Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 7

Screen always dims too much when auto brightness enabled (Smart Tab M8)

2021-02-14, 15:23 PM

Does anyone else have a Smart Tab M8 (or other Lenovo tablet) where the auto brightness doesn't seem to work properly?

I find that whenever I enable auto brightness, it briefly works as expected, but very soon afterwards it goes very dim and stays that way, regardless of ambient light level. My workaround for now is simply to disable auto brightness, but it's a bit frustrating as the feature was one reason I chose this model (seeing as many in this price range don't have a light sensor).

I have raised it with Lenovo Support, but as I feared, the response is to send the tablet in for examination & repair, and for me that is a last resort - I would rather just live with the problem than have to reset, send the tablet away for a while and reconfigure it all afterwards. I thought it worth raising on here though, just to see if others have had the same problem, and ideally to raise awareness so that if it is a software bug (seems a possibility) then it can perhaps be addressed in a future update.

Options

1936 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

238 Signins

20767 Page Views

• Views: 20767
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:Screen always dims too much when auto brightness enabled (Smart Tab M8)

2021-02-15, 16:38 PM

Hello @Larches!

Nice to have you here at Community Forums!

Please check first if there's an available update to the Smart Tab M8 and download/install it to the device.

Once done, test/check the brightness again.

You may also try resetting the auto brightness/adaptive brightness feature by turning it off and on.

Also, reset the adaptive brightness itself by going to Settings > Apps & Notifications > look/search for the app Device Health Services and tap on Storage > select Reset adaptive brightness.

Should the step above isn't found or available in the Smart Tab M8, you may proceed in performing a factory reset to the device itself.

Make sure to back up the files first as this step will erase all data that's stored in it.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-02-16, 15:06 PM

Hi again @Adriel_lenovo, thanks for your reply here too!

Thank you for those suggestions - the tablet is already updated to the latest version (and I've turned the feature off and on quite a few times now!), but I will try the reset suggestion and see how I get on.

Options

1936 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

238 Signins

20767 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-02-16, 16:45 PM

@ Larches wrote:

Hi again @Adriel_lenovo, thanks for your reply here too!

Thank you for those suggestions - the tablet is already updated to the latest version (and I' turned the feature off and on quite a few times now!), but I will try the reset suggestion and see how I get on.

Thanks for responding @Larches!

No worries, please provide an update here for us to know if the issue's been sorted out.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-02-23, 10:30 AM

Hi @Adriel_lenovo, although the screen doesn't seem to be defaulting to minimum brightness so often now, I am still having problems with it not being responsive enough to brighten the screen when exposed to bright sunlight, so I was going to try the reset you mentioned. However, I can't find Device Health Services, despite selecting 'Show System' and using the search function. Is there anything else the app in question could be called? Apologies if I'm missing something.

Options

1936 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

238 Signins

20767 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-02-23, 17:44 PM

Thanks for the update @Larches!

It seems that the Device Health Services isn't available for your Smart Tab M8.

With this, you may definitely proceed in performing a factory reset to the device and see if the brightness/display issue will be sorted out.

Again and to remind, please make sure to back up the files first as this step will erase all data that's stored in it.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-02-24, 21:45 PM

*groans* ;)

Thank you @Adriel_lenovo for your reply - I was hoping to avoid the disruption of a factory reset, but I find that all paths inevitably seem to lead that way! We rely on the tablet daily, including for home schooling just now, so we'll just have to put up with this until a suitable moment arises when there is time to try that.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms