Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

Lenovo p11 rom not certified by google play

2021-03-13, 12:18 PM

Hello,

Yesterday I bought a Lenovo p11 from a well known China online store. It came with a pretty old ROM that was not OTA. I flashed to it the latest provided by Lenovo TB-J606F_S120039_210121_ROW and apps started update and run like normal. However I noticed that the Netflix app could not be updated and that Google Play does not certify the device. My question is is there any certified OTA ROM that supports Netflix available? 

Options

33 Posts

12-20-2015

Greece

70 Signins

486 Page Views

• Views: 486
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Lenovo p11 rom not certified by google play

2021-03-14, 0:54 AM

All roms provided by lenovo shall be certicied.

where did you download the rom from?

id suggest  you to use recovery assistant 

Options

45 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

35 Signins

340 Page Views

• Views: 340
  • Message 3 of 8

2021-03-15, 3:51 AM

While I was researching the Tab P11 Pro (how to get hold of one in Australia) I read about the lack of Google Play Protect certification on the Chinese version of that tablet. For the P11 Pro at least, the Chinese version, sold as the XiaoXin Pad Pro, actually has a different model number (TB-J706F_PRC) and serial number format.

If the device is the Chinese version (registered for Chinese domestic sale) then I’m not sure if Lenovo can choose to certify the device. The Chinese P11, sold as the XiaoXin Pad, comes with a different ROM to the ROW (Rest Of the World) version. The Chinese firmware is a skinned version of Android 10 (ZUI) that didn’t (originally) have Google Play/GMS (Google Mobile Services) installed (I believe that Google Play/GMS has been added in a more recent system update). The seller would have flashed the ROW ROM.

What a lack of Google Play Protect certification actually amounts to is that you just have to sideload Netflix (and one or two other apps, perhaps). However, a lack of certification may become more consequential in the years to come. In other respects, it’s identical to the version sold outside of China.

At first, I thought this was a cost/logistics/time saving measure by Lenovo – why apply for certification if the device doesn’t have Google Play/GMS (Google Mobile Services) installed? However, some more recent googling now leads me to believe that the issue may be due to a larger disagreement between Google and the Chinese government. It seems that Google Play Protect Certification is.. unavailable for devices registered for Chinese domestic sale (even devices with identical hardware and flashed with a manufacture's official ROW ROM). This may not be news to some, but I wasn’t aware. At least, this seems to be the case with Xiaomi products, so I guess the same may be true for Lenovo and other Chinese manufactures (manufactures who sell products both in China and abroad).

It seems like Google may use a “security feature” as a pawn in its commercial disagreements with China.

Good luck in getting official clarification on this from anyone though!

Options

3 Posts

03-22-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-03-22, 15:36 PM

I too am experiencing this issue and frustration, my P11 updated the second I got it and reports with a "TB-J706F_S240073_201229_ROW" ROM but also shows as not play protect certified.  Therefore I cannot install Disney+ which is very annoying.  What I find even more worrying for Lenovo is the device comes with Netflix but this now fails to function and cannot be updated!

Has anyone found a way around these issues? does recovery and loading a different ROM from the Lenovo recovery tool work?

Oddly the device is registered on Googles own services as a Play Protect Support Device, I've contacted Google for clarification as when I check everything against Googles own requirements the device should be supported.

I really don't want to be in a position where I have to sideload applications or worry about the security of my device.

Additionally if I had purchased this device in Hong Kong Duty Free, would I be expecting too much for it to keep working when I got home?  I think Google and Lenovo may have really let us down here and I hope they can offer a fix.

Options

3 Posts

03-22-2021

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-03-22, 17:19 PM

UPDATED:  Also interestingly if you check Googles Own Play Protect Certification site the tablet IS Certified

Lenovo XiaoXin Pad J606F Lenovo TB-J606F
Lenovo XiaoXin Pad J606N Lenovo TB-J606N
Lenovo XiaoXin Pad Pro J706F Lenovo TB-J706F
Lenovo XiaoXin Pad Pro J706N Lenovo TB-J706N

http://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html

So what is really going on here??  Lenovo, would you care to explain? or provide any clarification?

Options

45 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

35 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-03-23, 8:07 AM

It’s interesting that the XiaoXin Pad/Pad Pro are now listed. I recall looking at that list last year and couldn’t find them. Here is a snapshot of the same page taken on 01/11/20. Note that the Tab P11/P11 Pro were listed but the XiaoXin Pad/Pad Pro were not (at that stage) https://web.archive.org/web/20201101225215/http://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html

This seems consistent with the fact that the Pad/Pad Pro (despite being available prior to the P11/P11 Pro) did not originally come with Google apps installed. I understand that a latter firmware update has provided Google apps.

The Pad/Pad Pro come with a different ZUI (PRC) ROM. I now wonder if, after all, it’s flashing the ROW ROM onto the Pad/Pad Pro that is the problem - despite this being something you can do with Lenovo’s own software (LMSA).

If you install an app like Device ID https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evozi.deviceid you should see the “Device Build Fingerprint” containing TB-J*06F_PRC and not just TB-J*06F. I wonder if it’s having a ROW ROM installed, instead of the factory installed ZUI (PRC) ROM (which was present presumably, when the TB-J*06F_PRC was submitted for certification) that is causing the devices to show as not certified. It would be good if anyone who has a Pad/Pad Pro and is still using the ZUI (PRC) ROM could confirm that their device is Play Protect certified?

I’m still not sure what to think, but the above scenario now seems more likely. It still sucks, as I’m pretty sure that certification is not intended as a way of dissuading grey imports. I guess this is a bit easier to overlook if Lenovo are actually selling the P11/P11 Pro in your country and you’re just trying to save money. It seems counterproductive if the P11/P11 Pro isn’t available for sale in your country and grey importing is your only option – it’s like Lenovo don’t want people in certain countries to buy their more expensive tablets.

It would be interesting to see if flashing the ZUI (PRC) ROM onto a P11/P11 Pro resulted in the same “device not certified” issue – although it’s hard to imagine in what circumstances someone would seek to try this.

Options

3 Posts

03-22-2021

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-03-23, 17:26 PM

It does seem very strange, either way this should be something that Lenovo can easily clear up for us and thus put us on the right ROM or support path but contacting Lenovo support in the UK has been an absolutely AWFUL experience for me.

So where do we go from here and how do we get Lenovo engaged to resolve this?

Lenovo, would you care to weigh in and actually support your global customers? 

As I suggested in my initial post would I be asking to much to expect the device to continue working with all the pre-loaded and supported applications had I purchased it in Hong Kong and travelled home?

Options

45 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

35 Signins

340 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-03-25, 8:50 AM

I suspect Lenovo will blame/suggest you contact the seller. The PRC versions of these tablets (TB-J*06F_PRC) are not intended for sale outside of mainland China. If the seller advertised the tablet as a P11/P11 Pro and you didn’t realise that you were buying the Chinese version (with Lenovo's official global ROM installed by the seller) then it is likely the seller are in the wrong (legally).

It’s a stupid situation. Having devices with identical hardware certified for one version of Lenovo’s official ROM but not the other is, in effect, region locking. Google Play certification is meant to be a security feature.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms