Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

07-26-2012

Zagreb, Croatia

43 Signins

246 Page Views

• Views: 246
  • Message 231 of 714

Re: [ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release

2012-08-01, 17:49 PM

wrote:
Has anyone been able to get into recovery using terminal emulator? I get error:

app_58@android:/ $ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
app_58@android:/ $ k1recovery
/system/bin/k1recovery[3]: cannot create /dev/block/mmcblk0p5: Permission denied
reboot: Operation not permitted

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

First enter the command "su" without quotes and press enter. After that it`ll work.

Options

57 Posts

12-31-2011

USA

140 Signins

1498 Page Views

• Views: 1498
  • Message 232 of 714

2012-08-01, 17:52 PM

To reboot into recover you do not have to mount the system as r/w. You just have to run the 'k1recovery' command from a root terminal. 

With a terminal app run:

su

k1recovery

With adb you should just be able to run:

k1recovery

I overlooked the physical buttons (Home, Back, Menu). I will fix this ASAP. This is also causing screenshots not work work (No home button).

The app compatability is becoming pretty frustrating. I know for a fact I was able to download Chrome from the Play store on a previous build :smileyfrustrated:

Also, if someone with the 3G version would be willing to help out please join me in Freenode IRC chat room #ideapad-k1. If your not familiar with IRC just click this link to join the chat.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ideapad-k1

Options

255 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

236 Signins

1864 Page Views

• Views: 1864
  • Message 233 of 714

2012-08-01, 18:07 PM

I generally try to stay away from root sessions. The fact that someone didn't know that root access would fix their problem indicates to me that recommending it is a bad idea...:smileywink:

Options

57 Posts

02-26-2012

Us

186 Signins

792 Page Views

• Views: 792
  • Message 234 of 714

2012-08-01, 18:54 PM

Mark, the file you loaded for returning to HC does not work, I double click on the file you say to click on the instructions, and all I get is a split second dos page and it does nothing to the tablet

Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 235 of 714

2012-08-01, 19:51 PM

Here is a very simple way to reboot into khannings CWM recovery.

1. Playstore --> Download/Install aShell app
  2. Run App
  3. Select Checkbox for "Root" (In Settings, you can set app to start Root as Default)
  4. type "k1recovery" into textbox
  5. press "start command" button.

Simple, no need to be in "true shell" mode. This app allows you to run shell commands without the terminal. Great for newbies, quicker for anyone.

Hope this helps!

-Cybie

Options

52 Posts

03-13-2012

Canada

188 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 236 of 714

2012-08-01, 20:42 PM
Hey I tried booting into recovery using ashell and it worked sucessfully but weirdly once I'm in it I can't choose any command (using power button) because it tells me:
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Message 237 of 714

2012-08-01, 22:23 PM

No problems here. Although, using power button only seems to bring back to main menu. Use the hardware "home" button to select options. I was able to mount system, clear cache, etc. with no errors. (Using aShell to run command)

-Cybie

Options

3 Posts

07-03-2012

Texas

18 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 238 of 714

2012-08-01, 22:25 PM

HOLD UP, WAIT A MINUTE! THIS STUFF IS SCARING ME!

Speaking for the regular Joe Schmoe end user without a programming background, I have a few questions and concerns.

First, I'm pretty particular about my gadgetry, and I would say I'm ahead of the curve when it comes to keeping up up with electronics. However, the level of chatter on the board is WAY over my head, and I'm good with that...really. Ultimately,

here's what I want to know:

1. Is Lenovo going to be sending out updates for ICS in the future like they did with HC? Or, will all updates likely come from this forum (or others like it). If the answer is the latter, then...

2. Is it worthwhile/safe for me to attempt the ICS install? Plainly speaking, is it worth the effort of going through all of this on my own and potentially bricking my tablet just to get ICS? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

3. Assuming Lenovo will be providing future support and upgrades, and we don't know that yet, is it best to just wait for an "official" Lenovo upgrade? Or, is this as good as it's going to get as far as Lenovo is concerned with ICS and K1 users.

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

Options

52 Posts

03-13-2012

Canada

188 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 239 of 714

2012-08-01, 22:45 PM

wrote:

No problems here. Although, using power button only seems to bring back to main menu. Use the hardware "home" button to select options. I was able to mount system, clear cache, etc. with no errors. (Using aShell to run command)

-Cybie

I'd be more than glad to try it using the home button but mine is broken... I think I'll just reflash to see if it fixes cwm! 

­

Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Message 240 of 714

2012-08-01, 22:45 PM

wrote:

HOLD UP, WAIT A MINUTE! THIS STUFF IS SCARING ME!

Speaking for the regular Joe Schmoe end user without a programming background, I have a few questions and concerns.

First, I'm pretty particular about my gadgetry, and I would say I'm ahead of the curve when it comes to keeping up up with electronics. However, the level of chatter on the board is WAY over my head, and I'm good with that...really. Ultimately,

here's what I want to know:

1. Is Lenovo going to be sending out updates for ICS in the future like they did with HC? Or, will all updates likely come from this forum (or others like it). If the answer is the latter, then...

ICS for the K1 from Lenovo is not going to be an OTA (Over the Air) update. Thus, if you want ICS on your tablet, you need to install it with your computer. Windows 7, install APX drivers (included with the Lenovo download, and I believe with the khanning version(s)).  Start tablet in APX mode (Hold Vol Up&Down and press and hold pwer until the lights come on. Then, simply run the flash-win.bat and let it go.

2. Is it worthwhile/safe for me to attempt the ICS install? Plainly speaking, is it worth the effort of going through all of this on my own and potentially bricking my tablet just to get ICS? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

With APX mode, it's nearly impossible to 'brick' your tablet. I have done crazy things with my tablet and always been able to re-flash a ROM with APX mode. If your tablet works fine for you on HC, I'd leave it. At least until some of the 'bugs' are worked out. Also, I recommend installing khannings ROMs as they have better funcionality, will be easily updatable (without deleteing all your data), and include the necessary Google Apps. ICS is not a necessity, but a preference among many. If you don't have a specific reason for it, leave HC on your tablet if you are concerned with losing functionality.

3. Assuming Lenovo will be providing future support and upgrades, and we don't know that yet, is it best to just wait for an "official" Lenovo upgrade? Or, is this as good as it's going to get as far as Lenovo is concerned with ICS and K1 users.

This is the "Official" Lenovo update. They don't plan to support it. but, they are doing a GREAT job supporting the developer(s) in the community to make it as functional and awesome as it can be. I say that because may manufacturer's wouldn't want "Root and Custom ROM" talk on their forums, plus Mark has helped a lot in getting this update taken care of. As of now, and personally, whenever there is a developer working on a device, you're better off with their ROMs. khanning already plans to bring us JellyBean, which you WILL NOT see from Lenovo. The fact that Lenovo brought us ICS (Mainly the Source Code), that give the Developers the best tool(s) possible to create better ROMs for us now and in the future.

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

-Cybie

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms