Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-18-2016

Spain

8 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo Tab3 8" (TB3-850F) 16% battery drain during sleep

2016-11-18, 9:01 AM

Hi. Yesterday I bought this tablet for my girlfriend. When we went to sleep, battery was 51%. This morning was 35%. Is this normal on this model?

I'm totally returning it, but I don't know if I should get another unit, if the problem is that the one I bought was faulty.

Also, I'm really disappointed that Lenovo has no email or phone contact in Spain. Perhaps returning the device is for the best :(

Options

2648 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3582 Signins

44295 Page Views

• Views: 44295
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo Tab3 8" (TB3-850F) 16% battery drain during sleep

2016-11-18, 14:52 PM

It could be an app in the background thats eating up the battery. Try to format the device to see if that helps. Also check your Android Doze settings, to see which ones are allowed to run under Doze. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate. I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Options

858 Posts

10-08-2015

Canada

998 Signins

5947 Page Views

• Views: 5947
  • Message 3 of 6

2016-11-18, 16:54 PM

As noted already, there are a few reasons why you could be using battery power. Often it is a user setting such as a mail app checking for email quite often in the background, or a system update app trying to update, or a social media app looking for updates (Farcebook, WhatsApp, Skype, etc. - check each app for user settings). Check your Google Account Settings to see if it is being allowed to back up data & photos during off hours?  

You can go to Settings>Battery & see in the list what is using the battery. Tap each item for more info. Then check Apps & Display & see what app settings that you can modify to conserve use. The Display generally uses the most power & it can be controlled. Have you installed any apps that want to use WiFi or Data? Such an app maybe be constantly looking for a signal. Try turning WiFi & Data off at night as a test, but again, you can go into Settings>Apps to see what is using your WiFi & Data connection & for how long etc.. There is quite a bit that you can troubleshoot with the Android OS.  

You could also try a Google & YouTube Search for optimizing the battery with Android OS, for more tips & ideas. If you search this Forum, you will likely find other threads on battery drain that may help you. It is too difficult for us to immediately give you a solution as there are so many variables & things that we don't know about your device, settings, networks, OS version, apps installed, app permissions, etc..

Also be careful of installing free apps & apps not from Google Play Store, as such apps may also install malware that could also be using CPU power, network connections & data.

Let us know if you figure out what helps, so your solution can help others.

Options

4 Posts

11-18-2016

Spain

8 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2016-11-18, 17:53 PM

Thank you both for replying :)

Well I just bought the tablet yesterday, opened it and configured it normally, downloaded a few apps (MX Player, Perfect Viewer, FX Explorer, Chrome and Facebook), didn't even open them except Chrome and then it was put on sleep mode. 

I don't really think it's because of one of these apps (at least not on their default settings), because I already have them in other three devices and none of them drained the battery while they were on sleep mode.

However, it is truth that I didn't fully charge the battery yesterday (it went up to 78% I think), so today I'm trying to fully charge, discharge and charge again, to see if it happens again during the night, and if so, I'll check the battery report.

My main doubt was if someone else that had this device could confirm if it happened the same, that is, if it's a normal thing in this model (I've seen it on other devices, but that was in 2010).

I'll get back to this thread after I try a few things:)

Options

858 Posts

10-08-2015

Canada

998 Signins

5947 Page Views

• Views: 5947
  • Message 5 of 6

2016-11-18, 19:41 PM

My concern would be that background stuff could be happening on either the defualt installed apps or the user installed apps that you mentioned, precisely becuase you didn't customize their user settings & left them on default. These apps are designed by their "default settings" being for "user convenience", not for battery life or performnace. Facebook app doesn't give a rat's ass about the device battery or performance compromises, it only wants to provide constant access for the user experience & for their data gathering. The app is designed by default to look out only for itself. The other apps could be similar, things like music streaming apps are often resource data hogs on default settings. Folks rarely it seems go into every single installed app to customize & control the user settings but then wonder why the device slows down, they have RAM issues or internal memory gets used up, or battery performance is poor, etc..  So I'd also check all the Google instlaled apps & how often they are set to check for data, info updates, app updates, etc.. As well, I would include your user installed apps be checked for user controlled performance, vs. default performance. Especially Farcebook! :smileylol:

I don't know if these lithium ion batteries require draining any more for "conditioning". I've been reading that it's thought to now not drain them to 0 but rather keep thin in the 30-75% area & to charge from there to full.

Anyway, I'm sure that you'll figure it out, but don't always compare one piece of kit to another. Folks on the Lenovo Motorola forum very often say that issue xyz never happened on their "Samsung Android" device, but they don't realize that their Samsung Android OS is heavily customized as are the Samsung apps, while the Motorola is completely stock Android OS & there are very few Moto or Lenovo apps in comparision to Samsung or Sony, etc.. Plus features get changed considerabley from OS version to OS version, not to mention CPU generations, so again, performance comparisons between devices are not always equal.

Options

4 Posts

11-18-2016

Spain

8 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2016-11-19, 9:39 AM

Fortunately it seems it was a false alarm. After charging it 100%, then drain it to 35, then fully charge it again, tonight battery has only decreased 1%. WiFi was disabled, though. Next test is to see what happens when connected :)

I also disabled Google's backups, to see if it matters. If battery remains the same in a few hours, I'll try enabling it again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms