Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

07-25-2012

Chicago, IL

32 Signins

401 Page Views

• Views: 401
  • Message 1031 of 1116

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

2012-07-26, 15:37 PM

In everyone's opinion is ICS worth going through all the trouble of restoring all apps & data and/or possibly losing it all? I haven't' played with ICS yet (didn't want to tease myself) so I'm honestly curious if the juice is worth the squeeze?? I haven't every rooted any of my Android devices so I'd have to figure all of that out on top of it.

Options

68 Posts

04-16-2012

Kansas, US

128 Signins

908 Page Views

• Views: 908
  • Message 1032 of 1116

2012-07-26, 15:39 PM

wrote:

wrote:

You'd probably have to root the K1 and install Titanium Backup before the upgrade and use it to backup your apps. You could copy your data over to an SD card or onto your computer with a USB cable.

After the upgrade, you will be able to restore your apps and data, and additionally, you could sideload the Play Store so that you could have it on ICS. I imagine that after the upgrade becomes available, some instructions for sideloading the Play Store will soon be written by someone.

Anybody know if there is a way to root the K1 without wiping the tablet (of apps and data)? All of the (rooting) instructions that I've run across on xda-developer and rootzwiki wipe the tablet clean.

Thanks!

You can use ES File Explorer. After you open ESFE click on the button on the top that says appmgr. It will take you to a list of apps that are installed (altough not all are shown). Click the select button at the top and begin selecting all of the apps you want to back up. Then after you have selected the ones you want click backup on the top. It will save them to a folder called backups on the K1's main storage, so you will have to copy them to an external SD card or plug the usb cord in and copy them to your computer.

Options

36 Posts

06-19-2012

40 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 1033 of 1116

2012-07-26, 16:02 PM

wrote:

In everyone's opinion is ICS worth going through all the trouble of restoring all apps & data and/or possibly losing it all? I haven't' played with ICS yet (didn't want to tease myself) so I'm honestly curious if the juice is worth the squeeze?? I haven't every rooted any of my Android devices so I'd have to figure all of that out on top of it.

I can't speak about ICS on the K1 because that is yet to be seen, but overall ICS is a fairly monumental upgrade over HC with plenty of cool features, improvements, performance, etc. If you're on the fence I would wait until some of us eager users install the update and then report on the experience.

Options

26 Posts

04-17-2012

United States

25 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 1034 of 1116

2012-07-26, 18:05 PM

wrote:

I can't speak about ICS on the K1 because that is yet to be seen, but overall ICS is a fairly monumental upgrade over HC with plenty of cool features, improvements, performance, etc. If you're on the fence I would wait until some of us eager users install the update and then report on the experience.

Ice Cream Sandwich is a HUGE upgrade over Honeycomb.  It is the update that, quite honestly, brings Android to and beyond the level of iOS.  Whilst ICS does not have Project Butter integrated with it (as the Jelly Bean update does), I am honestly quite suprised my Xoom recieved the Jelly Bean update... it was the FirsT Honeycomb tablet and is realistically outdated hardware.  I think the K1 will truly rock out with ICS and sideloading the Google Play Store is nothing more than checking Install from Unknown Sources and loading up the apk from a File Manager app.  I am truely excited to recieve the ICS update for the K1 and can't wait to get my hands on it!!!

Options

12 Posts

07-25-2012

Chicago, IL

32 Signins

401 Page Views

• Views: 401
  • Message 1035 of 1116

2012-07-26, 18:29 PM
Well I'm sold on ICS... Mr. Mark hook it up man!
Options

36 Posts

06-19-2012

40 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 1036 of 1116

2012-07-26, 18:57 PM

wrote:
Well I'm sold on ICS... Mr. Mark hook it up man!

You should be. Many consider HC to be a rushed version that was only put out there to have something to compete with the iPad. To put it in laymans terms HC=Windows Vista, ICS=Windows 7

Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 1037 of 1116

2012-07-26, 19:08 PM

wrote:

You should be. Many consider HC to be a rushed version that was only put out there to have something to compete with the iPad. To put it in laymans terms HC=Windows Vista, ICS=Windows 7

In addition, HC was written/released specifically for Tablets in order to take advantage of the larger screens and resolution AND additional hardware (USB ports, which we lack, and Bluetooth keyboards, etc)

As for the ICS release said to be here today (Mark replied at 3:xx pm PDT yesterday, so still about 3-4 hours for him to get back to us at least before people have reason to begin flaming again... :) ), it should prove to bring our tablet into the mainstream since ICS is a Phone/Tablet OS. The release of the Source code, especially the Kernel Source, to me, is more important than that of the ICS OS release. Generally, the devs custom ROMs are much better than anything released from manufacturer's. CM9 (and Possibly CM10) requires the ICS kernel to continue on this tablet and help the devs make everything work as intended. The interesting thing about this release, and why I'm glad it's not an OTA, is that it's a Vanilla release. So, it's almost like getting a custom ROM directly from the manufacturer. Although I have been a little irritated over pushed out dates, over and over, the wait will prove to be worth it.

-Cybie

Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 1038 of 1116

2012-07-26, 19:22 PM

wrote:

Over the last two weeks, we've focused on refining the installation procedure and during this work, and may soon have a way for customers to reload the latest Honeycomb version.  (we still have some further testing and effort to get that image ready).   The point being that if someone didn't like the ICS version and wanted to go back to Honeycomb, they could.  I'm sure that the more technically savvy customers already have a handle on this.  

--> I think you nailed that perfectly, as I had ICS/CM9 and was easily able to revert back to HC, in fact a Rooted HC of the latest release (1414), via a thread at XDA... very simple and no issues...

We have the ICS package together - we are doing another day of testing and then I plan to provide it here for download sometime tomorrow.   We will also work to get it published on the support site, but that will take a few more days.  

--> It's tomorrow! LoL. But, I have faith you will get this to us before you go home. Time will tell and I'm glad you guys are taking the extra day here to test it again. Nothing worse than killing your android with a bad release for some simply overlooked issue.

We are also working to make the source code available.   I know that is important as not only a requirement, but also useful to the developer community.  I'm mentioning it now as I won't have the download link for the source tomorrow, but should within a couple of days.

--> This right here should give you and Lenovo a LOT of credit. Lenovo showing that development on their products as an important measure of ability is highly appreciated as many android device manufacturers tend to threaten people with voided warranties when rooting a device. Of course, at this time in the stage, not much warranty left for many, assuming a 1 year. But, I should ask... If this update is applied and later the tablet has hardware issues and still covered under warranty, will Lenovo still honor the warranty? Let me stress, if the issue is specifically hardware related and not a brick issue for a bad flash....(IE:Software related)???

Thanks

Mark

--> And, although some disagree, I thank you for your efforts here as I did in the past. It's not required that you enter into the community forums and play advocator for us to Lenovo. It should also be noted that the information that you have been sharing could've been cut-off by Lenovo telling you that you weren't in the position to do so in a community forum. They have not done that and shows that Lenovo does care about their customers, even though some think not because of the lack of delivery on dates. Keep up the good work, Mark, and thanks for this update. Just don't let Lenovo fail us at this point. :-)

-Cybie

Options

9 Posts

06-22-2012

canada

14 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 1039 of 1116

2012-07-26, 19:29 PM

Well, John Q. Lenovo has our number. Now we play the waiting game.

....Aw, the waiting game sucks! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

:D

Options

9 Posts

05-10-2012

spring, TX

27 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 1040 of 1116

2012-07-26, 19:43 PM

so when is ICS coming out.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms