Options

12 Posts

12-16-2017

Germany

16 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 6

My Tab4 8 Plus generates 64 MB log files per day, this leads to SD Card corruption

2017-12-16, 9:04 AM

When looking for reasons for my tablet causing external(portable) SD Card corruption when turning off / rebooting I found this:

On my Lenovo Tab 4 8 plus a lot of operating system log files are written permanently by the Android/Linux kernel. That amounts to about 60 MB per day.

If no SD card present the files are written to folder [Internal_Root]/log

If an external(portable) SD card is inserted the files are written to folder [SD_Card_Root]/log

So I suspect because the Android system permanently writes, the SD card cannot be unmounted successfully during shutdown, and this is causing the corruption.

I found a (cumbersome) workaround: In Android Settings / Storage, click the eject symbol to unmount SD card manually, but it takes like 20-30 secs. Then you can shutdown/reboot without corruption.

But this is clearly something Lenovo must fix, at least some of the devices are shipped with these debug log settings, which should only be used in their labs for testing. On consumer's devices this causes corruption, has an adverse impact on performance and will wear out and fill the SD card by permanent writing to it.

Solved! See the solution
Options

12 Posts

12-16-2017

Germany

16 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: My Tab4 8 Plus generates 64 MB log files per day, this leads to SD Card corruption

2017-12-17, 8:38 AM

After checking for system updates manually I saw there was still one update outstanding, the system had not notified me about it.

Following this prodedure I was able to finally get rid of the annoying log files:

1. Eject SD card in Android settings
    2. Power down
    3. Remove SD card
    4. Power up and install latest Android update / reboot
    5. Meanwhile I inserted SD card into laptop and deleted /log folder
    6. After Android update was installed power down and insert SD card
    7. Power up, no more logs are written

But jeez Lenovo, how is a normal user going to find out how to do this. I am an Android developer BTW.

Options

12 Posts

12-16-2017

Germany

16 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re: My Tab4 8 Plus generates 64 MB log files per day, this leads to SD Card corruption

2017-12-17, 9:03 AM

I just found a better solution in a German forum which seems to fix all problems by using a secret Lenovo system menu:

1. open contacts - search for ####3333#

2. secret menu appears, see screenshot

3. choose "method three" = "close log after reboot" and then click "Exit"

4. unmount sd card in Android settings to be safe

5. reboot

Secret system logging menu

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

03-02-2018

Australia

11 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 4 of 6

2018-03-09, 21:14 PM

I'd love everyone to think this is a solution , but it's simply a "workaround". A solution is for Lenovo to fix the  firmware so this ridiculous situation does not happen. My old Lifetab S7852 did not do such a stupid thing , mainly because SD cards in it's day were way too small to keep writing log files to.

And just why would the system need to write a log file on shutdown each time , if previous shutdown /startup procedures were successful ? It defies logic.

I understand if the system encounters any error condition , and on the  initial startup ,or a change of SD, a log should be written , but otherwise , why this continued writing , without overwriting the existing one. I'm going to pull one of the logs apart and have a look.

As a retired Systems Engineer ( Unix systems ) I can't see any logical reason to impose this kind of logging on a system that may have small resources at the best of times , and especially to a removable , unreliable platform.

My experience with a fully up to date Tab 4 8 plus LTE is that it's very picky about which cards it will work with , sandisk being ones it seems to dislike , but my Kingston ones seem to work just fine.

Options

9 Posts

03-15-2018

Australia

8 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 5 of 6

2018-03-18, 22:38 PM
Have now completed many tests of SD cards in my TB8704X Plus 64GB LTE and concluded the following: It does not like cards that are too slow , or too fast , or have latency issues. The only reliable cards I've used that show any consistency are Samsung & Kingston (32~256GB Class 10 Spd 80~100Mb/s). All others had various issues so I did not bother to test them further. Test rating was done using WIN10 64bit i7 machine , and a USB3 card reader , no other tasks running.
Options

3 Posts

06-25-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 43
  • Message 6 of 6

2018-07-16, 20:16 PM
This made interesting reading, I very nearly understood it! Seriously though, I just returned my tablet because of this issue. Are Lenovo the only ones to write all these log files to the card? If so, why? I have not heard of any other makes affected.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms