Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

01-04-2012

USA

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 91 of 123

Re: New K1 owner unhappy with GPS

2012-01-04, 6:19 AM

Hi,

Just bought a new K1 tablet a couple of days ago.  I took it with me to the next town from my house, turned on the GPS in the settings, and Google maps located my position exactly in less than one minute.  The tablet was not connected to any wireless network.

I was very pleased!!  Looks like they got this issue fixed.

Options

167 Posts

11-26-2011

Bay Area

241 Signins

2309 Page Views

• Views: 2309
  • Message 92 of 123

2012-01-04, 6:30 AM

Sure would be nice if folks would post replies to a thread at the end or after the last post on the last page... otherwise you have to go back and dig through previous posts and pages in order to find a recent reply buried amongst earlier posts.

@happyboy7 (your reply from today on page 8) - Try putting in a destination address in and navigating to a destination with wi-fi disabled. Chances are you wont get more than a lock on your current location only... navigation is not possible for the rest of us here. I'm willing to bet you experience the same if you are 3.2.x

Thanks,
Ricochet
The K1_Was Just A Broken Promise Lenovo
Options

27 Posts

12-05-2011

Arlington

58 Signins

354 Page Views

• Views: 354
  • Message 93 of 123

2012-01-05, 6:05 AM
got it to work! finally!! What i did was leave it outside with the gps test on for about 10 minutes. Now i can disconnect, restart or whatever and the gps will conlknect in under 30 seconds. After it finally got it connected to a gps, i downloaded"ZaNavi" from the market. The app is free (download the donation one if you can) and allows offline map downloads (a must as the gps only displays location, not a map). Works great!
Options

1 Posts

01-10-2012

jakarta

5 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 94 of 123

2012-01-11, 2:16 AM

hei. I'm from Indonesia, and i just bought this handheld about 2 weeks ago.

i dont really sure what happened to ur K1, but the gps on this handheld worked properly here (without wifi, or even mobile network connection).

one thing that i do, just download gps status from the market, and install Sygic on my device.

gps status show there are 3 satelites..

and bingo..

my K1 can lock my position in about 5-10 second (i did it in the outside)..

but like other gps, the signal is depends on the weather, the area (inside/outside)

hopefully it can solve ur problem..

Options

15 Posts

03-17-2009

NC, USA

97 Signins

738 Page Views

• Views: 738
  • Message 95 of 123

2012-01-20, 18:16 PM

Did the GPS problems ever get sorted out? I should receive my K1 soon, and just want to know what to expect.

Options

27 Posts

12-05-2011

Arlington

58 Signins

354 Page Views

• Views: 354
  • Message 96 of 123

2012-01-20, 18:56 PM

I figured it out for me anyway.  The Gps is a "standalone gps" so if you have a "wifi only" k1 and you want to use your gps on the road, you have to download offline maps.

Google maps supports 100 miles of offline maps(menu/settings/labs/Pre-cachemap area). You can aslo find a good gps app for you here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Android .

The gps takes awhile to connect to a sattelite, but the again, so does my garmin. I haven't quite figured out location searching using offline maps, but im sure others may have a better answer regarding that subject.

Options

322 Posts

12-27-2011

Philippines

721 Signins

4652 Page Views

• Views: 4652
  • Message 97 of 123

2012-01-21, 7:12 AM
Wel after standing for 3min outside i got a satellite fix and google maps accurately locared me in the map. Gps works. But practicality of using it with the k1 remains to be seen.

But it works now.
Options

167 Posts

11-26-2011

Bay Area

241 Signins

2309 Page Views

• Message 98 of 123

2012-01-21, 17:12 PM
Will this ever be resolved, it's still a mystery.

Purchased my K1 in Nov. '11.  Have received conflicting information regarding GPS operation.  Tech specs listed for K1 show GPS as A-GPS chipset, which requires wi-fi assistance for location lock.

Later however, another user here posted a teardown of the K1 which clearly shows a standalone Broadcom GPS chipset capable of GPS navigation without wi-fi.  Confirmed for US based hardware anyway.

When I posted here about this some months ago, a Lenovo employee stated the chipset was A-GPS, but he then retracted this after I referenced the teardown showing the k1's internals. 

For the last 2 OTA's, I have been told the issue (inability to navigate without wi-fi) is knowin and a fix is in the works.  We have yet to see this fixed, or receive an official reply.  This has nothing to do with the K1's ability to get Satt location lock without wi-fi.  It does this just fine.  

Since these forums are not moderated, I'm not holding my breath.  There is also a major disconnect between the information that is being reported here, and what users are being told officially by Lenovo support when they call for assistance.

Many users here have also discovered that they know more about our hardware platform than the folks supporting it.  This is not uncommon and I'm not upset or surprised by this.

In any event, as of the latest released OTA for US, GPS will get lock on your location without wi-fi assistance, but you cannot navigate even one block away from your location unless you enable wi-fi.  This behavior has been consistent for the last 3 OTA's.  Probably should mention that I have only tested using Google Maps....  being it's an Android device and all. 

I do believe the GPS in my device is standalone, so unassisted navigation should be possible, but is not for whatever reason.  Bug, decision by Lenovo not to support... 

I'd like to see this issue fixed or be told officially that it will not be supported. 
Thanks,
Ricochet
Options

15 Posts

03-17-2009

NC, USA

97 Signins

738 Page Views

• Views: 738
  • Message 99 of 123

2012-01-21, 18:15 PM

I haven't received my K1 yet but did play with an Asus Transformer Prime before returning it. If I understand correctly, Google Maps requires a wifi connection to navigate. It should be possible to plan your route while connected to wifi and them follow it, as Google Maps should cache the route. However, if you attempt to change the route or plan another while not connected to wifi, it won't work. The stand alone GPS supplies the location OK, but Google maps needs wifi.

There are other android applictions available which do not require a connection, as they store the maps in your tablet.

Options

167 Posts

11-26-2011

Bay Area

241 Signins

2309 Page Views

• Message 100 of 123

2012-01-21, 20:06 PM
Appreciate the reply/info. I did not know G Maps was an assisted only app. Additionally, I haven't seen it mentioned or discussed here until now. I was aware that other apps allowed caching, but prefer G Maps since I use it frequently on other mobile devices I own. Thanks again for the helpful info.
Thanks,
Ricochet
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms