IL

15 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 91 of 131

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 8 plus major issue - micro SD corruption

2018-03-23, 14:39 PM

wrote:

I have no problem with the SD card after the update a couple of months ago. However the latest update corrupted the wifi connection. Lenovo is a joke and I will certainly go back to Huawei when their new tablet phone comes.

Could you post the version# of the update that started your WiFi issues?

As someone who's been a software professional for nearly 4 decades, I know well that an update that's not extensively tested can break as many things as it fixes, and in current common OSes on computers, tablets & phones, nothing is sufficiently tested (it can't be, with major OS upgrades coming once a year. For stability, it would need to be once every 2-3 years at most). The rule of thumb in R&D management is that ~2x the amount of person-hours invested by the SW developers needs to be invested in testing and QA (including basicunit testing hours in developer hours). 
Therefore, as a tule, I don't install updates unless I see a detailed change log and the update specifically (according to user reports) fixes issues I have. I also usually wait a 6-12 months before installing any major update, and have never been sorry for waiting.

Of course, that's a difficult to do  with Android, since device vendors never publish either "known bug" lists or release notes.

But what about security updates? No difference. The security-software industry is mostly fearmongering, as far as individual devices go (breaches of large databases are a different thing entirely). Unless your tablet has significant sensitive data on it (e.g., you do banking transaction on it, or credit card info), the actual risk of security issues affecting any given tablet are low.

Security updates are frequently issued at most a couple weeks, and sometimes only days,  after the SW vendor finds about the security issue. That's not enough testing time to make sure the update doesn't cause unrelated functional issues (or even introduces mew security bugs. I know of several actual such cases).
Given my tablet use as mainly a  media-consumption device, and  one used nearly always behind a well configured & protected home network, I consider delaying all update installation (including security update) until there's a lot of user experecience a completely acceptable risk. 

With Android, it's easy to install paid Play Store apps remotely, from a computer, so there isn't really a reason for the tablet itself to contain PII CC info.

Options

18 Posts

11-09-2017

CN

20 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 92 of 131

2018-03-23, 14:50 PM

I have been in this group because I unfortunately changed my Huawei tablet phone to Lenovo. My first problem was probably like everyone, the phone kept asking me to format my card. Then I started to meet many IT experts here. I never have similar problem with my previous Huawei tablet phone and I don't with my other smartphone.  My conclusion again, Lenovo is a joke doing Tablet phone, great hardware for value but **bleep** R&D...

Options

9 Posts

03-15-2018

AU

8 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 93 of 131

2018-03-23, 21:19 PM
Agree wholeheartedly , it's the methods I chose also , having been in the industry in various roles since the 70's , I don't trust most updates , esp. if your system is stable. A robust VPN is a necessity not a luxury ! And all the usual security software.As for testing , having been a tester for many years , there is never enough time.
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2018

IN

17 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 94 of 131

2018-03-25, 14:17 PM

Is there anyone who has recently bought this lenovo tab 4 8 plus tablet ( in 2018 ) and are still having this issue of SD cards? I was looking to buy the lenovo tab 4 8 plus in the coming weeks so should I be rest assured?

Options

4 Posts

02-21-2018

GB

11 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 95 of 131

2018-03-25, 14:58 PM

Very tough question to answer.  Some owners seem to have constant problems while others are quite happy.  For me the real worrying issue is that Lenovo have never really acknowledged that the problem exists and that they are actively working on a fix so I reckon it is anyone's guess if the issue has been resolved.

Options

18 Posts

11-09-2017

CN

20 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 96 of 131

2018-03-25, 15:12 PM

I dont have any sd card problem after Lenovo fixed it in their previous update. I am still using it now but honestly i wont recommend it to anyone and i will certainly change when a good replacement tablet phone apppears. I still recall the annoying weeks before they fixed it.

Options

4 Posts

03-02-2018

AU

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 97 of 131

2018-03-25, 21:50 PM

Hi again,

whilst I have experienced some minor issues with SD cards , it would seem that most are related to "fake" cards that are either mislabelled in size , or are simply too slow. The Tab 4 8 Plus 64GB LTE has a fast processor and consequently it will address memory rather quicker than a slower processor , so getting a card to work effectively means making sure the card will perform in that environment.

Having said that , I've experienced no other issues and I certainly purchased mine this year. I do like to way it works and it's almost vanilla version of Android.

My only significant issue is with after sales support , where I wanted a spare SIM card tray ( probably the most breakable/looseable item ! ) only to find they are 1. Rare as , 2. hideously expensive try about USD60 ! , 3. Take more than a month to get ! 

My samsung S7 SIM tray was USD10 ! and available anywhere, instant delivery. It is after all , a consumable item ! A comparable item.

Options

3 Posts

03-25-2018

IN

17 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 98 of 131

2018-03-26, 13:04 PM

Can you people suggest a good resolution tab at the same price range if not this...

Options

4 Posts

02-21-2018

GB

11 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 99 of 131

2018-03-26, 13:30 PM
I have bought a Samsung Galaxy A6 Not as good looking etc but absolutely bullet proof so far.
Options

8 Posts

11-25-2017

US

15 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 100 of 131

2018-03-26, 13:46 PM

I'm still using my galaxy tab s,the performance of the Lenovo tab is better,but reliably the Samsung hasn't eaten anything yet

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete