10 Posts

07-03-2012

Canada

32 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: [Fully working Play Store] Guide/FAQ for ICS on Lenovo Ideapad K1 [7/31]

2012-08-01, 6:44 AM
The play store in Khanning's initial AOSP ROM is certainly improved over previous versions of ICS but is still not fully working. To date no ICS build on the K1 has achieved the level of app compatibility in 3.2.1 HC. As pointed out in the thread on xda devs Chrome is still not working. I have noticed in the list of apps that I own that most items that were not working in the stock ICS build now are (ex. Maps, street view, free editions of angry birds games, paid fruit ninja). I have also noticed however that a significant number of items that worked fine in the stock release are now showing incompatible (ex. Google Earth, Oscura, Scramble with Friends, Monsters Ate my Condo). All of these apps were accessible in the play store in HC. For what its worth I have not yet tried manipulating build.prop to spoof another tab in the AOSP ROM but this method was largely ineffective in resolving similar issues with the stock ROM.

This is not me griping about the situation as I remain greatful to Kreg for his work on the K1 but rather I am setting expectations for other users as well as sharing my experiences in the hope it will be helpful to Kreg and others in the ongoing effort to create a fully functioning ICS (and hopefully later JB) ROM for K1 users. I would post on XDA devs but the thread is in the development section and not open to new users.
Options

1 Posts

08-13-2012

United States

1 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 3 of 5

2012-08-13, 13:47 PM

Thanks!! it is working very well, ICS on Ideapad, the one released by Lenovo is dumb, good for noting, but the one given in this post, I used the stock ASOP version, works smooth!

Options

1 Posts

01-11-2012

Florida

23 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 4 of 5

2012-08-21, 12:15 PM

The files: K1_ICS_AOSP_Rooted_R2.zip dfddf13bf51e357a4964a11a8adbfd53 are no longer on the site. Is there another location to get the files?

Options

1 Posts

09-04-2015

United States

2 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 5 of 5

2015-09-04, 7:09 AM

Hello, buddy.

Thank you very much for the information.

Here I am, three years later, trying to upgrade my IdeaPad K1 to a latest Android OS. 

I have tried EVERYTHING. I followed the instructions very carefuly. I updated my driver on both my Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 computers, put the tablet on the recovery mode through the +- and power, the computers recognized the new hardware, double clicked on the flash-win.bat file, and it just ejected the tablet, but nothing happened on the actual tablet. 

I also tried installing the android SDK tool, went to developer options and checked the USB debugging option, ran CMD as administrator, and I got this message "C:\windows\system32>adb shell k1recovery
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

I REALLY, REALLY want to be able to upgrade my tablet. Can you please help me with this?

Thank you very much!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms