Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 1 of 12

P11 indicates I don't have adequate storage when I try to install new apps.

2021-05-13, 8:40 AM

I literally received my P11 tablet a day ago, and have been reloading some of the apps which didn't transfer from my Tab 4 plus 10", as well as adding some new ones.  The cloud transfer with google didn't go perfectly and a number of app didn't work once transferred, so I uninstalled them. For anyone who is unaware, this tablet is running Android 10, and it is the North American model (TBJ-606F).

My model is the 4 GB/64 GB version to which I have added a 64GB micro SD card, and I formatted it as an extension of the internal memory.

I am running into several issues, which I never experienced with my Tab 4 plus:

Some apps crash upon opening, every time I open them.  These are apps that worked fine with my Tab 4 plus running Android 7.1.1.

Some apps will simply not install from Google Playstore, I click on "Install" and after a couple seconds, or even less, the app page will refresh and I am back looking at the install page again.

When I try to install some apps after five or so seconds I get an error message: The error is "XXXXX (name of app) Can't be downloaded, insert an SD card or USB storage."

The SD card only has about 5GB use.  The "real" internal storage memory is about 30% filled.  I have only a few photos and images from drawing programs

and they are on the SD card.

Things I tried:

I moved any app which would allow itself to be moved to the SD card

I cleared all the caches which only came to about 200 megs at most.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps that are having issues and if they do install, they either crash immediately or give me a white screen

which stays there.

I have unmounted the SD card, and then remounted it.

Some of the apps, either backed up from the Google cloud, or ones I added onto the new tablet are working correctly.

Everything I have read on line suggests this error is the result of having inadequate storage, but I clearly have more than enough space to download and install these apps to either "real" internal or SD storage. Most of those apps are under 100 MB, with a few slightly over that.

I can't find rhyme of reason for this.  It is intermittent in that some apps install and launch fine. Just as one example, there are two apps, one called Artbook 1, the other Artbook 2, from the same developer.  Artbook 2 downloaded, installed and opened perfectly. Artbook 1 was one of the apps which was on my Tab 4 plus and transferred over but did not work, and trying to reinstall it has not succeeded.  Artbook 2 is a new app for me, and it seems to have installed properly.

Also, one other issues.  When I backed up from the cloud numerous programs transferred but lost all my settings, points, customized lists, etc.  Like I use Yahoo Finance with a list of stocks, but the list did not transfer, so I had to put them all in manually, which took over an hour.  My email app (Maildroid) moved over, but none of the emails, and none of the sever settings, router passwords did, so I have to totally reconfigure it.  I would say the operation was a partial success, but the patient is not looking very well.

This is really disappointing, I own numerous Android devices of different vintages and brands and have never had this experience before.  Hopefully, there is some quick fix which won't require me to do a full reset.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, fixes,

Thanks

Artfully

Options

4944 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

377 Signins

36447 Page Views

• Views: 36447
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:P11 indicates I don't have adequate storage when I try to install new apps.

2021-05-13, 13:42 PM

Hello @ Artfully!

Welcome to the Community Forums!

Please try resetting or restarting your Lenovo Tab P11 and see if it'll allow you to download apps again if you're yet to do that step.

Also, check if there's an available update to your Tab P11 and download/install it.

Please click this link to see the steps on how you can update the device successfully.

Another step that you can do from here is to unmount the SD card by going to Settings > Storage.

Once unmounted, go back to Google Play store and download any app(s) again. Should it allow you to install the app successfully, go back to Settings > Storage then mount the SD card again and see if you can move it to the SD card if available (if the app allows it).

You may repeat this procedure should you get the same message again when downloading apps though, you may also try using a different SD card to your Tab P11 to see if it'll work.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
<

Options

1 Posts

05-15-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 3 of 12

2021-05-15, 9:19 AM

I have the same issue as original poster. Have tried the suggested solutions, including a new SD card - no change. Also, one of he apps that keeps crashing is Google Chrome - its quite an achievement to have an android tablet that cant Chrome.

How do I fix this?

Options

5 Posts

05-13-2021

Canada

9 Signins

85 Page Views

• Views: 85
  • Message 4 of 12

2021-05-16, 11:12 AM

Hi Adriel,

Thank you for your greetings, and also for the advice given.  I had attempted many of the suggestions you made, at some point in my journey to try to fix the problem, and the thing was stubborn and being difficult.

I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset after I did a backup upload to Google Cloud.  Before going any further, I decided to take a closer look at my SD card, since it seemed to be the origin of the problem.  I put it into a Windows 10 PC, just to see the structure of the partitions, but the computer kept on telling me it was in an unreadable format and I needed to format it.  I expected that much because the Android filing system is quite different from that of a PC.  Since I had already decided I was starting from scratch, I did format it,  but then Windows came back and asked me to format again.  That was a bit strange so I looked deeper, and discovered the SD card was showing two distinct drive letters.  I decided to go into disk management on the PC to see if I could take a look "inside".  What I discovered is rather than having a header of unallocated storage space (only about 16 MB), as a normal card did, I was seeing two "healthy" primary drives each assigned there own letter.  The drive toward to the begiinng of the memory had 16 MB allocated to it.  I think what happened, and I do not know why, is my tablet formatted the non-allocated area for some reason during formating for the tablet.

As the "first drive", this is what the tablet saw as the first drive to write to, however, it was only 16MB in size, and that would explain why I was getting those messages of inadequate space. I reinstalled the back-up, and used a new factory fresh SD card, which I have since formatted for extended internal memory. While it took a while to complete the re-install, and it left me having to again completely re-enter all my Yahoo Fiance data for a second time, and my email is an empty shell, all the server information is gone (and I have 10 different email boxes, so it is going to take a while to reconfigure it) but I am not having to issues downloading and installing new apps, so I'm happy about that. 

One thing which is disappointing, unless I can figure out where it is stored, is I have collected over 40,000 "coins" in one game app, and they were all lost during the transfer.  Not a big deal, but I wish Google had more consistency in what is saved in a cloud back up and what isn't.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.  I wanted to get back to inform anyone who was interested, how I resolved my specific issue. Can't say if it is common, or not, but it seems to have been my issue.  I wonder if I had just deleted that small partition,turning it back into  unallocated space if I might have avoided the whole refresh and reload  Hopefully, I'll never have to find out again ;-).

Options

4944 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

377 Signins

36447 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2021-05-17, 16:46 PM

@ Artfully wrote:

Hi Adriel,

Thank you for your greetings, and also for the advice given.  I had attempted many of the suggestions you made, at some point in my journey to try to fix the problem, and the thing was stubborn and being difficult.

I finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset after I did a backup upload to Google Cloud.  Before going any further, I decided to take a closer look at my SD card, since it seemed to be the origin of the problem.  I put it into a Windows 10 PC, just to see the structure of the partitions, but the computer kept on telling me it was in an unreadable format and I needed to format it.  I expected that much because the Android filing system is quite different from that of a PC.  Since I had already decided I was starting from scratch, I did format it,  but then Windows came back and asked me to format again.  That was a bit strange so I looked deeper, and discovered the SD card was showing two distinct drive letters.  I decided to go into disk management on the PC to see if I could take a look "inside".  What I discovered is rather than having a header of unallocated storage space (only about 16 MB), as a normal card did, I was seeing two "healthy" primary drives each assigned there own letter.  The drive toward to the begiinng of the memory had 16 MB allocated to it.  I think what happened, and I do not know why, is my tablet formatted the non-allocated area for some reason during formating for the tablet.

As the "first drive", this is what the tablet saw as the first drive to write to, however, it was only 16MB in size, and that would explain why I was getting those messages of inadequate space. I reinstalled the back-up, and used a new factory fresh SD card, which I have since formatted for extended internal memory. While it took a while to complete the re-install, and it left me having to again completely re-enter all my Yahoo Fiance data for a second time, and my email is an empty shell, all the server information is gone (and I have 10 different email boxes, so it is going to take a while to reconfigure it) but I am not having to issues downloading and installing new apps, so I' happy about that. 

One thing which is disappointing, unless I can figure out where it is stored, is I have collected over 40,000 "coins" in one game app, and they were all lost during the transfer.  Not a big deal, but I wish Google had more consistency in what is saved in a cloud back up and what isn'.

Thank you again for all your suggestions.  I wanted to get back to inform anyone who was interested, how I resolved my specific issue. Can' say if it is common, or not, but it seems to have been my issue.  I wonder if I had just deleted that small partition,turning it back into  unallocated space if I might have avoided the whole refresh and reload  Hopefully, I' never have to find out again ;-).

Hello @ Artfully!

Thanks for the update!

It's good to know that you're able to download/install apps again, great job!

Usually, an SD card needs to be formatted directly into the device (like your P11 Tablet) first before it can be used for storing files or apps.

Also, there are some app(s) as well that may or may not be stored into the SD card.

As for the missing in game "coins" that you're referring to, you may get in touch with the game support to have this be reported and see if they can still do something about it.

In game progresses nowadays can be saved either through your Google or Facebook account (if the game allows or uses that feature) and basically, you just need to sign back in using the Google or Facebook account that was used when you played that game before.

No worries, you may definitely share the steps that you have done here for the concern to be sorted out since this will truly be helpful to other users here at the Community Forums.

Feel free to post here again anytime.

Hope this has helped you out on your concerns.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

<

Options

8 Posts

02-01-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 6 of 12

P11 indicates I don't have adequate storage when I try to install new apps.

2021-06-04, 22:28 PM
In my quest to get my tablet to treat my SD card as "internal storage" I also took a peek at the card on my PC. And I also saw the 2 partitions. I THINK, maybe, that this is because our cards were formatted for use as "portable" storage, BUT don't quote me on that.
Options

4944 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

377 Signins

36447 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2021-06-10, 19:36 PM

@ JD401 wrote:

In my quest to get my tablet to treat my SD card as "internal storage" I also took a peek at the card on my PC. And I also saw the 2 partitions. I THINK, maybe, that this is because our cards were formatted for use as "portable" storage, BUT don' quote me on that.

Hello @ JD401!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Setting a MicroSD card as "Adoptable Storage" or an extension of your Android device's internal storage will give the user the ability to format and encrypt the microSD card. This method doesn't allow the user to move the card to another Android device or desktop for use.

Usually, Android asks them how they want to use the media. They can choose to adopt the media, which formats and encrypts it, or they can continue using it as-is for simple file storage. If they choose to adopt, the platform offers to migrate the primary shared storage contents of the newly adopted media, freeing up valuable space on internal storage.

You may also check this link as well as this other link for additional reference.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

<

Options

23 Posts

11-08-2017

United States of America

45 Signins

221 Page Views

• Views: 221
  • Message 8 of 12

2021-06-13, 1:22 AM

I have the same problem as Artfully. My SD card, which I first formatted in my computer and then was asked to format it again when I inserted it into my P11 Tab, is showing two partitions. I want to copy over two folders over from my Android 10 phone, but it won't let me. And I am not about to reset the Tab after it took me so long to set it up.

I am very disappointed with Leonovo. I researched many brands for a long time before deciding to purchase a Tab 11, and it doesn't even work as well as my 3-year-old Huawei tablet. When I put an SD card into my Huawei, I was able to copy folders over to it with no problem whatsoever. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to perform a simple task.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake to buy a Leonovo.

Options

4944 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

377 Signins

36447 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2021-06-14, 14:45 PM

@ cameraz wrote:

I have the same problem as Artfully. My SD card, which I first formatted in my computer and then was asked to format it again when I inserted it into my P11 Tab, is showing two partitions. I want to copy over two folders over from my Android 10 phone, but it won' let me. And I am not about to reset the Tab after it took me so long to set it up.

I am very disappointed with Leonovo. I researched many brands for a long time before deciding to purchase a Tab 11, and it doesn' even work as well as my 3-year-old Huawei tablet. When I put an SD card into my Huawei, I was able to copy folders over to it with no problem whatsoever. You shouldn' have to jump through hoops to perform a simple task.

I' wondering if I made a mistake to buy a Leonovo.

Hello @ cameraz!

Thanks for posting here at the Community Forums!

Usually, it is required to format the MicroSD card into the device where it will be use so that the user can save or move files into it.

Also, there are some apps that may need to be re-downloaded into the new device that you'll be using if in case they're saved into an SD card from a different device so that they will launch/open without any issues on the new device

You may check this link by the way to see the steps on how you can format a MicroSD card into your Tab P11.

Thanks,

Adriel_Lenovo

Lenovo Support

<

Options

23 Posts

11-08-2017

United States of America

45 Signins

221 Page Views

• Views: 221
  • Message 10 of 12

2021-06-14, 15:17 PM

Thank you, but I did all of this. I formatted my microSD card in my Leonovo Tab 11 but it will not let me do anything with it.

Here's the problem: I have a folder with photos and another with videos on my phone. I would like to put these folders on my tablet. The only way to do this, apparently, is to put the SD card into my computer, hook the phone up to my computer, and then copy the files over. But when I re-insert the SD card into my Tab 11, it asks me to format it again, wiping out all the files on the card.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms