Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-24-2013

Thessaloniki, Greece

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 2

Ideapad K1 - How to....

2013-01-24, 12:17 PM

Hey everybody!

Can anyone tell me (since I am quite new to all this) if it's possiblefor someone to install Windows 8 at the Ideapad K1? Or maybe just a Linux OS?

Answer
Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933

Re: Ideapad K1 - How to....

2013-01-25, 15:31 PM

wrote:

Hey everybody!

Can anyone tell me (since I am quite new to all this) if it's possiblefor someone to install Windows 8 at the Ideapad K1? Or maybe just a Linux OS?

No, the K1 will not run Windows 8 (actually, it would have to be Windows RT, which is specifically designed to run on ARM architecture processors).  The problem is that you'd have to have a build of Win RT made just for the K1, with all the appropriate device drivers.  Those are usually provided by the device manufacturer, and in the case of the K1, there is no such package.

Linux may be more possible, especially since you're actually running Linux on it right now (actually, a Linux kernel, with the Android ecosystem on top of it).  I don't know how well they work, but there are some sources out there for Linux builds that run on Android devices.  Of course, you're pretty much on your own.  For example, see http://linuxonandroid.org

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Ideapad K1 - How to....

2013-01-25, 15:31 PM

wrote:

Hey everybody!

No, the K1 will not run Windows 8 (actually, it would have to be Windows RT, which is specifically designed to run on ARM architecture processors).  The problem is that you'd have to have a build of Win RT made just for the K1, with all the appropriate device drivers.  Those are usually provided by the device manufacturer, and in the case of the K1, there is no such package.

Linux may be more possible, especially since you're actually running Linux on it right now (actually, a Linux kernel, with the Android ecosystem on top of it).  I don't know how well they work, but there are some sources out there for Linux builds that run on Android devices.  Of course, you're pretty much on your own.  For example, see http://linuxonandroid.org

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms