Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

48 Posts

01-31-2012

USA

401 Signins

1286 Page Views

• Views: 1286
  • Message 1 of 3

K1 damaged my microsdhc card?!?!?!

2012-04-06, 17:47 PM

I noticed that my month-and-a-half-old K1 seemed to be performing poorly. I went to try to delete a file off of the microsdhc card (a Sandisk 16GB Class 2 that originally came with my phone) and it didn't work. I removed the card and plugged it into several different computers (with various usb adapters as well as onboard sd readers) and every time I either tried to delete anything from or format the card, it told me that the card was write-protected (I used a micro to sd adapter and the tab was definitely not in the locked position, plus the adapter also worked with a couple of other microsdhc cards I own) including the SD Association's Formatter...

Anyhow, things got even worse when I plugged in an extra microsdhc card I own, so I decided to do a "Factory data reset" on the tablet. 

On reboot the K1 gave the following error:

Unrecoverable boot error (0x19000008)

It continued to give me this error for the next hour or so before it finally reboot, and seems to have been reset.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible that the K1 damaged the microsdhc card?
  2. Is the fact that the K1 gave the error above problematic at all? I was actually about to call support and get an RMA when it finally reboot, do you guys think that there is something wrong with my tablet?

Thanks!

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: K1 damaged my microsdhc card?!?!?!

2012-04-06, 18:58 PM

wrote:

I noticed that my month-and-a-half-old K1 seemed to be performing poorly. I went to try to delete a file off of the microsdhc card (a Sandisk 16GB Class 2 that originally came with my phone) and it didn't work. I removed the card and plugged it into several different computers (with various usb adapters as well as onboard sd readers) and every time I either tried to delete anything from or format the card, it told me that the card was write-protected (I used a micro to sd adapter and the tab was definitely not in the locked position, plus the adapter also worked with a couple of other microsdhc cards I own) including the SD Association's Formatter...

Anyhow, things got even worse when I plugged in an extra microsdhc card I own, so I decided to do a "Factory data reset" on the tablet. 

On reboot the K1 gave the following error:

Unrecoverable boot error (0x19000008)

It continued to give me this error for the next hour or so before it finally reboot, and seems to have been reset.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is it possible that the K1 damaged the microsdhc card?
  2. Is the fact that the K1 gave the error above problematic at all? I was actually about to call support and get an RMA when it finally reboot, do you guys think that there is something wrong with my tablet?

Thanks!

It's hard to tell for sure, but there definitely is a circuit in the microsdhc card which controls write access, and it could have failed.   The fact that the card is not writeable in other devices is a strong indication that the failure is inside the card, not in the K1 card reader.  Could the K1 have damaged it?  Not very likely (cards sometimes do just spontaneously fail that way), but not entirely impossible either.  You weren't specific about how things got "worse" when you tried another microsdhc card in the K1, but if another card is not working, that may indicate a problem with the reader.  Of course, the reader slot in the K1 is kind of "touchy" and not easy to access, so you should try carefully reseating the spare card a couple times before giving up.

As far as the boot error, I see a couple places where people have encountered that error after doing a factory data reset, and were told to reboot a few times, and eventually it went away.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that tells the cause or meaning of the error. Hopefully it was just a side effect of the reset, and not anything more fundamental.

Options

60 Posts

01-27-2012

NH

53 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: K1 damaged my microsdhc card?!?!?!

2012-04-06, 21:29 PM

It is also possible that the card was not unmounted prior to removal.  I am not completely familiar with Linux (the basis of the Android OS), but I believe it's crucial, under Linux, that external memory is unmounted prior to removal/disconnect from the systems as the file system remains open (or something like that).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms