Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

123 Signins

125 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 125
  • Message 1 of 13

P11 Pro external display Resolution

2021-02-04, 21:49 PM

Hi,

Is there any info on p11 pro support for 4k external displays? I've connected to my 4k TV but the Resolution is 1080p.

On my 1440p monitor I get the same resolution as the tablet screen, not had, but the desktop doesn't fill the monitor screen left to right as it is a different aspect ratio.

I was hoping in productivity mode the tablet screen could be turned off and the resolution would match the external display at native.

Regards Nigel

Options

2245 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

253 Signins

22432 Page Views

• Views: 22432
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:P11 Pro external display Resolution

2021-02-05, 19:39 PM

@ Harmin68 wrote:

Hi,

Is there any info on p11 pro support for 4k external displays? I' connected to my 4k TV but the Resolution is 1080p.

On my 1440p monitor I get the same resolution as the tablet screen, not had, but the desktop doesn' fill the monitor screen left to right as it is a different aspect ratio.

I was hoping in productivity mode the tablet screen could be turned off and the resolution would match the external display at native.

Regards Nigel

Welcome to the Community Forums @Harmin68!

Nice to have you here!

Upon checking through the Tab P11 Pro's specifications, its display does have 2560x1600 resolution that also uses an OLED panel.

It also uses a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port that supports OTG, data transfer, Power Delivery, extend screen, T-Hub and USB Type-C audio devices.

With this, we can't assure or guarantee if the Tab P11 Pro itself can support 4K resolution by connecting an external display/monitor that does have the 4K specifications.

You may check the Tab P11 Pro's complete specifications through this link.

Regards,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 3 of 13

2021-02-11, 5:22 AM

My 4K LG TV reports a resolution of 2160p when I connect my TB-J706F (using a USB C to HDMI adaptor).

I was a little surprised as I was expecting ~1440p (or less). Apparently, the 730G supports 4K on external displays (“Quad HD+” is the limit for the on device display). Although, the specs listed on Qualcomm’s website are a little confusing ( https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-730g-mobile-platform )

Max On-Device Display: Quad HD+

Max External Display: 4K Ultra HD

Display Pixels: 3360x1440

I’m not sure what “Display Pixels: 3360x1440” refers to exactly. Perhaps it’s in reference to the widest aspect ratio (for an on device display) that the 730G supports. The P11 Pro’s display is 2560x1600 pixels, so the 730G can support a vertical resolution greater than 1440.

Maybe try a different cable/adaptor/hub/port? Is there a way to adjust/override the resolution on the TV perhaps?

Although, I’ve come to realise that my understanding on this stuff is a bit shaky (lots of guess work), so I’d be interested to hear others’ thoughts as well.

Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

123 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-02-13, 10:53 AM

Thanks MattyS thats very helpful.

I have since found out that there is a 'feature' of some Philips 4k TVs that they report a native resolution of 1080p via HDMI, and I can see that on my PC, it allows me to set 4k but the recommended/native label is perversely against the 1080p resolution.

So I think the P11 pro is setting the reported native resolution of 1080p, and since there is nowhere I can select resolution manually that is a problem for me, though  not Lenovo's fault.  I'm currently testing if the resolution is actually 1080p or higher as it looks very smooth, and I'm also looking at using the SecondScreen app to manually set the resolution (though that also doesn't allow me to set 4k in its safe mode probably because of the above issue).

What I have also found is that the Taskbar app from the play store allows you to have separate displays on your tablet and external screen, and it resizes the external screen to fit the display properly. I doesn't work with Lenovos productivity mode (as it is a different implementation of the same thing). It also cause the Lenovo launcher to crash intermittently on the tablet screen (though this resolves itself once you turn it off).

So overall I think I'm going to use SecondScreen and Taskbar to highlight improvements that can be made in Lenovo's Productivity mode. The most important for me being manual selection of the external display resolution and native use of that resolution (rather than the current screen mirroring which implies upscaling/downscaling the tablet display) 

Once again thanks for confirming I'm right to keep chipping away at this!

Regards

Nigel

Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

123 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2021-02-13, 10:59 AM
Hi MattyS, Do you know is the screen mirrored from the tablet to the TV or extended? Is the full TV screen used or are there black bars on the sides or top/bottom? If the tablet is mirroring then the 2560x1600 tablet screen is probably being upscaled to 2160p for the TV so the resolution is not native. Thanks Nigel
Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2021-02-15, 3:03 AM

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the tips and for your explorative efforts!

The display is mirrored, so I think you are correct about the upscaling. I’m not familiar with Android support for multiple displays and I didn’t really think this through.

I know Windows lets you set different resolutions for multiple monitors, but I don’t think it’s possible to do so when mirroring. I guess the whole point of mirroring is for the displays to be “like for like”.

There are black bars, which I got rid of via the TV’s scan/zoom settings. I couldn’t find a way to force the resolution to a lower one.

Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

123 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-02-15, 15:12 PM
Great thanks, I successfully got my 4k TV to operate as an extended (not mirrored) screen over the weekend using the Taskbar app and some developer settings. Doing that I got a native 4k display from the tablet. I even managed to switch to a HDR stream using Youtube (though it was max 1440p). I'll post more later.
Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

123 Signins

125 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-02-15, 16:57 PM

Hi, So having had some help (thanks!) I'm going to answer my own question:

**Use of the play store apps referenced below is at your own risk. You ned to know what you're doing as the internal display can become unusable.**

- P11 Pro supports up to 4k resolution for external displays and can support HDR, but there are caveats.

- Lenovo by default mirrors the tablet display even in productivity mode so it is limited to 2560x1600 which results in black bars or stretched visuals.

- 'Force  Desktop Mode' in Developer options allows you to extend (not Mirror) your desktop to a second display at its native resolution/aspect mode (like Samsung DeX)

- To manually adjust the resolution and dpi you can use the SecondScreen App (needs extra permissions given via ADB)

- You can use the TaskBar app to improve the experience, but be sure to turn off gesture navigation as it causes the Lenovo Launcher to crash.

- Mouse/keyboard lag can be sorted by selecting monitor mode or similar on your TV (game mode looks nicer on my TV but has a bit more lag)

- Streaming Apps expecting HDCP (Widevine?) support only seem to display SD content (not even HD) on the external display (Netflix, Prime) but you can just cast them to your TV anyway.

- With an appropriate HDMI 2 adapter that supports 4K60Hz + HDR you can display HDR content, depending on the app (Youtube worked for me). 

- Many streaming apps restrict themselves to the resolution/support of your internal display (Youtube allowed up to 1440p with HDR, Shadow PC stopped at 2560x1600@60Hz)

- Some difficult TVs (like my own Phillips) may report 1080p even when 4k is being used! Use an app like DisplayInfo to check the resolution android sees and also beware of your TV Down/Upscaling that, I had to do some careful visual testing to establish my TV wasn't downscaling the reported 4k resolution. Don't use the web based resolution tools as they report the DPI adjusted resolution the browser sees.

So I'm now mostly up and running on Shadow PC playing Horizon Zero Dawn etc. at 1440p (4k is a stretch anyway as my Shadow PC only has a 1080p). Much less lag than the Android TV app, and I get to switch to the internal screen when on the move. The Shadow PC app has just been blocked on the Apple store again, validating my decision to go with Android (but please please regularly security patch Lenovo, extending from 2 to 3 years would match Samsung!)

Next to see if I can charge/power my P11 Pro via my usb dongle while the TV is connected (Dongle supports Power Delivery).

Then once Lenovo get the keyboard delivered I'll be all set with my experiment to ditch the Laptop!

Cheers,

Nigel

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2021-02-16, 3:21 AM

Thank you for the detailed information.

Does the Taskbar app cause Recent Apps to break? See: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets-and-Phablets/Tab-P11-Pro-2-Bugs/m-p/5060432

Reading the Taskbar app’s description on the Play store, it seems like some of its functionality would require it to be set as the default launcher?

I did some testing with my USB hub (CharJenPro Prime) which supports Power Delivery Pass-Through. Using the hub with Lenovo’s 20W charger does charge the tablet but it seems that the power delivery is less than what the tablet consumes (when displaying content on my TV using an HDMI cable). While using my Laptop’s 65w USB-C charger in the same configuration results in the tablet charging quickly.

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 10 of 13

2021-02-25, 9:03 AM
Hi there, Thanks for the detail info. "- 'Force Desktop Mode' in Developer options allows you to extend (not Mirror) your desktop to a second display at its native resolution/aspect mode (like Samsung DeX)" I switched on the Force desktop mode option, but nothing was happen when plug in an external display. How can I get this work? Thanks in advance.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms