Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo TabletsLenovo Android based Tablets and Phablets
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

12-06-2011

maine

26 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 1 of 16

love the K1, opinions on the A1?

2012-03-04, 1:15 AM
I have had a K1 since November. It has been flawless and I love it. MY sons Coby died, the playbook is bad (no aps), should
I get him an A1? In reading reviews I hear there are a lot of complaints about the A1 and reliability. Are they fixed or still very problemmatic?

Let me know. 199 is a good price, but if it is not reliable, is buying one worth the risk. Thanks!
Options

201 Posts

11-08-2011

United States

541 Signins

3542 Page Views

• Views: 3542
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: love the K1, opinions on the A1?

2012-03-04, 3:37 AM
I have had the A1 since mid December, and I love it. I have had no problems. Search through the forum, and you will find many positive comments about the A1. I also sent back a Kyros that died, and have no regrets. The A1 is a solid unit in my opinion.

IdeaPad A1-07
iPhone 3GS
Options

63 Posts

01-14-2012

brooklyn, ny

855 Signins

1780 Page Views

• Views: 1780
  • Message 3 of 16

2012-03-04, 5:43 AM
i love my A1, no problems here. bought it over the kindle, and no regrets...
Options

167 Posts

11-26-2011

Bay Area

241 Signins

2309 Page Views

• Views: 2309
  • Message 4 of 16

2012-03-04, 7:16 AM
I own a K1 now.... but had an A1 which I returned. I would be happy to share my evaluation of the A1 with other users here.

Had to purchase this tablet based only on reviews and sight unseen. The retailer did not have a demo on display for me to play with before purchase. This tablet is built very well, solid construction and looks like it will be durable in the long term. It's sleek, weighs less than a pound and is easy to hold. I'd recommend buying a sleeve or some type of cover/case for it. A screen protector does not appear to be needed. The display is remarkably clear and bright. Text is sharp and web browsing is pretty speedy.

The Android OS is somewhat less intuitive than any apple product. While I am NOT directly comparing the A1 to an iPad, I was still looking for some of the usability conveniences offered in iOS software. Example, double tapping at the end of a typed sentence to get a period, and the ability to swipe and delete emails. You won't find these features here.

Others have covered what they believe are the A1's strengths. I think these can be based largely on how you intend to use the tablet. Email/Web, Reading, Entertainment/Media Consumption. I'll let you decide.

My intended use was Email/Web and Media Consumption. I was hoping to strike a balance that might allow me to leave my laptop at home when I went on short trips, and something that I could watch a movie on in an airport or on the plane if I didn't like what was playing. I also wanted to be able to share pictures casually with those around me.

The A1 had no problem meeting my needs for email and web browsing. Works great for this. Unfortunately, that's where it ends. The A1 tablet is unable to deliver an acceptable level of entertainment from a media consumption standpoint. Specifically with movies and pictures.

Streaming movies from Amazon was horrible. Playing movies stored directly on the device was equally as bad. The limitations of the tablet's single core processor become immediately apparent. I then tried the included mSpot Movies 2 app included on the tablet. Same result, movies which look fuzzy, and play with glitches. Doesn't matter if you stream or play directly from the device, it fails to deliver period.

I passed on the Kindle Fire because it is basically an Amazon only device, limited to Wi-Fi only streaming unless you own the movie you want to watch.

Pictures. Many of my pictures are 5mb or more and extremely hi-res. They look like crap on the A1. The pictures are blurry and grainy at any resolution or size. The A1 doesn't even do as well as a 1st generation iPhone. This was another huge disappointment.

If you like to read books and magazines, the A1 has got you covered. Kindle Reader by Amazon and an Android Books app are both included. Both work well and allow you to navigate and read text which is bright and clear.

Bottom Line: This tablet is already at its end of life from a technology standpoint. The performance of it's single core processor (or LACK of) is immediately apparent. How it can receive so many favorable reviews here and elsewhere is beyond me. N band wireless is 2.4Ghz only. A 5Ghz N radio would have been nice. This feature could be overlooked, if the A1 could display pictures and play movies respectably. It doesn't and it can't. I also found that the A1's front facing camera doesn't support Skype video chat. Am I somehow suppose to convince everyone I know to adopt another video chat client. Fail after fail. Beautiful device, I wanted to love it, but I can't.

It's a good attempt at taking on the Kindle Fire, B&N Nook, and Samsung Galaxy, but fails to deliver in several areas making it an incomplete solution for anything more than simple email and web browsing. Granted the others have short comings as well. The A1 absolutely does not meet the minimum requirements as a "media consumption device" in my opinion. I'd like to keep it, but can see that in less than 6 months I'd be wishing I had something else. Since email and web browsing can be performed on my phone, I'm returning the A1. I would not recommend purchasing this product. Follow up: Product returned. Ordered the K1!

Obviously the skype issue has been fixed, but movies and pictures on the A1 are just unacceptable.
Thanks,
Ricochet
The K1_Was Just A Broken Promise Lenovo
Options

63 Posts

01-14-2012

brooklyn, ny

855 Signins

1780 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2012-03-04, 15:16 PM
altho my A1 occasionally feels sluggish, i have no problem:
streaming netflix movies.
watching videos (all mp4s) i encoded in quicktime on my mac.
photos look fine here, i imported them from iPhoto.

my iPhone doesn't do 5ghz wifi either; 2.4 works fine at home for me.

i use my A1 as a: notebook (simplenote, synced to my mac & iPhone), for the web, email, kindle books, movies. and am enjoying the hell out of it.
Options

218 Posts

09-17-2009

Toronto

1048 Signins

2890 Page Views

• Views: 2890
  • Message 6 of 16

2012-03-04, 22:53 PM
I don't think (whatever) tablets are that useful! the tablet is just toy.
so go with A1, or find some new comers even cheaper.
Options

63 Posts

01-14-2012

brooklyn, ny

855 Signins

1780 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2012-03-04, 23:21 PM
not useful? i've traded paper notebooks for mine, a HUGE change in my workflow...AND my notes are sync'd with my other devices. plus, web browsing, email...much better on the A1 then my iPhone (not to mention watching a movie, reading a book)...
Options

53 Posts

12-16-2011

Florida

988 Signins

7195 Page Views

• Views: 7195
  • Message 8 of 16

2012-03-05, 0:32 AM

wrote:
I don't think (whatever) tablets are that useful! the tablet is just toy.
so go with A1, or find some new comers even cheaper.

I bought the A1 as a toy, so there was no disappointment for me... but... I do find it useful.  I have a few apps (to-do list, appointments, a stock market widget for the home page), and a few logic puzzles to make wasting time feel like fun. :)

Options

54 Posts

11-17-2011

Illinois

517 Signins

2007 Page Views

• Views: 2007
  • Message 9 of 16

2012-03-05, 1:45 AM

I use mine for Grocery IQ to make my lists and it automatically syncs with my iPod to take to the store. I will figure out how to put a movie on one day.

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 10 of 16

2012-03-05, 2:54 AM
Oh, good, I knew you'd like Grocery IQ! :-)

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms