06-10-2017

BE

40 Signins

416 Page Views

• Views: 416
  • Message 101 of 131

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 8 plus major issue - micro SD corruption

2018-03-26, 15:00 PM

I got it in 2018 januari. It's the european model white version and it's working ok with a 128gb.

Maybe there are different versions for other parts of the world with different brand components for the sd.

Options

7 Posts

03-21-2018

IL

15 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 102 of 131

2018-03-26, 15:21 PM

What are your requirements/wants from a tablet? Mine were hi-resolution and 5GHz WiFi.

I actually prefer 4:3 screen aspect ratio and initially was looking only at those, but that eliminated everything except the Xiaomi Mi Pad 3 (which was oddly discontinued after selling for 3-4 months) or the Samsung Tab S2 / Tab S3 which are quite expensive.

Giving up the screen ratio for 16:10 FHD, it leaves the Samsungs, Huawei Mediapad M3 8.4 /M3 8.4 Lite.
Oh, there are also no-name Chinese brands sold only by GearBest/BangGood/AliExpress, but I don't think repair labs outside China will be able to do anything with them in case of malfunction, and there's no software support at all. They're not that much cheaper, anyway.

If you're willing to consider 10", there are also the

• Mediapad M3 10 Lite
  • Acer Iconia One 10 B3-A40FHD,
    https://uk-store.acer.com/iconia-one-10-tablet-b3-a40fhd-black#specifications
    (but note, there's an identically-named model which is not FHD, just to confuse customers)
  • Samsung Tab A 10.1 (2016) T580/T585
  • Asus Zenpad 10 Z500M (which despite what their specs say, doesn't support Qualcomm Quick Charge, but a different rapid-charging standard called "Pump Express" that basically no 3d-party chargers support)

I ended up getting a 10" -- difference in weight & size between the TAB 4 10 Plus and TAB 4 8 Plus is small,  price difference only $35 locally, and battery life is better on the 10".
the 5GHz Wifi requirement, which for me is an absolute must, is surprisingly difficult to find in low/midrange tablets, and most vendors don't actually say in the specs whether it's supported or not; "802.11n" doesn't say anything about the frequency bands either way.

Important: Don't reply on the specs of one region for devices sold for another. Lenovo completely cripples its tablets in the US, both the Tab 3 and Tab 4 series are 2GB RAM / 16 GB Storage, where in all other markets it's 3GB-4GB and 32GB/64GB. ALL the Huawei tablets sold in the US don't support 5GHz Wifi, because for some reason they don't certify them with the FCC for that.

I bought Lenovo both because of the good HW specs, esp. for the price, and because I expected good HW and SW support (ot a large extent because of excellent experience with Thinkpad business laptop support).

Looks like I didn't do enough research beforehand, given some of the issues mentioned here, and I also already experienced very amateur local service -- the USB cable I got was DOA, and while the lab replaced it quickly, it took too much communications with Lenovo Service to get it sorted.
All that said, I strongly doubt any Android tablet brand except Samsung will have better support than Lenovo. Tablets are not a priority for any vendor. They're a much less profitable item than phones, and sell very little.

Options

4 Posts

03-02-2018

AU

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 103 of 131

2018-03-26, 17:25 PM
Well said MD ! My marketplace is similar to the USA , limited deliberately. My choice was to buy in HK , and the vendor there was most helpful with choices. I also did not know about this forum , would have influenced my decision making. My older Lenovo has been bulletproof and is still going 5 years later , after being carted all over the planet. I agree the Tab 4 series has slightly superior HW specs , and certainly out performs many of the Samsung products , with the major exception of the awful after sales support. Lenovo are pleasant but way too difficult to deal with.
Options

3 Posts

03-25-2018

IN

17 Signins

133 Page Views

• Views: 133
  • Message 104 of 131

2018-03-26, 17:45 PM

@Mountain Dolphin

I'm a medical student and my basic requirements are a tab with a good resolution (atleast full HD ....of course upto 2k would be great for some extra bucks) to clearly view the illustrated images and read PDF books without much strain to the eye ( not to mention I'm severely myopic)....atleast close enough to apples retina display

Plus the tab should have a good pacy processor so that the pages don't take time to get loaded fast( as it happens in xiomi mi pad3)

Yes I would have better bought an i pad for almost the same price but then 32 GB won't be able to contain my book library.... And for 64 GB gosh I'm really tight on money here....

I googled up for other options like xiomi mi pad 3 but yet again it misses on the split screen multi tasking feature which would have come very handy for me for viewing may be the book content and Google contents alongside

News is xiomi mi pad 4 is to launch in around next month... But I'm not really sure whether it will also have the split screen.... If anyone has any info regarding mi pad 4 please do share....

Please do suggest something @ Mountain Dolphin... according to my requirements

P.S. would have really liked a more broader screen like mi

Options

4 Posts

03-20-2018

GB

9 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 105 of 131

2018-03-27, 12:48 PM
OK, it's been a few days usage with a new 64GB Transcend card, and it's flagged it up as corrupted and reformatted it three times now.
I'm done with this tablet. I really, really wanted it to work. There are very few really usable 8" tablets around and this could have been a good one. But I will not be buying another Lenovo product ever, and just in case any Lenovo mods are bothering to read this, neither will my company.
Options

4 Posts

11-30-2017

US

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 106 of 131

2018-05-02, 1:07 AM

I'm going to have to try this method. One of my Tab 4 devices misbehaved last week after working fine for ~4 months. It gives the meesage "SD Card missing - reinsert this device", even though I have reseated the SIM card properly multiple times.

Options

8515 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77397 Signins

2201584 Page Views

• Views: 2201584
  • Message 107 of 131

2018-05-19, 9:04 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

1 Posts

06-01-2018

NO

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 108 of 131

2018-06-01, 14:12 PM

Count me in with Lenovo's disasterous bug. Until now I was unhappy with what they've done to IBM's ThinkPad almost indestructible laptops. They asked for more money, but produced much lower quality ThinkPads. Last Christmas I bough new tablet for my parents who are not getting along with regular computers. It is Lenovo Tab 4 Plus 10". It had only 16GB of internal memory, almost 10 of which is already used by the OS. I bought a 32GB Samsung EVO SDHC class U1 card. The first few attempts to use it failed with card not correctly recognized (still listed as Samsung card though). I formated it as internal memory so apps can also be installed on it if internal memory gets full. Then I transferred all of my parents photos and some music from their old tablet. Everything worked just fine until couple of weeks ago. There was Android update. After it was installed, the card was no longer working. System said it was corrupted. I just spent two whole days trying to restore at least something from it. I used probably over 10 different PC programs for recovery, also MS DOS commands, Testdisk... Nothing worked. I can see the card is Samsung and it is 32GB with some low level functions and managed to list one directory - LOST.DIR, which is empty. FInally I gave up on saving my parents photos from the last 7 years and tried to reformat the card only to find out it is permanently locked in read-only mode and nothing can change that.

With all that said I can only have this as a final. Than you, Lenovo for destroying my parents photo memories from the last 7 years. Also thank you for rendering very nice memory card useless, which cost me EUR13. As a gesture of appretiation, I will never ever buy any Lenovo product ever again and also give advice to avoid Lenovo at any cost to anyone who asks me what computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone I would recommend to buy.

Regards from a totally pissed customer and I wish you painful bancrupcy! I also wish you to be unable to enjoy the money you make from badly tested, overpriced electronics you sell these days!

Options

3 Posts

06-25-2018

GB

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 109 of 131

2018-06-25, 22:39 PM
I should have researched more before buying one! I too have this problem, luckily I only just bought it so it can be returned. Its a shame because I love it otherwise, but with no SD card there just isn't enough memory.
Options

3 Posts

06-25-2018

GB

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 110 of 131

2018-06-25, 22:41 PM
Having read this, it has made my mind up to return my tablet rather than bother trying for a solution from tech support, so thank you!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete