01-31-2012

USA

401 Signins

1286 Page Views

• Views: 1286
  • Message 41 of 260

Re: [ROM][JB][AOSP] Lenovo Ideapad K1

2012-08-24, 20:57 PM

Anybody having problems with the Chrome app with this ROM? I've been using Chrome as my primary browser on both my stock ICS Galaxy S3 and my CM10 Fascinate, but I've found that it seems to stop processing requests on the K1 when used for any length of time.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Views: 3933
  • Message 42 of 260

2012-08-25, 2:47 AM

Definitely some problem with the WiFi instrumentation in this ROM, although WiFi seems to work well enough.  Not only does the tray WiFi indicator not show any signal strength, but all of my network-related apps show a link speed of "-1" and a signal strength of "-200 dBm".  I'd think that maybe the apps needed updates for JB, if it weren't for the fact that the tray indicator doesn't work, either.

Offhand, it looks like it's probably some issue with the android.net.wifi package, in the WiFiInfo and WiFiManager classes.

gm2racer - sorry, haven't been using Chrome, so I can't help you.  Other browsers seem to be working fine, though.

Options

60 Posts

01-27-2012

NH

53 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 43 of 260

2012-08-26, 0:36 AM

It appears that the wifi indicator shows whether there is a wifi signal, but does not differentiate strength or "levels." 

Because of the problem where wifi doesn't automatically reconnect after sleep, I installed a wifi switch so I can stop and restart wifi from the home screen.  While the wifi is reconnecting, the wifi triangle is a blank outline with no signal.  I assume this also occurs when the wifi is on, but no signal is present - I haven't used it in that type of situation as yet since the primary use of my K1 is at home.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 44 of 260

2012-08-26, 2:49 AM

Just to quantify how much better my K1 is running with this ROM, my Quadrant benchmark score went from 1820 (on stock HC) to 2448 - about a 35% improvement in benchmark performance!  No wonder it seems more snappy!

P.S. gm2racer - I installed Chrome and used it for a little bit.  It was really fast and smooth, but after a few minutes I think I ran into the same problem you did where it would not load any more pages.  However, I think it might have been something to do with the network functions, because other apps were not getting to the Internet either.  I disconnected and reconnected the WiFi, and things came back.  Perhaps there are several issues lurking in the WiFi/network stack??

Options

60 Posts

01-27-2012

NH

53 Signins

291 Page Views

• Views: 291
  • Message 45 of 260

2012-08-26, 15:47 PM

Out of curiosity, how much "time" are you talking about?  I just use the stock browser even though I do have Chrome and Dolphin loaded.  The stock browser is usually fine for anything I do.

I can chug along for quite some time with no problem.  I've never tracked it, but I would guesstimate the longest session so far under JB with the stock browser is about 2 hours with no hangs - well, their may have been one time, but it seemed to clear up after closing and restarting the browser (not tablet reboot).

The only wifi problem I'm having (at least that I notice) is the problem of not reconnecting after sleep.  It's a minor inconvience as I installed a simple wifi switch on the home page (turn it off and back on, and it connects right away).

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 46 of 260

2012-08-26, 18:11 PM

wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much "time" are you talking about?  I just use the stock browser even though I do have Chrome and Dolphin loaded.  The stock browser is usually fine for anything I do.

I can chug along for quite some time with no problem.  I've never tracked it, but I would guesstimate the longest session so far under JB with the stock browser is about 2 hours with no hangs - well, their may have been one time, but it seemed to clear up after closing and restarting the browser (not tablet reboot).

The only wifi problem I'm having (at least that I notice) is the problem of not reconnecting after sleep.  It's a minor inconvience as I installed a simple wifi switch on the home page (turn it off and back on, and it connects right away).

I'm not sure if your question was directed at me, but I agree that generally there don't seem to be any "severe" network problems in this ROM, perhaps just a number of minor issues.   When I tried out Chrome, that was actually the first time I had a browser hang up on me (it happened within 10 minutes of use), and I was surprised to find that it appeared to have affected the underlying network and not just the browser.  The browser I use the most at the moment is actually the "Boat" browser (small, light, fast), or sometimes Firefox (beta).

By the way, WiFi Analyzer seems to be able to get the signal strength correctly, so I'm not sure if it's using a different API, or if something changed in JB that some of the other apps haven't caught up with yet.

Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 47 of 260

2012-08-26, 18:56 PM

For anyone making the jump to JB, I have an app recommendation, if you're not already familiar with it.  I had been using an app called Quick Settings to provide easy access to my most-used setting controls (screen brightness, WiFi on/off, Bluetooth on/off, etc.).   That app no longer seems to work very well in JB, but a newer app by the same developer works really well, and integrates nicely with the notifications/setting pop-up.   It's called Settings Extended.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hb.settings

Options

12 Posts

06-18-2012

Indianapolis, IN

380 Signins

886 Page Views

• Views: 886
  • Message 48 of 260

2012-08-27, 19:04 PM

wrote:

For anyone making the jump to JB, I have an app recommendation, if you're not already familiar with it.  I had been using an app called Quick Settings to provide easy access to my most-used setting controls (screen brightness, WiFi on/off, Bluetooth on/off, etc.).   That app no longer seems to work very well in JB, but a newer app by the same developer works really well, and integrates nicely with the notifications/setting pop-up.   It's called Settings Extended.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hb.settings

Very nice.  Thanks!

-Chris

Options

79 Posts

03-28-2011

US

276 Signins

1534 Page Views

• Views: 1534
  • Message 49 of 260

2012-08-28, 2:19 AM

You can use the CWM package if you are already using an Ideapad Rom that includes Clockwork Mod recovery. You will need to wipe data before flashing the CWM package.

Does the above mean simply deleting the contents of the card? or doing Factory Data Reset in Settings or something else?

I have been trying to install the CWM_K1_JB_AOSP.zip with no success  Current ROM is khannings rooted ICS 4.0.3.

CWM versions

CWM_K1_JB_AOSP.zip
ac961c73a9a5792a6c7b049937d43fdf

CWM version

1. Download one of the CWM_K1_*.zip versions and move to external sdcard

Any particular location or in /?

2. Reboot into recovery

I've installed ROM Manager, and Recovery, including Touch but can get anywhere
3. Install zip from sdcard

What does this mean. Does it mean to extract all files in the .zip? Or does it mean that if I successfully get into  

K1Recovery I'll be able to select that as an option?
4. Choose zip from sdcard

5. Flash the update.

How to boot into recovery

Rooted version

From a Terminal Application
Run the follow two commands

su
k1recovery

This step gets me nowhere. Secoind command result is sh k1recovery not found

krustybaguette

Thinkpad X-60 (Linux Mint 13_Maya, running VBox WinXP and Win7

Ideapad K-1 Now running Jelly Bean (kudos to Khanning and krook
Options

266 Posts

08-27-2009

Virginia, USA

804 Signins

3933 Page Views

• Message 50 of 260

2012-08-28, 2:45 AM

Krusty, just to be clear, is the current ROM you have installed the one that khanning built from the official ICS release -- that is, the [ROM][ICS] Ideapad K1 Official Release from the "K1 ICS 120607 Rooted.zip" file?  Since you say you are on version 4.0.3, I'm guessing that is the case (since the AOSP ICS ROM is based on 4.0.4).

If so, it does not include CWM recovery.  Per khanning's notes on this ROM, "As most of you know Lenovo released the official ICS build for the Ideapad K1 today. The new bootloader will not allow me to boot into recovery partition, so no custom recovery for now.".  That's why the "k1recovery" command is not found.

Assuming that's the case, you cannot install the CWM version of the JB ROM.  You'd have to do the full nvflash version.

UPDATE: I see in the other thread for the [ROM][ICS] official release that you have supposedly used ROM Manager to manually install CWM recovery yourself.  If so, the command to do a recovery boot from from an su command is probably not "k1recovery", but something more generic, assuming there is one.  Actually, I think I did see somewhere that the generic command is "reboot recovery", but that may have been through ADB.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete