Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

255 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

236 Signins

1864 Page Views

• Views: 1864
  • Message 191 of 1116

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

2012-04-19, 13:07 PM

@ Pom-Bear

I certainly do not support Lenovo's deceptive business practices nor endorse them. As you said, this isn't Apple we're dealing with here, where you can expect a greedy product release model and nonfunctional trash. I also agree that we kind of got screwed with Lenovo killing their product just a few months after its creation.

Actually, I agree with everything you said (in this post).

However, I do not think that saying "Let's just install Windows 8!" does anything to help this situation and is irrelevant given the context of this thread.

Also, Android may not be a fully polished OS quite yet, but it's damΠ close. Just because it isn't is certainly not a reason to delay upgrading or drop support for a relatively new product, which is what you seemed to be implying.

Options

149 Posts

12-09-2011

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

834 Signins

6770 Page Views

• Views: 6770
  • Message 192 of 1116

2012-04-19, 14:41 PM

wrote:
>>I'm not talking about a launcher but really the big widget that lenovo put. The one that allows you to go straight to mail, watch, listen and read.

That is a launcher. The Lenovo one is a particularly crappy one, too, as it does not allow for much customization.

This is not to be confused with the white speech balloon icon in the centre of the bottom bar that's intended to launch your choice of Social Media apps. I believe that this is built into the Lenovo customization, and can't appear in any non-Lenovo installation (without some serious hacking).

The big lotus-flower thing that takes up most of a screen, is customizable for colour and transparency, and launches apps for Mail, Watch, Listen and Read (and Browser in the center) really is a widget. I know this because I deleted mine, but it still shows up in the drawer with all the other widgets.

What I don't know is if there is a way to backup and restore widgets.

Options

60 Posts

01-27-2012

NH

53 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 193 of 1116

2012-04-19, 16:16 PM
 "Let's just install Windows 8!"
Actually, I believe MS has stated 8 will only be available as an OEM OS  and will not be available as a standalone OS for loading on other tabs.

Options

255 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

236 Signins

1864 Page Views

• Message 194 of 1116

2012-04-19, 16:44 PM
I'm assuming that wasn't directed at me, since that was my point...

I was saying you can't just install Windows 8 on any Android tablet, which is what Pom-Bear had suggested.
Options

52 Posts

03-13-2012

Canada

188 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 195 of 1116

2012-04-19, 21:15 PM
" What I don't know is if there is a way to backup and restore widgets."
There sure is a way. If someone's tell me where the widget is located I could backup in case of lost after the update.
Options

60 Posts

01-27-2012

NH

53 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 196 of 1116

2012-04-19, 22:36 PM

aleanfonthewind

Sorry, I should have been more clear - yes, it was meant as a reponseto pom-bear's statement about Windows 8, as it will not be available for tabs other than OEM distributions.

Options

3 Posts

03-29-2012

Czech Republic

4 Signins

72 Page Views

• Views: 72
  • Message 197 of 1116

2012-04-20, 22:47 PM
Earlier Android 4.0.x disadvantages - looks good, but for now is better not to have it:

We may found in all product lines of Lenovo two basic values - stability and reliability of the hardware and software therefore Android 4 earliest edition is worst example for perfect OS:

Starting with Draining of the device Batteries - Google programmers is anything else but not 'old generation' programmers and because of that they just could not understand many things, but one of them is that massive usage of the processor power for precompiling of JavaScript’s and optimizing Web pages - eat batteries of mobile phones - therefore Chrome browser is really good only for systems plugged in power outlet. Other disturbing discovery is how Android 4.0.x handle Network Communications - especially Wi-Fi connections - current driver is so energy inefficient that it eats battery equal to powering of the second Screen.

So should Lenovo Update all “IdeaPad” and “ThinkPads” to Android 4.0.1, but later announced to all, that battery will be drained for just 6 h? Most probably they will choose never to update to 4.0.1, but instead use it for some Lab existing models and in some TV advertisement just to keep better rating.

Google should found some 'old generation' programmer to put under control this 2 serious problems finding right solution similar to the way how Apple made it in IOS or Microsoft in their "mango" 7.5 Windows for Phones.

Android 4 continue to have same Old problem with the horrible imprecise touch recognition and horrible response to simple UI operations like Scrolling, Selecting (text, objects ...) till when? Is there somebody that understands this problem in Google? This is already edition 4, and Microsoft has super precise touch recognition and response from the same beginning with Windows for Phones.

People are not stupid and when they test Apple, Windows Phones and then Android devices - they make the difference immediately - since Touch & Response is the first things that they captured.

@aleafonthewind
Yes, My logical conclusion is that very soon Lenovo will give a chance to their customers to try Tablets with Windows and looks like K1 will receive it's "stable" Android 4.0.x almost at the same time - for fun/ otherwise will be not interesting to leave Windows to Win without some kind of last words - in the last episode of the battle.

@Gnreux , @bdawg111
I am more than sure that Lenovo will provide with the new version same wonderful customizations, because of which We prefer to have their edition of the Android OS - including Central Screen Activity Selector, Favorite Applications Selector, "Task killer" red button which make sense of the otherwise useless pop-up task list in standard Android edition.

Options

255 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

236 Signins

1864 Page Views

• Message 198 of 1116

2012-04-21, 15:52 PM
@Pom-Bear

You must work for Microsoft.
Options

6 Posts

04-17-2012

United States

29 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 199 of 1116

2012-04-22, 3:24 AM

all i know is if ICS does not get rid of the buggy glitchy tablet I'm never owning an android device again. I gave it a shot for flash and its flexibility with outputs etc but if it is slow in the first place why does it matter? Who cares if it has a 1 GHz processor- its slow when you get down to it along with other issues.

My iphone is much faster than this and the apple store are coming out with apps where you may not need flash ( in my instance watching abc shows on the tablet-for lenovo i would go online and go that route, now apple has an abc app where you can watch episodes from there).

I laugh when I see "Tegra 3 1.7 GHz" etc...it does not matter how  fast the processor is, it all has to do with what is running in the background- it will most likely still be buggy and slow and make me wait or force close every time. 

Apple did it right and that is why it is so popular, Android has not and that is why they are losing popularity and lose first time customers fairly fast. 

Options

57 Posts

02-26-2012

Us

186 Signins

792 Page Views

• Views: 792
  • Message 200 of 1116

2012-04-22, 3:58 AM
I dont think is the OS with the k1 bugs, cause I own a samsung galaxy S2 and that thing is snappy and efficiant and its running on gingerbread. It just seems the components on the K1 dont work well together, there always seems to be a lag when typing, opening programs closing programs, and the automatics shuts that it does when surfing the web
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms