Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Views: 330
  • Message 1 of 8

Tab P11 Pro: 2 Bugs

2021-01-14, 3:58 AM

I've encountered a couple of bugs with the Tab P11 Pro (TB-J706F_S220103_201204_ROW)

1. Using Productivity Mode with a third party launcher breaks the Recent Apps functionality with third party launchers.

Steps to reproduce:

• Install a third party launcher (I’ve tested Nova and Lean Launcher)
      • Set it as the default launcher
      • Turn on Productivity Mode
      • Use the toolbar buttons and/or resize some apps (this may not be required)
      • Turn off Productivity Mode
      • Open an app/apps and try using recent apps

I’ve tried restarting the tablet, reinstalling Nova, clearing the default launcher’s cache/storage. I’ve had to revert to the default launcher for now (Smart Launcher).

1. If I use the tablet while charging with a case on, or placed on a flat surface, then the tablet sometimes seems to think my finger is an active pen. This is most noticeable while using Gboard, for example, as some taps/swipes will not register. This problem (picking up taps as swipes etc. while charging) doesn’t appear unique to this device. This issue doesn’t affect my usage that much, but I do wonder if it may indicate further issues down the track (depending on what the exact cause is, I gather).

Options

254 Posts

03-14-2019

United States of America

383 Signins

1697 Page Views

• Views: 1697
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:Tab P11 Pro: 2 Bugs

2021-01-14, 13:28 PM

I've talked about a few bugs on the p 11 Pro , when you activate Access assistant with hey Google Will stop the microphone working From many of Google apps , Including YouTube , Gboard , Google Chrome And others . So I Have it left off . I use Nova Launcher right now with no problems You got to go with an older version .

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-01-15, 4:08 AM

I think I read about that bug elsewhere, perhaps on a Chinese forum (auto translated). I don’t have Google Assistant’s voice activation enabled, so I haven’t encountered the issue myself.

I did try installing an older version of Nova, but the same thing happened. The Recent Apps screen (or just called “Recents”, I think) takes on a weird combination of the regular Recents screen and Productivity Mode. The Recent app previews are actually themselves resizable and the foreground app doesn’t minimise - so the preview displays on top of the app.

Like I said, I didn’t notice this issue until I used Productivity Mode with Nova as the default launcher, so as long as people don’t use Productivity Mode with a third party launcher, then this may not happen to them. Or, it may just be my device, or something I’ve done, but I’m not aware of doing anything that would cause this.

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-01-19, 3:12 AM

I received the system update "TB-J706F_S240073_201229_ROW" last night. The update (only 39MB) does not itemise what it fixed. It has not fixed the issue with third party Launchers and Recent Apps.

It would be good if Lenovo provided a list of what was fixed/updated. Even just a summarised list would be appreciated.

Is there a way to bring the third party Launcher and Recent Apps bug to the attention of the relevant team at Lenovo?

It should be easy to replicate:

• Install a third party Launcher (Nova Launcher, for example)
  • Make it the Default Launcher
  • Turn on Productivity Mode
  • Open a few apps, resize some windows and use the taskbar buttons (Home, Back, Recent Apps) to simulate actual usage (this step may or may not be required to initiate the bug)
  • Turn off Productivity Mode
  • Open a few apps
  • Open Recent Apps, try switching apps, initiating Split Screen mode etc.

Options

2 Posts

01-25-2021

China

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 5 of 8

2021-01-25, 9:43 AM

Dear MattyS:

This is a very good question and it is very professional. In the case of the third-party launcher, our R&D engineers and product engineers have had a lot of internal discussions.

Generally, the launcher downloaded in the play store only supports mobile phones and is not compatible with tablets. In addition, in the productivity mode, the launcher needs to be deeply customized at the code level. Currently, only Lenovo’s launcher is conditionally customized.Productivity mode is an ecosystem that requires launcher developers to develop applications according to Google's definition. This is a lot of work for three-party launcher developers. There are currently no launcher developers work for it in this industry.

As Lenovo, we still have not given up on this use case, we are still working hard to find a better solution internally. If you have good suggestions, you can contact me directly, here is my email: [chengtao@lenovo.com].

BR/CT

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-01-29, 3:38 AM

Thank you for your response codingmaster

My main concern is that the user is not alerted to this issue. No warning is given as to the lack of compatibility between Productivity Mode and third party Launchers.

Perhaps disable the ability to use Productivity Mode when a third party Launcher is set as the default Launcher. Secondary user accounts are not able to use Productivity Mode and the Recents screen works as expected. I also note that the Recents screen works when no default Launcher is set - this is not a practical solution, just something I noticed.

Samsung DeX appears to make a device enter into some sort of soft reboot/refresh when switched on. Maybe this is why there doesn’t appear to be issues with DeX and third party Launchers. I am unable to verify if this is true though.

Another option would be to add a few more features to the Smart Launcher. Personally, I miss:

• Being able to change the icon theme (to circles, for example)
  • The ability to swipe down anywhere on the home screen to access notifications/quick settings. This fits well with being able to swipe up from anywhere to enter the app drawer.
  • Locking the home screen grid to prevent accidental moving of widgets, apps etc. I like the way Nova Launcher handles this – it requires the user to long press and then confirm if they wish to allow movement.
  • Being able to hide certain apps in the app drawer. Some apps install secondary applications that provide no distinct functionality when launched. Examples are AnTuTu 3DBench, Macrodroid Helper, Web Alert expansion pack, various donation type package apps etc.
  • Allowing for a few more app drawer/home screen layouts. A 7 x 6 option would be nice, for example.

The above options could be hidden behind an “advanced options” section, if you think less technical users may become confused.

I will email you a copy of what I’ve written here.

Thank you again.

Options

2 Posts

01-25-2021

China

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-02-02, 2:41 AM

Thank you for your suggestion.

We analyzed Samsung DeX and found that it and us have adopted different implementation methods. Samsung DeX's normal mode and productivity mode are separate launchers. Maybe we can try to learn Samsung Dex and disable the third party launcher in the productivity mode .

BR

Options

44 Posts

12-10-2020

Australia

34 Signins

330 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-04-08, 7:12 AM

@codingmaster

Hi codingmaster

I've recently purchased a Tab P11 (non pro) and have discovered that, on the P11, Productivity Mode does not break Third Party Launchers!? The only difference I can see between the P11 and P11 Pro's version of Productivity Mode is that the P11 Pro does not allow apps to be viewed in split screen mode when Productivity Mode is on, whereas the P11 does.

This discovery gives me some hope that the P11 Pro can support Third Party Launchers, if it can be tweaked to copy the (almost identical) Productivity Mode found on the P11?

Thank you again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms