Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

46 Posts

05-26-2012

Canada

58 Signins

342 Page Views

• Views: 342
  • Message 781 of 1116

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

2012-07-12, 16:01 PM

wrote:

the HC is buggy and I believe the ICE will fix these issues I brought two K1 and both had problems after the HC updates,one did not want to power on and the other  touchsreen stop working if you power it  off for too long, some apps has to be force to stop, because of issues with the K1 tablet . I believe the ICE will fix the issues with the K1.I have ICE on the HP touchpad since FEB, and we prefer it for now  :smileysad:

Well,  I'm not sure your problems are OS related since many would also have these problems.   I think it is more HW fault,  so any update nor ICS will help in your case.    My K1 is at 14_14 (the latest US available),  wiped from most bloatware and is working top notch  (e.g.  no forced crashes nor non working touch pad)  and I turn it off every time I use it to expand battery life.   I agree Wifi and GPS are the weak part of K1 though,  but consider you have a budget tablet.   I don't believe ICS will strenghten your wifi or GPS signal.   I rather think the antena was badly engineered or misplaced in this device.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 782 of 1116

2012-07-12, 16:18 PM

wrote:

Well,  I'm not sure your problems are OS related since many would also have these problems.   I think it is more HW fault,  so any update nor ICS will help in your case.    My K1 is at 14_14 (the latest US available),  wiped from most bloatware and is working top notch  (e.g.  no forced crashes nor non working touch pad)  and I turn it off every time I use it to expand battery life.   I agree Wifi and GPS are the weak part of K1 though,  but consider you have a budget tablet.   I don't believe ICS will strenghten your wifi or GPS signal.   I rather think the antena was badly engineered or misplaced in this device.

I have to agree.  With 14_14 (3.2.1), I have very few problems with my K1.  While I wouldn't exactly describe the WiFi and GPS in the K1 as "strong", "quick", or "precise", for most purposes they work just fine (I get 72Mbps Wifi anywhere in my house, and the GPS works quite well for car travel and geocaching).  So if people are expecting ICS to be the "fix-all" for any issues they've been having, I'm thinking they're going to be disappointed.  In fact, you shouldn't be surprised if the ICS build creates some other issues, although I hope the release delays can be attributed to Lenovo still wringing out some final bugs.  Keep in mind that just because a given version of Android works well on one hardware platform, that doesn't mean that same version automatically works better on all platforms.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 783 of 1116

2012-07-12, 16:22 PM

wrote:

Now that ICS is imminent, is there going back to HC 3.2.1 from ICS if  I don't like it or if is too buggy?

There are some "unofficial" ways to do so, but I'm hoping that Lenovo will provide a more official way of doing it as part of this ICS release.  And you would have to go through the recovery/reinstallation of your apps and data again.

Options

62 Posts

01-21-2012

usa

450 Signins

1511 Page Views

• Views: 1511
  • Message 784 of 1116

2012-07-12, 18:29 PM

The current 14_14 (in my case 99_99) ver of HC is just working fine for me. After replacing the launcher, it is even faster. But you hear all these good thing about ICS. I  definitely want to try ICS in the hope of making the K1 even better. Just in case ICS is not up to par with my liking, as long as there is a way to go back, I am good.

Options

36 Posts

06-19-2012

40 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 785 of 1116

2012-07-12, 18:50 PM

wrote:

The current 14_14 (in my case 99_99) ver of HC is just working fine for me. After replacing the launcher, it is even faster. But you hear all these good thing about ICS. I  definitely want to try ICS in the hope of making the K1 even better. Just in case ICS is not up to par with my liking, as long as there is a way to go back, I am good.

Trust me you won't want to go back. While not completely terrible, especially after all the minor updates. HC is the windows vista of android and ICS is better in everyway. 

Options

52 Posts

03-13-2012

Canada

188 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 786 of 1116

2012-07-12, 20:36 PM

wrote:

BTW,  I don't see what's funny at saying that since ICS alpha relese from XDA is half working,  staying at HC is a better choice for most people.   Unless you like to play around with the box instead of using it's content,  continously flashing a device to get this and that sound annoying for most people.   Please respect those that don't think like you  :) and they will respect you in return.

You understood wrong haha! I wasn't talking about that particular post but the one on the previous page ;), which was :

wrote:

Well it's close to the middle of July now. Still no update. Looks like it's time for another fabricated statement. Should sound something like this.  "We have been having some development issues but I have talked to  the team and the update should be up soon. It might take an extra six months to a year to get this update posted to a website.( you know legal disclaimers and all) We were real close with the last update until late in the testing stage we realized most user will want the  touchscreen to function. We understand your frustration and hope you realize next time buy a nexus if you want updates."  This will be followed with a torrent of post saying  the Thanks Mark really appreciate you feeding us the company line. With another set Saying I'll never buy another Lenovo anything and I'm selling this on ebay, Oh will this fix the autobrightness. Well here's to another month of delays and infighting. Strap in and get ready for the ride forum members.

Options

25 Posts

01-28-2012

Florida

28 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 787 of 1116

2012-07-13, 12:48 PM

Funny, still waiting for ICS on the Lenovo K1 and here I was able to install it on my 4 year old netbook running with no issues so far.

Options

95 Posts

04-13-2012

USA

390 Signins

2291 Page Views

• Views: 2291
  • Message 788 of 1116

2012-07-13, 13:07 PM

wrote:

Funny, still waiting for ICS on the Lenovo K1 and here I was able to install it on my 4 year old netbook running with no issues so far.

You were able to install ICS on a netbook runing a x86/x64 processor?  You, sir, are a master of android!

Options

25 Posts

01-28-2012

Florida

28 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 789 of 1116

2012-07-13, 14:29 PM

Ha! Wish I can take the credit for it. Found this online:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-android-netbook/

On a side note just got a call from Gamestop that my Nexus 7 I had preordered is in ready to pick up!!!!! Gonna get me some Jelly Bean love!!!!

Options

46 Posts

05-26-2012

Canada

58 Signins

342 Page Views

• Views: 342
  • Message 790 of 1116

2012-07-13, 18:23 PM

@gnreux

My apologies then.   I thought you made reference to another post from the same author which appear to be a bit stingy

Like many,  I think this thread should be closed.   It's too emotive now.  All those threatening Lenovo to immolate themselves with their K1 just don't realize Lenovo DGAF about 'em after all.   Lenovo make their business with corporate sales.   Consumer market is hot-dog selling for them.   Hard to hear,  but the thruth.

I would suggest anyone to wait buying a device already packed with what you want next time rather than relying on promises.  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms