Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Smart Tab M8 - cannot change software keyboard

2021-03-30, 16:30 PM

Hi there, I recently got a Lenovo Smart Tab M8 but I'm having an issue changing away from the Gboard keyboard (the default keyboard on the Lenovo ROM).

I've installed Microsoft Swiftkey, but every time I restart the tablet it defaults to Gboard again. I've tried disabling Gboard, but now it defaults to the "Voice Keyboard" instead.

Can someone help please?

Thanks.

Options

2385 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23057 Page Views

• Views: 23057
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Lenovo Smart Tab M8 - cannot change software keyboard

2021-03-30, 16:49 PM

Hello @ LardPhantom!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Try to uninstall the Microsoft SwiftKey app from the Google Play store and reinstall it again.

After that, launch the app and proceed in enabling the SwiftKey app as your Tab M8's keyboard.

You should be brought to a page that asks you to choose the virtual keyboard that you may want to use for your device, one of the available option should be the Microsoft SwiftKey keyboard itself.

Make sure to select the SwiftKey keyboard and turn off the other keyboard options (GBoard etc.) so that it will not interfere with the keyboard that you'll be selecting.

From there, you should be able to complete the setup process to use the SwiftKey keyboard afterwards.

Update us how it goes.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2021-03-30, 17:27 PM
Hi Adriel, thanks for your reply. I've already done this and it doesn't work. I've also tried going in by System>Languages and Input and that doesn't work either. I've also tried setting it though the "Default Apps" menu - but the "keyboard" option does not appear on this list. What else can I try, please?
Options

2385 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23057 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-04-01, 21:36 PM

@ LardPhantom wrote:

Hi Adriel, thanks for your reply.I' already done this and it doesn' work.I' also tried going in by System>Languages and Input and that doesn' work either.I' also tried setting it though the "Default Apps" menu - but the "keyboard" option does not appear on this list.What else can I try, please?

Thanks for the update @ LardPhantom!

It would be advisable to have this be reported to the SwiftKey app support for further recommendation/troubleshooting since the Google keyboard itself is still activating automatically even if it's manually disabled.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-04-02, 10:06 AM

Hi Adrial,

The same thing is happening with *every* keyboard that I install from the app store. Swype, Fleksi, Grammarly.... You mean I now have to go chasing every developer of Keyboards on the App store to find a solution for this?

The problem, as it appears to me, is that the Lenovo ROM is not handling the keyboard module in Android correctly.

Any time the tablet is switched on it is trying to load GBoard, regardless of which other keyboards are installed. If this keyboard has been disabled it reverts to Google Voice Typing. This is compounded by the fact that even if you switch *off* Google Voice Typing in the Settings>Language and Input it *reactivates* by itself, against the users wishes, when you turn the tablet off and back on.

Your ROM also appears to *not have any option to set a default preferred keyboard*, the lack of which is completely unusual for any Android ROM I've used on any device by any manufacturer in the last 10 years.

Can you please tell me

1) How to disable Google Voice Typing on your tablet.

2) How to set a default preferred keyboard.

Thanks.

Options

2385 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23057 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2021-04-02, 14:03 PM

@ LardPhantom wrote:

Hi Adrial,

The same thing is happening with *every* keyboard that I install from the app store. Swype, Fleksi, Grammarly.... You mean I now have to go chasing every developer of Keyboards on the App store to find a solution for this?

The problem, as it appears to me, is that the Lenovo ROM is not handling the keyboard module in Android correctly.

Any time the tablet is switched on it is trying to load GBoard, regardless of which other keyboards are installed. If this keyboard has been disabled it reverts to Google Voice Typing. This is compounded by the fact that even if you switch *off* Google Voice Typing in the Settings>Language and Input it *reactivates* by itself, against the users wishes, when you turn the tablet off and back on.

Your ROM also appears to *not have any option to set a default preferred keyboard*, the lack of which is completely unusual for any Android ROM I' used on any device by any manufacturer in the last 10 years.

Can you please tell me

1) How to disable Google Voice Typing on your tablet.

2) How to set a default preferred keyboard.

Thanks.

Thanks for responding @ LardPhantom!

You may check on this link directly from Google to see the steps on how Google Voice typing can be disabled.

Since the issue also occurs when using other keyboard apps aside from SwiftKey, it would be advisable to have this be reported directly to Google support itself for further recommendations.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2021-04-02, 14:36 PM

Hi Adriel, 

You never responded to my second question.

How do I set my default keyboard on the Lenovo Smart Tab M8 ROM?

Thanks. 

Options

12 Posts

04-06-2021

United States of America

10 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 8 of 11

2021-04-06, 3:25 AM

I also have this exact issue. The only work around I have found is to start Swift while an app is open. Then I kill Swift in the background after I change the keyboard in the app I was using. I also would like to know why there is not a setting for "default keyboard". I can't even disable the Gboard on my tablet.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2021-04-06, 5:35 AM

Thanks for your input @tz8500 

@Adriel_Lenovo can you please advise?

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-04-06, 20:21 PM

@Adriel_Lenovo can you please advise?

I've asked a very straightforward question and it's been several days now since you've given any reply.

Is this really the state of Lenovo's support for it's devices?

If you are unable or unwilling to answer the question can you please pass us on to your supervisor, or another support agent?

Thus is getting rediculous.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms