Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus 2nd gen. no external HDD support/ recognition!

2021-03-29, 15:30 PM

Hi all! I'm connecting via USB C cable this  external HDD but there's no response - the HDD doesn't receive power (no blinking light) so it doesn't work.

The same HDD works flawlessly with my Xiaomi Mi A1 with LineageOS ROM so it does work with an Android device and it does work with my Windows 10 PC.

Any suggestions or solutions?

Options

2876 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

284 Signins

25737 Page Views

• Views: 25737
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus 2nd gen. no external HDD support/ recognition!

2021-03-29, 15:37 PM

Hello @ hellenicsun!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Can you please share here first your device's MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2021-03-29, 15:39 PM

@ Adriel_lenovo wrote:

Hello @ hellenicsun!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Can you please share here first your device' MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications?

We' be waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Of course:

Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (2nd gen)

TB-X606F

Options

2021-03-30, 7:29 AM

Should I assume there's no solution and is yet another software issue with current rom?

Options

2876 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

284 Signins

25737 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-03-30, 15:32 PM

@ hellenicsun wrote:

Should I assume there' no solution and is yet another software issue with current rom?

Thanks for providing your device's details @ hellenicsun!

Upon checking, the Tab M10 FHD Plus (2nd GEN) does only have a USB-C 2.0 port that supports data transfer, OTG and power delivery.

However, the external storage drive that you're trying to connect with it right now supports USB 3.0, making it not to be detected by the device.

You may check the Tab M10 FHD Plus's complete specifications through this link.

With this, you may also get in touch with the storage drive manufacturer for further recommendations towards this concern.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2021-03-30, 15:39 PM

@ Adriel_lenovo wrote:

@ hellenicsun wrote:

Should I assume there' no solution and is yet another software issue with current rom?

Thanks for providing your device' details @ hellenicsun!

Upon checking, the Tab M10 FHD Plus (2nd GEN) does only have a USB-C 2.0 port that supports data transfer, OTG and power delivery.

However, the external storage drive that you' trying to connect with it right now supports USB 3.0, making it not to be detected by the device.

You may check the Tab M10 FHD Plus' complete specifications through this link.

With this, you may also get in touch with the storage drive manufacturer for further recommendations towards this concern.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

I'm sorry but this is not an acceptable explanation because my 2017 Xiaomi Mi A1 that also has a USB-C 2.0 port operates the external storage drive successfully.

Maybe it's a ROM related issue - my Mi A1 runs latest official LineageOS 17.1 (also on Android 10).

Options

2876 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

284 Signins

25737 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-03-30, 18:07 PM

@ hellenicsun wrote:

@ Adriel_lenovo wrote:

@ hellenicsun wrote:

Thanks for providing your device' details @ hellenicsun!

However, the external storage drive that you' trying to connect with it right now supports USB 3.0, making it not to be detected by the device.

You may check the Tab M10 FHD Plus' complete specifications through this link.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

I' sorry but this is not an acceptable explanation because my 2017 Xiaomi Mi A1 that also has a USB-C 2.0 port operates the external storage drive successfully.

Maybe it' a ROM related issue - my Mi A1 runs latest official LineageOS 17.1 (also on Android 10).

Thanks for replying @ hellenicsun!

You may click on this link to see the steps on how you can check if the Tab M10 is updated to its latest version.

Download/Install the update into the device if there's an available one.

Should or if the Tab M10 tablet is already updated to its latest version, it would still be advisable to get in touch with the storage manufacturer for further recommendations towards this concern especially if there are any firmware or drivers that may need to be downloaded/installed first for it to be detected by the machine.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2021-03-30, 19:45 PM

I just checked for a firmware update and indeed there's one (probably it was made available later today as I did check earlier).

I'll download, install and revert with my finding re this matter.

Options

2021-03-30, 20:38 PM

The update did not resolve the OTG issue with the external hard drive. 

BTW here's a screenshot of the same drive connected to my Xiaomi Mi A1 running LineageOS. A 2017 smartphone better than a 2020 tablet?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms