Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

19 Posts

12-24-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

204 Page Views

• Views: 204
  • Message 1 of 5

Two Contacts Apps? Lenovo Tab M8 FHD

2021-02-03, 21:12 PM

Purchased a new Lenovo Tab M8 FHD tablet (TB-8705F) in Oct. 2020 with Android 9. The tablet has 2 Contacts apps. One app is the stock Google app. The other app is a mystery of why it's installed, where it came from, and who the company is. The Google app is in my Google Play store list of installed apps, but the mystery app isn't on that list. In Android [Settings] for the mystery app the only identifying information is "version 1.7.10". The screenshot shows the mystery app on the left and the Google app on the right. Any help for identifying the mystery app is appreciated. Thanks.

Mystery Contacts on Left

Answer
Options

19 Posts

12-24-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

204 Page Views

Re:Two Contacts Apps? Lenovo Tab M8 FHD

2021-02-13, 18:37 PM

Adriel,

Regarding your suggestions, here's what I did and found out:

The mystery Contacts app couldn't be deleted by any method. Dragging the icon produced only the option to cancel the dragging operation; in Settings>Apps there was no option for deleting; and the app was not listed in the Google Play Store (hence no uninstall option there).

I performed a pure factory reset, which means I declined the option to automatically import any backed up apps, settings, and data from any source. This resulted in a perfectly clean Android 10 install with only the default apps and settings included by Lenovo. I found that the mystery Contacts app was installed by default but the Google Contacts app was not. This is the opposite of the stock configuration of the tablet when it was purchased in October 2020 with Android 9. For Android 10, Lenovo replaced the Google Contacts app with the mystery Contacts app.

I discovered that the mystery Contacts app is a Google Chrome system app and can't be deleted (just like the Chrome browser itself). My attempts to stop or disable it in Settings resulted in adverse functionality on other apps. Interestingly, the non-mystery, non-Chrome, Google Contacts app is still available for install from the Google Play Store. After this, I did another clean factory reset for insurance against anything I might have messed up by my experimenting.

Also, FWIW, the original Android 9 worked flawlessly but the Android 10 upgrade about a month ago (and the recent factory reset) is buggy (in keeping with Lenovo's history of questionable proficiency for software "upgrades").

Replies(4)
Options

2344 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

258 Signins

22887 Page Views

• Views: 22887
  • Message 2 of 5

2021-02-03, 21:41 PM

@ vox2 wrote:

Purchased a new Lenovo Tab M8 FHD tablet (TB-8705F) in Oct. 2020 with Android 9. The tablet has 2 Contacts apps. One app is the stock Google app. The other app is a mystery of why it' installed, where it came from, and who the company is. The Google app is in my Google Play store list of installed apps, but the mystery app isn' on that list. In Android [Settings] for the mystery app the only identifying information is "version 1.7.10". The screenshot shows the mystery app on the left and the Google app on the right. Any help for identifying the mystery app is appreciated. Thanks.

Mystery Contacts on Left

Hello @vox2!

Glad to have you here!

Try to check if there's an available update for the Tab M8.

You may check this link to see the steps on how you can successfully update the device.

Let us know what will happen.

Thanks,

Adriel_lenovo
Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

19 Posts

12-24-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-02-04, 0:04 AM

Thank you, Adriel,

I checked for an OTA system update. It says:

"You have the latest version TB-8705F_S300022_201015_BMP".

This was the Android 10 upgrade that occurred about a month ago.

The "mystery app icon" looks like it could representing a partially folded book, and I'm wondering if it could have something to do with Facebook? But I've never installed any Facebook app, I've never used Facebook on any of my devices, and I've never had a Facebook account. However, immediately after the initial setup of this tablet, I found it came preinstalled with some sort of Facebook app stub which couldn't be uninstalled but I disabled it within 1 hour of switching the tablet on for the first time when it still had Android 9. The mystery app has no way to uninstall it --- it can only be forced to stop, which I haven't done. If not something Facebook, could it be something Lenovo? My concern is that this mystery app has access to all of my contacts but I don't know who or what is accessing that information.

Options

2344 Posts

11-04-2019

United States of America

258 Signins

22887 Page Views

• Views: 22887
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-02-04, 20:34 PM

@ vox2 wrote:

Thank you, Adriel,

I checked for an OTA system update. It says:

"You have the latest version TB-8705F_S300022_201015_BMP".

This was the Android 10 upgrade that occurred about a month ago.

The "mystery app icon" looks like it could representing a partially folded book, and I' wondering if it could have something to do with Facebook? But I' never installed any Facebook app, I' never used Facebook on any of my devices, and I' never had a Facebook account. However, immediately after the initial setup of this tablet, I found it came preinstalled with some sort of Facebook app stub which couldn' be uninstalled but I disabled it within 1 hour of switching the tablet on for the first time when it still had Android 9. The mystery app has no way to uninstall it --- it can only be forced to stop, which I haven' done. If not something Facebook, could it be something Lenovo? My concern is that this mystery app has access to all of my contacts but I don' know who or what is accessing that information.

Thanks for the update @vox2!

You may try removing or uninstalling one of those two Contact(s) applications that's on the Tab M8 FHD by pressing and holding the app itself then drag it to the Trash bin icon and release.

This most likely happened after it got updated to Android 10 last month. 

With this, it is also advisable to proceed in performing a factory reset. Make sure to backup the files that you have first as this will erase all data that's stored on the device itself.

You may check page 16 of the Tab M8 FHD's User Guide to see the steps on how to perform a factory reset.

Regards,

Adriel_lenovo

Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Answer
Options

19 Posts

12-24-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

204 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-02-13, 18:37 PM

Adriel,

Regarding your suggestions, here's what I did and found out:

The mystery Contacts app couldn't be deleted by any method. Dragging the icon produced only the option to cancel the dragging operation; in Settings>Apps there was no option for deleting; and the app was not listed in the Google Play Store (hence no uninstall option there).

I performed a pure factory reset, which means I declined the option to automatically import any backed up apps, settings, and data from any source. This resulted in a perfectly clean Android 10 install with only the default apps and settings included by Lenovo. I found that the mystery Contacts app was installed by default but the Google Contacts app was not. This is the opposite of the stock configuration of the tablet when it was purchased in October 2020 with Android 9. For Android 10, Lenovo replaced the Google Contacts app with the mystery Contacts app.

I discovered that the mystery Contacts app is a Google Chrome system app and can't be deleted (just like the Chrome browser itself). My attempts to stop or disable it in Settings resulted in adverse functionality on other apps. Interestingly, the non-mystery, non-Chrome, Google Contacts app is still available for install from the Google Play Store. After this, I did another clean factory reset for insurance against anything I might have messed up by my experimenting.

Also, FWIW, the original Android 9 worked flawlessly but the Android 10 upgrade about a month ago (and the recent factory reset) is buggy (in keeping with Lenovo's history of questionable proficiency for software "upgrades").

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms