Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

12-14-2011

Hong Kong

210 Signins

727 Page Views

• Views: 727
  • Message 811 of 1116

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for Ideapad K1

2012-07-16, 13:18 PM

I guess he/she refers to kernel source/drivers things

which is the work of lenovo/nvidia not google

Options

6 Posts

05-20-2011

NYCity

6 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 812 of 1116

2012-07-16, 14:28 PM

I have been watching this thread evolve on a daily basis. I must say that this is the worst experience I have ever had with this company. 

It started with my laptop, Y560P. Gradient colors seem like they have ants on the screen and then the high DPC latency issue. I sent it in because the high DPC latency would make it stutter, sound stutters for 2-3 seconds along with video , overall screen lag for the duration of the audio stutter. It happened almost every minute. Tried everything from running without the battery to disabling key features of what made a laptop well, a laptop. 

Lenovo sent me the lapotop back with a reformatted drive and a "refurbished" battery. I say refurbished because the replacement had scuffs that mine did not. It also had a sticker that looked kind of old. The stickers on the bezel around the keyboard were all crooked as well. Also the main reason it was sent in for was not fixed(a year ago). Nice Job Lenovo. 

A few weeks ago I noticed there was a BIOS update that fixed this issue. Why not fix this issue in the first place when I sent it in? That was my only computer while I was in school and they kept it for TWO weeks to give it back to me in unsatisfactory condition. I didn't complain because it wouldnt of achieved anything. Now that the BIOS is updated it all works well. It only took a year, a refurbished battery and stickers misaligned. Not really concerned about the stickers but that shows that something else went on because thats not how it was sent in. 

Now on to the topic of discussion with the tablet. Lenovo promised the source code. They released, but it was all wrong. Not wrong, but not what we would of hoped for that would of been usable. So essentially since it cant be used you could say it wasnt even released lol. 

Now this issue with updating their tablets. I will not accept any statement from Lenovo as supportive backing or even having any basis on intellectual behavior. Sorry Lenovo, you lost me. I'm not going to boycott or do anything obsurd because lenovo makes money off business deals with businesses, but as a consumer at a consumer level, theyre worthless and ulcer inducing. 

Again, at a consumer level as a consumer I will be moving on to the better more reliable platforms and makers such as Nexus 7 tablet by Asus. Maybe something else will come along, maybe not. I thought this tablet was a keeper at the time of purchase. I anxiously waited for XDA devs to unlock this to its full potential but when they found dual locks on this thing such as U-boot we were all SOL thanks again to Lenovo for a useless source code release that did absolutely nothing.

Yes people will say this and that about getting source code to unlock or root a device. In the end we, well most of us, buy Android because we CAN customize to our liking because that is what Google intended. Yes it is cheaper and so I bit the bullet, but when source code is promised to be released then why not release the full source code? 

I say forget ICS update from lenovo and release the FULL Source Code with unlocked bootloader(s) because we all know the developers at XDA or elsewhere can get the job done for a mere donation while the corporate office is trying to make residual income with bundled software or bloatware and hired developers limited by lunchbreaks, coffee breaks, holidays, sick days and managers looking over their shoulder and being told to do another job while trying to complete another for the sake of saving or continuing promised profits in another department overseen by logistics. 

Stop testing failed updates and release the source code so we can write our own update that will work.

I wasn't this angry before I wrote this. 

GL to everyone that has the K1.

Options

7 Posts

06-07-2012

Berlin

68 Signins

590 Page Views

• Views: 590
  • Message 813 of 1116

2012-07-16, 18:04 PM

I've an interesting link from xda. --> Link <-- :heart:
Everyone knows Jelly Beans (Android 4.1)?
JB is out for few days and I have it running on my Galaxy S (with Google Play Store)!
This release is an alpha / unofficial and works perfectly, much better than CM9.

How is it possible that one single person can build a relaese in few days and Lenovo in weeks?

I can't find any excuse for that! This is absolutly unprofessional!

Mark, the problem can't be the Google Play Store, it must be something else! If you need assistant, than ask the community!

Options

273 Posts

12-27-2011

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

568 Signins

6722 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 6722
  • Message 814 of 1116

2012-07-16, 19:07 PM

wrote:

I've an interesting link from xda. --> Link <-- :heart:
Everyone knows Jelly Beans (Android 4.1)?
JB is out for few days and I have it running on my Galaxy S (with Google Play Store)!
This release is an alpha / unofficial and works perfectly, much better than CM9.

How is it possible that one single person can build a relaese in few days and Lenovo in weeks?

I can't find any excuse for that! This is absolutly unprofessional!

Mark, the problem can't be the Google Play Store, it must be something else! If you need assistant, than ask the community!

It's possible because that ROM that you link to is, as you say, an alpha-quality build, and Lenovo has to attempt to make their ROM production-quality before they release it. In order to bundle the Play Store, the ROM must meet the requirements of the Android Compatibility Definition Document, and they must also ensure legal and licensing compliance for distributing the Play Store and other Google Apps. As per Mark's explanation, they can't bundle it because it has to be part of a region-specific image.

If you can't find any excuse for it taking more than a few days, I suggest you try and build a ROM starting from a clean AOSP checkout, and ensure that it complies with all the requirements in the Android Compatibility Definition Document, then navigate all the non-technical requirements for distributing the Play Store as well. If you can achieve all that in a few days, please come back and show us all how it's done.

Or to put it another way: the hurdle is a legal problem, not a technical one, so the fact that someone can build a partially working ROM for any device in the space of a few days is completely irrelevant.

Options

7 Posts

06-07-2012

Berlin

68 Signins

590 Page Views

• Views: 590
  • Message 815 of 1116

2012-07-16, 20:13 PM

I can absolutely understand your point. But, when Lenovo or others want create a release for their smartphones / tablets, there have to follow certain steps in software develoment. When the Dev Teams is in the testing phase, the software is almost finished. You had finished your Software Engineering, Marketing, Legal and what else. You have a plan what you want in the final release. This include all the software and how you want send it out to the customers.

If you are in the testing phase and a part is missing (like the engine of a car), is it a real development error.
This is what some of us not understand. If Marks would say the truth and give us a weekly update, no one will cry.

Options

11 Posts

07-16-2012

Bishop Auckland UK

17 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 816 of 1116

2012-07-16, 21:09 PM
Hello guys, has anyone looked at the ICS Medion P9516 rom on the OTA site, I ask as this should hold the information Khanning was looking for to finish the Alpha build, shouldn't it ?

I also agree that Lenovo should just release the source code and kernel instead of pulling everyone's chain for months, if HTC, Samsung and many others can do it why not them. Especially as they seem to have lost interest and EOL'd the K1.
Options

273 Posts

12-27-2011

568 Signins

6722 Page Views

• Message 817 of 1116

2012-07-16, 21:16 PM

wrote:

I can absolutely understand your point. But, when Lenovo or others want create a release for their smartphones / tablets, there have to follow certain steps in software develoment. When the Dev Teams is in the testing phase, the software is almost finished. You had finished your Software Engineering, Marketing, Legal and what else. You have a plan what you want in the final release. This include all the software and how you want send it out to the customers.

If you are in the testing phase and a part is missing (like the engine of a car), is it a real development error.
This is what some of us not understand. If Marks would say the truth and give us a weekly update, no one will cry.

Thanks for that explanation of the waterfall software development lifecycle.

Software development is far from a mature engineering discipline - oversights and errors are regularly made, because we (collectively) just don't have a well-developed enough understanding of what it takes to ensure success on large software projects. If this issue with the Play Store is the only oversight in the K1 ICS project, then Lenovo aren't doing too badly.

Options

273 Posts

12-27-2011

568 Signins

6722 Page Views

• Message 818 of 1116

2012-07-16, 21:17 PM

wrote:
Hello guys, has anyone looked at the ICS Medion P9516 rom on the OTA site, I ask as this should hold the information Khanning was looking for to finish the Alpha build, shouldn't it ?

I also agree that Lenovo should just release the source code and kernel instead of pulling everyone's chain for months, if HTC, Samsung and many others can do it why not them. Especially as they seem to have lost interest and EOL'd the K1.

If you search for the thread entitled "Android Source Code" you'll find the K1 kernel source that you're looking for.

Edit: it is here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-IdeaTab-Slate-Tablets/Android-Source-Code-Honeycomb/m-p/682163#M5353

Options

11 Posts

07-16-2012

Bishop Auckland UK

17 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 819 of 1116

2012-07-16, 21:32 PM
Hello gmarkall,
Thanks for the response, but that's the HC source not the ICS. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to get the Medion P9516 ICS Rom running on the K1, there can't be much difference, can there ?
Options

273 Posts

12-27-2011

568 Signins

6722 Page Views

• Message 820 of 1116

2012-07-16, 22:06 PM

wrote:
Hello gmarkall,
Thanks for the response, but that's the HC source not the ICS. I'd like to know if anyone has been able to get the Medion P9516 ICS Rom running on the K1, there can't be much difference, can there ?

I'd imagine there isn't much difference - I suspect it's just that no-one with the expertise necessary to get it running has tried it. I haven't seen Khanning or Krook1 in quite a while, and I think they were the only active developers for the K1.

Medion should have released the ICS source already if they're already selling the tablet, but they're typically poor at complying with the GPL. Since Lenovo has a much better position on GPL compliance, it's probably going to be quicker to wait for the Lenovo ICS release and corresponding source code rather than hassling Medion for it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms