Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-30-2016

United States of America

24 Signins

158 Page Views

• Views: 158
  • Message 11 of 12

Re:Google play certification for Tab M8 FHD tb-8705f please?

2021-03-07, 11:37 AM

Oh..don't bother flashing it with an international ROM either. Tried that. Didn't work. Either sideload disney+, netflix, android auto etc.. or get another tab. Or lenovo could certify these but seems real quiet from Lenovo reps on here..lol

Options

45 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

35 Signins

340 Page Views

• Views: 340
  • Message 12 of 12

Re:Google play certification for Tab M8 FHD tb-8705f please?

2021-03-08, 4:47 AM

If the device is the Chinese version (assigned for domestic Chinese use at the factory) then I’m not sure if Lenovo can choose to certify the device. While I was researching the Tab P11 Pro (how to get hold of one in Australia) I read about the lack of Google Play Protect certification on the Chinese version of this tablet. In the case of the P11 Pro (I’m assuming this may also be the case for the M8 FHD) the Chinese version actually has a different model number (TB-J706F_PRC) and serial number format.

At first, I thought this was a cost/time saving measure by Lenovo – why apply for certification if the device doesn’t have Google Play/GMS (Google Mobile Services) installed at the factory? However, some more recent googling now leads me to believe that the issue may be due to a larger disagreement between Google and the Chinese government. It seems that Google Play Protect Certification is.. unavailable for devices assigned for domestic Chinese use at a factory level (even those devices with identical hardware and flashed with a manufacture's official ROW ROM). This may not be news to some, but I wasn’t aware. At least, this seems to be the case with Xiaomi products, so I guess the same may be true for Lenovo and other Chinese manufactures (manufactures who sell products both in China and abroad).

It seems like Google may use a “security feature” as a pawn in its commercial disagreements with China.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms