Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

79 Posts

03-28-2011

United States of America

276 Signins

1534 Page Views

• Views: 1534
  • Message 321 of 714

Re: [ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release (data cable fix?)

2012-08-02, 19:12 PM
With many of the bugs worked out on our K-1s I wonder if anyone might have some idea of how to use the Lenovo supplied data cable along with a female/female gender bender to take the place of the USB host cable which Lenovo did
NOT supply to US customers. I placed an order for one from Lenovo but am taking a wait and see attitude.
Thinkpad X-60 (Linux Mint 13_Maya, running VBox WinXP and Win7

Ideapad K-1 Now running Jelly Bean (kudos to Khanning and krook
Options

11 Posts

06-19-2012

Cumming, GA

86 Signins

459 Page Views

• Views: 459
  • Message 322 of 714

Re: [ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release

2012-08-02, 19:22 PM
Thanks for adding new life to my K1!  I downloaded the AOSP rooted version and did the recovery update to fix the key issues. I am a newbie at this and had to do a little reading and experimentation with terminal emulators, figure out recovery mode, etc. But it is well worth it and I learned a few things along the way. I had previously backed up my apps to my PC using ES file Explorer. I used Google Play and Amazon to restore the apps I had purchased from them and used the PC backup to restore the apps I had downloaded off the internet or that had come with the Lenovo.

This is great!! Thanks Khanning for the hard work you put into this and everyone else for your posts that answered a lot of questions I had. Now I'm ready for the Jelly Bean AOSP!! ;)
Lamar
Options

95 Posts

04-13-2012

USA

390 Signins

2291 Page Views

• Views: 2291
  • Message 323 of 714

Re: [ROM][ICS]Ideapad K1 Official Release (data cable fix?)

2012-08-02, 19:51 PM

wrote:
With many of the bugs worked out on our K-1s I wonder if anyone might have some idea of how to use the Lenovo supplied data cable along with a female/female gender bender to take the place of the USB host cable which Lenovo did
NOT supply to US customers. I placed an order for one from Lenovo but am taking a wait and see attitude.

That won't work.  It's not a software problem. It's the wiring in the cords.  A Male-to-Female converter will not turn the data cable into a host cable.  It may be possible to cut all the cables on the data cable and rewire them to the correct place on a female USB port (but the effort to figure out those correct places is a work in progress).  

Options

51 Posts

01-31-2012

Oregon

35 Signins

258 Page Views

• Views: 258
  • Message 324 of 714

2012-08-02, 20:20 PM

wrote:
, how where you able to install cybie's file, I'm having trouble following the instructions. Thanks

Use ES File Explorer (NOTE: You MUST be using the Rooted Version of the ROM. You need ROOT permissions to change/move/rename/delete, etc., this file)

In ES File Explorer, do the following:

1. Start App (accept any allowing or SuperUser msg that appears)

2. Go into settings

3. Select the boxes for "Up to Root", "Root Explorer", "Mount File System"

4. go back to where you can see files.

(Option Step --> Press UP (in the app) and go to system folder. Rename build.prop to build.prop.bak

5. find the downloaded (Best to download directly to tablet for this) file, whereever you saved it to.

6. long press the file and select "copy to"

7. In the window that appears, click up and click root "/", then go to system folder

8. when in the system folder, select "OK"

9. Reboot

10. go to settings-->apps-->Google Play

11. Clear Cache, Clear Data

12. Shut down tablet.

13. Wait 5-15 minutes (You can boot tablet and use while waiting.

14. Start Google Play

15. Check for Chrome being Available to download and install

16. If so, good. If not. Wait a bit longer and try step 15 again

Hope this helps. Wrote this in few minutes before heading out. I will check in later for any additional help I can assist with.

-Cybie

Options

46 Posts

05-26-2012

Canada

58 Signins

342 Page Views

• Views: 342
  • Message 325 of 714

2012-08-02, 20:46 PM

wrote:

I've been working on the build.prop file. I've managed to get the Play Store to show Google Earth, Chrome, Firefox Beta (Firefox is still incompat), Gameloft Live!, Where's My Water, Pogo Games, and WAZE GPS as good and compat.

It seems the build.prop file is the Kulprit here and when I get a at least Firefox (if at all possible as it may not be ICS ready??? since there is a FireFox BETA) and Go Locker to work, I plan to share it with others. Those are two apps I know are problems.

I would really like some feedback on other apps that are not "compatible" for testing. That's the only way to tell if it's now only limited to just a couple of apps, then I'm good with what I have.

As for the .mov... You need a player that has the codecs. just search for '.mov player' and you should be good with that. :)

-Cybie

Well I don't particulary like to spoof the tablet although I know it doesn't hurt.   Khanning was so close to the point even by using K1 but I think that going any further will mandatory requires a spoof isn'it?

As for the codecs,  I used to work with MX Player which is doing so so with .mov  (sound is glitching).   But I've been really suprised when I discovered that the Lenovo ICS build could play .mov directly in Gallery.   I'm not crazy,  I swear I ran a .mov in Gallery default player.   That's why I'm wondering if Lenovo build had some more codecs implemented for Gallery.   If some remember,  there was 2 Gallery apps in this build.   Was there something to do with this?  Just asking...

Anyways,  I'll roll back to an external player....  and try the spoof.

Options

52 Posts

03-13-2012

Canada

188 Signins

879 Page Views

• Views: 879
  • Message 326 of 714

2012-08-02, 20:50 PM

wrote:

@

4. ICS does not have the "google" text there, that screenshot is from Honeycomb.

Are you sure about that? Because when the first build was released (khanning's one, but not the AOSP) there were google written. Two files were into system/apps, quisearchbox.apk and googlesearchbox.apk (or something like this) and now, the quicsearchbox.apk is missing which I think is the cause to the missing google. Here, you can see that even on ICS there is the google thingy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKkSr0W62A4

Options

255 Posts

12-27-2011

United States

236 Signins

1864 Page Views

• Views: 1864
  • Message 327 of 714

2012-08-02, 20:59 PM

Well, I'm sure the screenshot is from Honeycomb. Looking on that video the TF does have the Google text. But there again, the TF's build of ICS also has a custom skin on it.

I know that when I flashed CM9 to my K1 there was no text there as well.

Looking around screenshots from Google Images I see that there appear to be several different styles; some with the magnifying glass to the left of the Google text, some with just the google text, some without the microphone...perhaps it's one of those things that changes based on the hardware it's running on. Curious.

Options

36 Posts

06-19-2012

40 Signins

276 Page Views

• Message 328 of 714

2012-08-02, 21:40 PM

wrote:

Well, I'm sure the screenshot is from Honeycomb. Looking on that video the TF does have the Google text. But there again, the TF's build of ICS also has a custom skin on it.

I know that when I flashed CM9 to my K1 there was no text there as well.

Looking around screenshots from Google Images I see that there appear to be several different styles; some with the magnifying glass to the left of the Google text, some with just the google text, some without the microphone...perhaps it's one of those things that changes based on the hardware it's running on. Curious.

Guys it is definitely HC and I can tell you that without the google logo. It's HC because there is a + in the top right corner for adding widgets. In ICS they are added through the app drawer.

Options

3 Posts

07-03-2012

Texas

18 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 329 of 714

2012-08-02, 23:09 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. For now, I think I may stick to HC until a few more of the bugs get worked out. Seems that if something happened to Khanning we'd be in a pretty big pile of boo boo.
Options

5583 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40006 Signins

768165 Page Views

• Views: 768165
  • Message 330 of 714

2012-08-02, 21:01 PM
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms