Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 13

Smart Tab M8 - Spotify/TuneIn audio stops when the screen is switched off?

2021-02-13, 16:48 PM

Hi there. I just got the Lenovo Smart Tab M8 and I really like it, but it seems its impossible to listen to streaming music / audio with the screen off. I've turned off battery optimisation/management at both a system and app level.  I contacted support on Whatsapp and they told me I'd have to contact Spotify / TuneIn etc. as it's not a Lenovo issue. Two different Lenovo agents have told me this, and I'm uttely amazed/baffled. I've owned many android devices over the years and never once had this kind of issue. I would have thought background audio was a standard Android feature.

So, is there a way around this? Or is this tablet a complete dud? Seems incredible that a media tablet released in the last year or two would be incapable of streaming audio when the screen is switched off.

Cheers.

Options

2390 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23077 Page Views

• Views: 23077
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Smart Tab M8 - Spotify/TuneIn audio stops when the screen is switched off?

2021-02-15, 15:36 PM

@ LardPhantom wrote:

Hi there. I just got the Lenovo Smart Tab M8 and I really like it, but it seems its impossible to listen to streaming music / audio with the screen off. I' turned off battery optimisation/management at both a system and app level.  I contacted support on Whatsapp and they told me I' have to contact Spotify / TuneIn etc. as it' not a Lenovo issue. Two different Lenovo agents have told me this, and I' uttely amazed/baffled. I' owned many android devices over the years and never once had this kind of issue. I would have thought background audio was a standard Android feature.

So, is there a way around this? Or is this tablet a complete dud? Seems incredible that a media tablet released in the last year or two would be incapable of streaming audio when the screen is switched off.

Cheers.

Welcome to the Community Forums @LardPhantom!

Nice to have you here!

Go to Settings > try to type in the word "Sleeping apps" or go instead to Apps > look for Spotify or TuneIn > select "Allow background activity".

You may also go to Battery/Power settings then search for the apps in there and look for that option.

Test the device again afterwards.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2021-02-16, 18:43 PM
Hi there, thanks for your reply. As per my original post, I have already disabled battery management on a system and app level. It is allowed to play in the background. Is there something else I can try?
Options

2390 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23077 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-02-16, 18:52 PM

@ LardPhantom wrote:

Hi there, thanks for your reply. As per my original post, I have already disabled battery management on a system and app level. It is allowed to play in the background. Is there something else I can try?

Thanks for the update @LardPhantom!

Please check if there's an available update for both the Spotify/TuneIn apps through the My games & apps section of Google Play store.

Also, check if there's an available update for the Smart Tab M8 itself as well.

You may also perform a factory reset to the Smart Tab M8 itself if there are no updates found on the device and apps.

Please note that this step will erase all data that's stored on the device, make sure to back them up first before performing the action.

Should the above step didn't get the job done, it would be advisable to get in touch with the Spotify and TuneIn app support team to have this be reported and be checked on their end as this may seem a possible app related concern.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2021-02-16, 19:54 PM

I've already done all the steps that you've mentioned.

Tablet has just updated to Android 10 when taken out of the box.

Apps freshly installed.

I've also done a factory reset.

So Lenovo Tablets are not compatible with Spotify? I have several other other Android tablets and phones and none have this issue.

So as a Lenovo customer I have to chase each individual app developer to make an App that works with my tablet, and Lenovo has not done this themselves? I've spent money on a Lenovo device so now I have bought myself the job of canvassing the developers of some of the most popular apps on the app store in order to get an app that works for me?

This seems a bit crazy.

Options

2390 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

260 Signins

23077 Page Views

• Message 6 of 13

2021-02-17, 21:57 PM

@ LardPhantom wrote:

I' already done all the steps that you' mentioned.

Tablet has just updated to Android 10 when taken out of the box.

Apps freshly installed.

I' also done a factory reset.

So Lenovo Tablets are not compatible with Spotify? I have several other other Android tablets and phones and none have this issue.

So as a Lenovo customer I have to chase each individual app developer to make an App that works with my tablet, and Lenovo has not done this themselves? I' spent money on a Lenovo device so now I have bought myself the job of canvassing the developers of some of the most popular apps on the app store in order to get an app that works for me?

This seems a bit crazy.

Thanks for the response @LardPhantom!

As for this concern, try to go to Settings > Apps > search for the Spotify app and look for Permissions then see if there's an option in there to have the app to appear on the screen when it is locked.

If there's none, it could be that this may have been a limitation concern with the device since we've also tried it on the other devices that we have in here like the Tab M10 running on Android 9 and it also shows the same result.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-02-20, 13:58 PM

There is no such setting on the Spotify App, unfortunately. 

>"it could be that this may have been a limitation concern with the device..."

Are you saying that the Tab M8 has been intentionally designed to not allow playback of streaming media when the screen is off? 

Are you also saying that Lenovo Support don't keep an M8 to hand in order for the team to support it?

I know this specific tablet is probably in your lowest percentage of device sales, but it's very disappointing to hear you can't even get your hands on one.

Throughout my support from Lenovo on this issue (you're the 3rd person I've spoken to) the support staff keep referencing items in the settings menu that don't exist on the M8 device, which is as frustrating as it is disappointing and farcical.

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-02-21, 2:28 AM

OK, here's some info that might help Lenovo's Android developers:

It appears if I reset the tablet and start Spotify *immediately* it's got a good chance (if not 100%) of keeping the stream going if the screen turns off.

Same goes for TuneIn Radio and Google Podcasts. 

This suggests to me that maybe audio shutting off when the screen turns off is either a function of Lenovo's decision on the allowable number of background processes or on Lenovo's implementation of RAM management.

After all, this is not *stock* android on this device. Its very much Lenovo's chosen slant on Android OS. 

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2021-02-28, 1:13 AM

Is that it? Is there any more Lenovo support I can get? Or is that it? : an answer I don't understand that is not being clarified to me?

Options

21 Posts

02-13-2021

Ireland

24 Signins

80 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-03-30, 16:24 PM

Could I get some more help on this please?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms