Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 121 of 260

Re: [ROM][JB][AOSP] Lenovo Ideapad K1

2012-09-14, 12:24 PM

wrote:

The different/wrong subfolders is a problem for 32 bit, but the 64 bit is correct. I am pretty sure that both KH and Crook just passed on the drivers as received from Lenovo. The package from Lenovo has the bad subfolder name, but many of us already had the drivers loaded before that package drop. As I have only used 64 bit for this, I have had no driver issues.

My assumption, too, was that KH and krook just passed on what they got from Lenovo.  Highlighting this issue was not intended in any way to detract from the great work they've done, but rather to make the community aware of the 32-bit driver folder mismatch, and help those having problems installing the drivers.  And perhaps KH and krook can make a correction, if it's included in any future package updates.

Options

41 Posts

06-16-2012

The Lone Star State

202 Signins

2932 Page Views

• Views: 2932
  • Message 122 of 260

2012-09-14, 22:21 PM

Good job/eyes on even catching the mismatch. Most of us using the 64 bit assumed poorly that whoever was having driver problems had messed up rather than a package problem. After all, the package worked for us. I messed up krook's name (sorry about that). No one is to blame here, even those critical of Lenovo's ICS package need to remember that they did the underpinnings of what we now have as great packages. Most of us are very happy with our wifi, but 3G is mostly still broken. Krook also believes the Gapps package is compiled for more capability than our tegra 2 tablets. We have a ways to go, but every problem found, suggestion, or even desire expressed is a contribution to the effort. Thanks to all for your continuing efforts. 

Options

17 Posts

12-15-2011

United States

20 Signins

141 Page Views

• Views: 141
  • Message 123 of 260

2012-09-17, 1:51 AM
Installed khanning ROM. Everything worked great! Other than the few problems spelled out here, the tablet is faster than the stock HC. Thanks for everyone's help and instructions. I updated directly from stock HC. Terrific job khanning. Need to find your link to send you some dough. Anyone having doubts or nervous to upgrade, its pretty simple. I used a Vista 64 machine. Worked seamless.
Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 124 of 260

2012-09-18, 13:09 PM

I originally posted this in response to a question in another thread, but thought it might be worthwhile repeating it here, since it could be of use to people coming to this thread for information on upgrading to JB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the original instructions from khanning, on how to install the JB AOSP ROM.  I've added some more detailed commentary that you might find helpful.

Nvflash version

1. Download one of the packages above and extract it to a directory

To upgrade to the Jelly Bean AOSP (Android Open Source Project) build from the Honeycomb stock 3.2.1 build, download the JB AOSP zip file, either from here (goo.im) or here (androidfileshare.com).  Save it into a folder on your PC.  Find the file in Windows explorer, right click on it, select "Extract All", and follow the prompts to unzip this file into a folder of your choosing.  Remember where this is.

Note: If you are running a 32-bit version of Windows, there is a known bug that you can correct at this point, which has caused installation problems for some people.  Open Windows Explorer, navigate to where you extracted the zip file, open that folder and look for one called "drivers".  Open the "drivers" folder, and there should be two folders, "amd64" and "x86".  Rename the "x86" folder to "i386".  This should make the APX drivers for 32-bit windows install properly.

2. Power off device

Power off your tablet.  Make sure it is fully charged before proceeding.

3. Press and hold both the Vol + and Vol - buttons

This is a little tricky, but you must press down both ends of the volume rocker switch at the same time, most likely with your index and middle finger.

4. While holding both Volume buttons power the tablet on

Then (probably with the other hand) just press the power on button for 3 seconds, until it powers on.

5. The screen should go black and the two front LED's should remain lit. You are now in APX mode

If not, you might not have had both ends of the Vol+/- switch held down properly.  Power off and try again.

6. Connect your device to USB

Using the USB cable that came with your K1, connect one end to the connector on the K1, and the other to an available USB port on your PC.

7a) Windows: Install the APX drivers from the 'drivers' folder

This is where it might get a little tricky.  When you connect your K1 to your PC, you might get a "new hardware" prompt to install drivers.  If so, choose to install the drivers from a known location, and point it to the "drivers" directory in the folder where you extracted the ROM zip file.

If you don't get a prompt, you might have to install the drivers manually, through the Windows Device Manager.  In XP, right click on My Computer, select Properties, go to the Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager.  In Win7, the easiest way is to click on Start, type in "devmgmt.msc", and press Enter.  There should be an APX device in the device list.  Right click on it, select to update drivers, and then point it at the aforementioned "drivers" directory.

Once the APX drivers are installed properly, you should see an APX device in the Device Manager list, with no yellow exclamation point next to it.

The good news is that until you get past this point where the drivers are installed, no changes are made to your tablet.  So if you get stuck on this step, just power off your tablet (hold the power button till it turns off), and come back to the forums for help.  You can continue to use your tablet as it was.

Double click the 'flash-windows.bat' file

Actually, in this package, it's called "flash-win.bat".  This is what does the install of the new ROM.  Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you extracted the zip file, find "flash-win.bat", and double click on it.  Or, you can open a Command Prompt and do a "cd" to that folder, and type in "flash-win.bat" as a command.  I'd kind of recommend doing it the latter way, so that the command window doesn't close automatically when the batch file completes.

If all goes well, the batch file will complete after a few minutes, and then you can just disconnect the cable and restart your tablet.  It will take a little while (several minutes) for it to come up the first time you power it on, because Android has to rebuild some cached information.  If the batch file gets stuck (a few people have had it stop after a message about "partition 12"), force the table to power off, disconnect it, power it on again in APX mode, reconnect it, and try again (note: you won't have to install the drivers again).

Note that you will have to reinstall your applications, either by downloading them through Google Play or other app stores (like Amazon), or, if you've backed them up to your SD card using a backup application, you can reload that app and use it to restore them.  You will lose the app data (game scores, config settings, etc.), however.

7b) Linux: run 'chmod +x flash-linux.sh && sudo ./flash-linux.sh' from the extracted directory

If you're running Linux, I'm guessing you don't need this extra help!  ;-)

Options

31 Posts

05-30-2012

USA

193 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 125 of 260

2012-09-18, 15:37 PM

Successfully flashed from CWM ICS to CWM JB.

Quite smooth.

Only a couple of apps on the home screen had to be removed and replaced with the same app.  Stated app wasn't installed.

Anyway, FACE UNLOCK seems to be broken.  I get to the setup point and it just goes back to the main security screen.

I know it wasn't very secure, but it was a neat feature to show off.

Also, I see that the Model Number is back to Ideapad K1.  No more Xoom spoofing?

Thanks

Paul

Options

42 Posts

12-20-2011

United States of America

578 Signins

3074 Page Views

• Views: 3074
  • Message 126 of 260

2012-09-18, 18:02 PM

I have been running Kreg Hanning's Jelly Bean for many weeks and enjoying it thoroughly.

I recently had a problem with my K1 running JB. I don't know if it was a hardware or software issue. I have re-read all the posts in this thread and didn't find any that matched.

A few days ago, I charged the K1, put it to sleep, and didn't use it for 3+ days. I then powered it on to check on the battery status (~60%). It powered up normally. I then turned off the wifi, and powered off.

When I next tried to use the tablet, it would power up to the "Lenovo" screen, but no farther, even as long as 5-6 minutes. No boot, no JB animation.

I reloaded JB via the NVflash route today, and all seems good so far.

Options

79 Posts

03-28-2011

United States of America

276 Signins

1534 Page Views

• Views: 1534
  • Message 127 of 260

2012-09-18, 20:32 PM

wrote:

I originally posted this in response to a question in another thread, but thought it might be worthwhile repeating it here, since it could be of use to people coming to this thread for information on upgrading to JB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the original instructions from khanning, on how to install the JB AOSP ROM.  I've added some more detailed commentary that you might find helpful.

--snipped for brevity--

7b) Linux: run 'chmod +x flash-linux.sh && sudo ./flash-linux.sh' from the extracted directory

If you're running Linux, I'm guessing you don't need this extra help!  ;-)

I did find these additional comments helpful, especially as more and more K-1 owners, who may just be arriving at the Jelly Bean Party, need explicit help.

However, as one of those addressed in 7b) above, I had a problem in figuring out how to do in Linux what amounts to installing an APX driver. To be honest, I think what I did was install the Android SDK and that by definition includes what was necessary to flash ICS 4.03 and later Jelly Bean. I remember learning a few Unix commands like chmod several years ago but was a bit puzzled by the "&&" between the two command line entries. Basically the first chmod +x makes the script executable and ./flash.... executes the script and flashes the K-1(for those who care about such matters). Frequently when I find something in linux that necessitates using the command line I'm just glad if it works. This time I actually KNEW what I was typing ;-)

krustybaguette

Thinkpad X-60 (Linux Mint 13_Maya, running VBox WinXP and Win7

Ideapad K-1 Now running Jelly Bean (kudos to Khanning and krook
Options

31 Posts

05-30-2012

USA

193 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 128 of 260

2012-09-18, 21:21 PM

Ok, tried Krooks CWM JB and Khannings AOSP JB.

Is there any advantage to either one?

Khanning has the OTA.  I want to settle on one final version for my machine.

Thanks

Paul

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 129 of 260

2012-09-18, 23:35 PM

wrote:

Ok, tried Krooks CWM JB and Khannings AOSP JB.

Is there any advantage to either one?

Khanning has the OTA.  I want to settle on one final version for my machine.

Thanks

Paul

Did you mean Krook's CM10 JB build?  CWM (ClockworkMod) is the Android modification that provides boot-time recovery and ROM updates, and it's actually included in Khanning's AOSP JB.  CM10 is Cyanogen Mod based on Jelly Bean, and it provides a set of extra Android features: http://www.cyanogenmod.com/  That's probably the main difference.

Both have some minor bugs, but I don't think there is any comprehensive, consolidated list.

Options

45 Posts

02-01-2012

46 Signins

252 Page Views

• Message 130 of 260

2012-09-19, 16:41 PM

I tried JB ASOP and CM10 verisons.  I could not connect my USB thumb drive attachment to the tablet with CM10, plus I have issues connecting the tablet to the PC to move files.  CM10 did have some nice customizations and the wifi signal meter worked - but I use my USB drive a lot for media - so I jumped back to JB AOSP.

It works just as fast, but I really do not miss the extra stuff in CM10 - but my wifi signal meter does not work in JB AOSP.  

IMO, opinion the USB drive connection trumped the wifi signal meter ;)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms