Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 3

Screen responds to touch even when enclosed by case (Smart Tab M8)

2021-02-14, 15:13 PM

When looking for a protective case to buy for my Lenovo Smart Tab M8, I was very surprised to see a user review claiming that the screen remained responsive even when covered by a case lid. I must admit I was a bit sceptical as I've never heard of such a thing, and it just didn't seem plausible through a cover of any decent thickness. I bought the case anyway, and felt bad for doubting the reviewer, as mine did exactly the same. I tried a case from a different manufacturer, a little sturdier this time, and the same thing happens.

My last tablet had auto sleep/wake, so I am in the habit of just closing the case when I've finished using it, without turning the screen off first. In any case, the screen timeout can take care of that. However, the problem is that as soon as I close the case I'm inevitably gripping it on either side of the case, and wherever I happen to touch on the front of the case, the corresponding app icon on that part of the screen is launched, and other unintended interactions may follow, with whatever unpredictable consequences (given that I can't see what it going on under the cover). All of this can happen purely from closing the case and putting the tablet down.

I'm not aware of this being a common problem with touchscreens, and it certainly didn't happen on my last-but-one tablet which I used to handle in the same way. It's almost like it is a hypersensitive screen (quite impressive, but not in a helpful way!). Has anyone else come across this?

Obviously the solution for now is to try and remember to turn off the screen before closing the case (using a shortcut as I'd rather not have to fumble around for the power button), but old habits die hard and I often still forget to do so. I'm guessing there's not much can be done to address this, but I'm still keen to raise awareness and see if it's a known issue.

Options

2227 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

252 Signins

22357 Page Views

• Views: 22357
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Screen responds to touch even when enclosed by case (Smart Tab M8)

2021-02-15, 16:11 PM

Hello @Larches!

Nice to have you here at Community Forums!

As for this concern, it is advisable to have the screen be off or locked first before closing the case that you're using to your Tab M8.

By doing this, this prevents any accidental touches or movements the device itself can make.

You may also have the screen to timeout so that you can close the cover afterwards though, waiting for it to lock/timeout takes time even if you've selected the shortest time/setting before it sets to lock/off.

I'm sure that all devices that we've had or we're using right now surely makes those kinds of accidental actions if we weren't able to lock the screen first before putting it like inside our pockets or closing the covers (front) of casings that we have.

There are some protective cases/casings offered online or on the market that allows the devices screen to be closed automatically as soon as the cover is also closed.

However, you may need to get in touch with the manufacturers itself if they do have one that's compatible or that works with Tab M8.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

9 Posts

11-27-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

9 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Screen responds to touch even when enclosed by case (Smart Tab M8)

2021-02-16, 15:04 PM

Hi @Adriel_lenovo, thanks for your reply.

I' sure that all devices that we' had or we' using right now surely makes those kinds of accidental actions if we weren' able to lock the screen first before putting it like inside our pockets or closing the covers (front) of casings that we have.

That's the funny thing - I raised the question because I've never come across this before with my previous touchscreen devices (from various manufacturers), and even have a Lenovo (Moto) phone here which does not exhibit the same behaviour - i.e. the screen does not respond to touch when covered by the case. The reviews I read seemed to suggest this is unusual behaviour too.

There are some protective cases/casings offered online or on the market that allows the devices screen to be closed automatically as soon as the cover is also closed.

However, you may need to get in touch with the manufacturers itself if they do have one that' compatible or that works with Tab M8.

I believe that the 'auto sleep/wake' capability must be supported by both the device and the case, and I got the impression from information online that the Tab M8 does not offer this feature (needs a magnet or proximity sensor as I understand it). Hence none of the cases I looked at specified this capability, due to the spec of the tablet. Please do let me know if that's wrong though.

Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms