Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

01-18-2021

Canada

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 5

Security Update in red

2021-03-08, 20:52 PM

I don't know if this forum is the right place to ask about this. 

I noticed that the security update is now in red when it was green. I tapped Check for Updates and nothing.

I'm running Android 10. It's this happening to anyone else?

Thanks.

Screenshot_2021-03-08-15-06-36-140.jpeg
Options

3551 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

316 Signins

29242 Page Views

• Views: 29242
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Security Update in red

2021-03-08, 21:10 PM

Hello @Minty_Fresh!

Nice to have you here at the Community Forums!

Just to ask:

• What type of Lenovo device are you using? Can you please provide its MTM (machine type-model) number for us to check its specifications?
  • Also, are you experiencing performance-related issue despite seeing this icon?
  • When did you noticed this?
  • And does your device does have a SIM slot (card)?

Usually, getting or seeing a red security update icon indicates that it haven't done any updates for more than 90 days thus, turning it to a red icon to give a warning.

Try to check for any updates through the My games & apps section of Google Play store.

If there's none, remove the SIM and MicroSD cards off your device then check for updates again.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6 Posts

01-18-2021

Canada

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-03-08, 21:19 PM
Hello, I'm using the Tab M8 HD. TB-8505F From what I can tell, everything seems to be working okay. I just noticed this today. I do use a SD card but it's used as internal so I don't like to remove it if I don't have to. I checked the play store and all of my apps are updated.
Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-03-09, 7:32 AM

In my experience, at least with Lenovo devices, security updates occur when a new system update occurs. This is my experience with the P10, M10 FHD Plus and P11 Pro – I don’t recall installing a security update directly from the security submenu, but I could be mistaken. If no system updates are available then I wouldn’t worry about it too much. My P11 Pro security update status is the same as your M8 HD.

Understanding the actual risk of not having the very most recent security patches with Android has always been a bit blurred to me. On one hand, quoted advice is often similar to Windows 10, but clearly the risk of not having the very most recent patches (exceptions aside) is not as great (unless, perhaps, you have rooted your device). Also, routine monthly security patches aren’t provided by many manufactures.

I think I read somewhere that critical security updates are pushed directly by Google in Android 11 (I'm not sure if that applies to devices updated to Android 11, or just those shipping with Android 11).

Options

6 Posts

01-18-2021

Canada

5 Signins

30 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-03-09, 12:44 PM
Thanks MattyS. At least it's not just me. I had checked to see if it needed to be updated but it's all up to date.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms