Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

41 Posts

11-30-2012

Owenton Kentucky

65 Signins

408 Page Views

• Views: 408
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: How do I Disable UI on A2109

2012-12-02, 9:34 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of that?
To simple I guess..... DUH!!!!!!
Options

41 Posts

11-30-2012

Owenton Kentucky

65 Signins

408 Page Views

• Message 12 of 19

2012-12-02, 9:46 AM
I forgot to ask, If I disable the ones in apps running.
Will they stay disabled until
I start them again, even if I restart? Just as they would in Windows?
Options

325 Posts

10-04-2012

United States

777 Signins

4689 Page Views

• Views: 4689
  • Message 13 of 19

2012-12-02, 18:07 PM

wrote:
I forgot to ask, If I disable the ones in apps running.
Will they stay disabled until
I start them again, even if I restart? Just as they would in Windows?

First, I would recommend using Titanium Backup to save your system settings.  That will preserve your desktop layout (I believe).  But you have to be rooted.  If you are using custom launchers, I assume that's the case.

Second, you can disable apps in the "Running" screen, but 1)it's generally not recommended, and 2)they will restart anytime the system wants them to.

What I have done is to purchase System Tuner Pro.  ROM Toolbox pro is another good choice.  Maybe you'll want to experiment with each.  In any case, both allow you to "freeze" applications.  What this does is to hide the application from the system without the dangers of actually uninstalling it.  You can freeze the Idea Desktop, but I would make sure to set a different launcher first (possibly with Home Switcher).  I think the system is smart enough to use another installed launcher if the default is not available, but I wouldn't take any chances!

There are more tweaks you can do with the above tools.  One is to look at the apps that launch on startup and disable just about everything that's not necessary for the system or for a widget.  Also, system apps that you'll never use (and never want to use) you can freeze.  I think mobile data is a good example -- this is only useful for cellular communications AFAIK.

That's certainly enough for now.  Let me know when you need more guidance.

FloRider

PS

Please read this post and reply if you agree.  This is a forum problem that is causing a lot of grief for those of us trying to help new users.

Options

1145 Posts

08-30-2012

United States of America

795 Signins

28316 Page Views

• Views: 28316
  • Message 14 of 19

2012-12-03, 2:13 AM

I think there's some confusion here.

There's a difference between 'Force Stop' and 'Disable' in ICS.

Force Stopping an app justs kills the running app, it will be restarted again when needed or when Android feels like it.

Disabling an app prevents it from running at all (this is new in ICS).  The only way the app will become undisabled (other than you Enabling it) is a factory reset or a firmware update which updates that app.  The only exception to that is if you disable an app that Android absolutely needs, it may re-enable it on a reboot.

Options

325 Posts

10-04-2012

United States

777 Signins

4689 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2012-12-03, 3:04 AM

wrote:

I think there's some confusion here.

There's a difference between 'Force Stop' and 'Disable' in ICS.

Force Stopping an app justs kills the running app, it will be restarted again when needed or when Android feels like it.

Disabling an app prevents it from running at all (this is new in ICS).  The only way the app will become undisabled (other than you Enabling it) is a factory reset or a firmware update which updates that app.  The only exception to that is if you disable an app that Android absolutely needs, it may re-enable it on a reboot.

Sorry -- I should have looked at the Apps screen before speaking.  Running apps can be force closed from the Running app screen by clicking Stop.  It's usually harmless when closing downloaded apps -- the worst scenario I can think of is data loss.  Force-closing system apps is risky and can lead to Armageddon.  Well, you might possibly corrupt some data and/or brick your device, but I think you're likely to need at most just a hard reboot.

Many or most system apps, of course, are completely safe to stop -- think "music", "wallpaper", "fx", and other such keywords.  In situations where you're not sure, it's best to have a Titanium backup and just kill the task.  If things go horribly wrong -- and I don't think I've ever seen this -- you have your backup.

Options

41 Posts

11-30-2012

Owenton Kentucky

65 Signins

408 Page Views

• Message 16 of 19

2012-12-03, 5:06 AM
Worse case?
I figure if I would Bork my system, I'd just do a OEM reset.
I am almost ready for a complete redo at anytime, I quite often back up all most e everything I touch, even my favorite programs apk's..
More then anything I was talking about was only programs that are known to be safe to disable and or stop entirely..

I'll wait a few until I see how well I like everything on my new A2109, and then go from there...
But then again just ask my wife often times I don't know when to leave well enough alone...
Options

325 Posts

10-04-2012

United States

777 Signins

4689 Page Views

• Message 17 of 19

2012-12-03, 5:41 AM

But then again just ask my wife often times I don't know when to leave well enough alone...

LOL!  I've fallen victim to that before.  Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where you are in your adventures, so I'm reading through your previous posts:

"But if I disable as many OEM applications that I can do you think that will drop it much?  The launcher I'm playing with on my iconia right now is Go Launcher, And I'm still averaging 400+- mob of free memory."

Sounds like a lot of free mem.  Are you looking for more?

"I tried Go Launcher and while it is a great app, Putting your icons in the order that you like on your screens is next to impossible."

I hear Holo and Nova launchers are popular now... I've become attached to the Idea Desktop, I believe.

Let us know when you're ready to strip out the dead weight from your tab.  I think MCL's ROM will be your first stop.

FloRider

Options

41 Posts

11-30-2012

Owenton Kentucky

65 Signins

408 Page Views

• Message 18 of 19

2012-12-03, 6:02 AM
It's going to be a month or so before I get my A2109, I am just looking through the forums getting ready for it.
I,very read about all the dead weight as you call it, and I agree the least the better.
I am going to read about rooting as well as flashing the rom, as I've said I used Linux awhile back, so I'm not afraid of tampering around with an OS.
Not even in Windows, and I'm a gamer who always craves more memory.
I was/am just exploring all the different ways I can go when I get my new Tablet.

As always I'm most grateful for everyone's help, and I always welcome ides.
Thanks gain.
Options

325 Posts

10-04-2012

United States

777 Signins

4689 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2012-12-03, 6:05 AM

No problem :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms