Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

11-05-2018

Ireland

30 Signins

331 Page Views

• Views: 331
  • Message 1 of 9

P11 Tablet suspend Android OS on lock

2021-02-23, 9:51 AM

I'm a new Android tablet user having just purchased a Lenovo P11 with the keyboard cover. All is good but I would like to make it suspend or deep sleep the OS when I lock it. 

Unlike my Android phone which I carry with me all the time and expect it to be fully synced all the time and so always on, I only want my tablet to be active when it is in my hands and unlocked - just like my laptop.

I've gone through all the available settings and researched on Google but am disappointed to find that there appears to be no way to completely sleep the Android OS unless you physically turn it off. 

Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions for me?

Thanks

Anthony

Options

4354 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

352 Signins

33407 Page Views

• Views: 33407
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:P11 Tablet suspend Android OS on lock

2021-02-23, 16:53 PM

Hello @TonyJewell!

Nice to have you here!

You may check the Widgets section of the Tab P11 by pressing/holding an empty space on the screen to see if there's an option or a quick function in there that will allow you to lock the screen without pressing the Power button itself.

If there's none, you may try downloading a third party application directly from the Google Play store that emulates that functionality/feature.

Make sure to read user reviews first before downloading/installing any apps from Google Play store.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

26 Posts

11-05-2018

Ireland

30 Signins

331 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-02-23, 17:53 PM

I think you've misunderstood. I'm not looking for a new way to lock or power off the tablet - that's currently covered by pressing the power button or closing the keyboard cover.

No, I'm hoping to put the tablet in suspend mode so that it is completely asleep much like a laptop. Thus, when you restart it, it does a resume and picks up where you were. Between those two events the tablet is completely dorment: no syncing, wi-fi, Bluetooth, updates etc etc....

Anthony

Options

7174 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29278 Signins

1677653 Page Views

• Views: 1677653
  • Message 4 of 9

2021-02-23, 20:33 PM

@ TonyJewell wrote:

I think you' misunderstood. I' not looking for a new way to lock or power off the tablet - that' currently covered by pressing the power button or closing the keyboard cover.

No, I' hoping to put the tablet in suspend mode so that it is completely asleep much like a laptop. Thus, when you restart it, it does a resume and picks up where you were. Between those two events the tablet is completely dorment: no syncing, wi-fi, Bluetooth, updates etc etc....

Anthony

Other than Android phones, I have only had two Android tablets. Neither of the tablets did what you wish. They acted similarly to all of my Android phones. No "sleep" kind of mode that one has with a laptop. Others may have different experiences, and if so, they will hopefully weigh in with advice.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

128 Signins

130 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 130
  • Message 5 of 9

2021-02-25, 9:42 AM

Hi Anthony,I apologise in advance if you know all the below already, but I thought it might help if I give my understanding of androids approach to battery saving (for good or for bad). Android has tried to fulfill your wish to save battery a different way. What it does is monitor your device and if it isn't moving, and the display is off, it goes into a deep sleep mode all by itself if it can. It doesn't allow you to do that by yourself unfortunately.Now there are many apps and app developers who try to stop this happening so they can run in the background all the time. There are things you can do to help android get to deep sleep:- there is a setting to turn off mobile/WiFi when locked.- find the list of apps that are excluded from 'optimize battery usage' and turn off the ones you don't want to run in the background- find the list of apps that are allowed to use data in the background and do the same- turn off auto sync when you lock your device- switch play store to only update apps manually.- turn on an extreme battery saver when you lock your deviceYou can usually see stats for apps that use data when screen is off in battery settings and see if you can sort them out.This can be time consuming so I agree it would be great to have a forced sleep mode on a tablet. I haven't looked to see if there are apps that help automate this, there used to be an app called something like Greenify.I hope that helps.

Options

26 Posts

11-05-2018

Ireland

30 Signins

331 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-02-25, 10:21 AM

@Harmin68

Thanks for your reply - no need to apologise - yes I was aware that Android was doing most of that and that one could tune such things as Airplane and battery saver modes etc to just stop it doing anything. I had thought of using Automate app but this requires elevated rooted rights to achieve most of what I want. Also, having such a lot of things to tune just to achieve an effective sleep on lock is just too complex and will inevitably need rework on such things as OS upgrade or App install/upgrade. This would become annoying very quickly.

I had not heard of Greenify - I'll look in to it.

I'm beginning to think that using Android on a tablet is not suitable for my use case - ie having something that is cheaper, lighter and has a longer battery life than my laptop yet has a keyboard/touchpad and bigger screen than my phone for occasional usage away from home or desk.

It seems a shame that such a capable device is hampered by such an obvious (to me) deficiency.

If I do not manage to solve this issue - I might either try and unlock the boot loader and get a different linux OS on to it or just move on to different HW.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Anthony

Options

16 Posts

02-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

128 Signins

130 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 130
  • Message 7 of 9

2021-02-25, 15:00 PM
I'm pretty much trying the same experiment, the difference being battery life isn't as important, it was more having a nice OLED screen for me, plus the other things you have mentioned. It's not going perfectly for me at the moment, the apps that force portrait are a pain, productivity mode doesn't allow most apps to go full screen, no built in extended desktop (though you can get it working with some persistence). I may try getting Linux to run alongside/inside android when I've got more time. But the screen and HDR plus the speakers are great, and the pencil isn't too bad either.
Options

26 Posts

11-05-2018

Ireland

30 Signins

331 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2021-03-01, 9:07 AM

@Harmin68 Yes Productivity Mode is an absolute pain.

Any app that doesn't support it is displayed in portrait mode in a small window on the landscape desktop. You have to switch Productivity Mode off, then relaunch the app. 

Why can't an app that doesn't support the mode just run as it would normally?

This is typical of a manufacturer's attitude towards polluting native Android. It mostly works but the "edge" cases (in this case all apps that don't know of the mode) are just ignored and become second class apps. Does Lenovo really expect all app writers just to recode their apps at each manufacturer's whim.

All it would take is to supply a maximise button or allow window resizing.

There is no way to completely turn off Productivity Mode. As, given the issues, I'm not yet convinced of the benefits of it. 

Anthony

Options

45 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

35 Signins

340 Page Views

• Views: 340
  • Message 9 of 9

2021-03-04, 8:29 AM

You can also experiment with using device automation apps to restrict what a device does when the screen is off. I’ve used MacroDroid for various tasks (not relating to battery saving explicitly) but I’m aware of what can be turned off and on, either automatically or via a shortcut. I’ve added some example actions below. This should, in theory, help significantly with limiting battery drain.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms