Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marekjk1
Punch Card
Views: 1,460
Message 21 of 44

Re: 829 update now available

Mark_Lenovo,

I guess I am a little frustrated with my Lenovo tablet.  And while I understand this is a first generation product I feel that the issues with this device go beyond just "quirks".  To me a quirk would be an occational force close or a frozen operating system once in a while.  When something randomly restarts 5 -10 times a day, refuses to wake half the time, and has an update that destroys more than half of my apps while simultaneously reinstalling all of the bloatware which I have previously removed we go leaps and bounds past quirks.  It goes to a point where it is nearly unuseable.  

I honestly feel that the folks on the development team should focus less on trying to make modifications to the OS or apps but instead to make Android stable.  There is something that your folks are doing to Android that is making it unstable.  My brother has a tablet made by one of your main competitors and has none of these issues.  In addition, I have read countless reviews on other Andoid tablets and for the most part it seems that they are stable while the reviews on the K1 seem to go hand in hand with my experiences.

Danny_G
Punch Card
Views: 1,455
Message 22 of 44

I agree, lenovo should not try to reinvent the wheel and focus on the design of the hardware and apply the stable version of android to it.
Former Administrator
Views: 1,450
Message 23 of 44

Thanks guys,

I've been using the K1 for about a week and had updated from 0620 to 0725 myself.  I've not experienced any of the random reboots that some have reported but it does seem to take a couple of retries sometimes to get it to wake up.  I set my time out to 30 mins to decrease this.

Even standing next to my Linksys Wifi / router at home I was only getting "fair" network connection...

Today, I updated to 0829.  I think the process could have been made smoother as the download completed but there was no notification and prompt to turn off the system.  When I powered down and restarted, I got the expected white text on black screen for a few secs but then got an android with the bang (!) on it's chest and I had to power off and try again.

My update failed twice, but the third time was the charm and I got the android with spinning gears on it's chest and I just left it alone to work.  After it restarted, I confirmed I was at 0829.  I also did a data reset which wiped my system as I wanted to clear up a couple of other things (which it did).  Now, with 0829, I have excellent wifi signal strength and it seems to be running a bit faster (subjectively) for me.

I appreciate the continued feedback on your expeirences with this tablet vs others that you or friends and family have.  With your help, I'm sure we can continue to improve. 

Best regards,

Mark

KarlW
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,445
Message 24 of 44

Updated to 0829 yesterday and after the first bumpy restart all seems to be working fine. All apps seem in working order, wifi signal strength (mentioned as problem on different thread) is improved quite a bit. Haven't experienced the random shutdown/rebooting as before, so I'm pretty pleased with the update.

jasoneisert
Punch Card
Views: 1,430
Message 25 of 44

This overlay issue really needs to be addressed in the next update. The bottom navigation is causing issues with some apps. The chat icon in the center really suits no purpose for me as well. By reading some posts it looks like there are other users that do not care for it. Maybe the solution would be a toggle in settings to add or remove it. When the default bottom navigation was in place this was a non issue.
Former Administrator
Views: 1,421
Message 26 of 44

Jason,

At the risk of sounding completely obtuse, could you explain a bit more about "bottom navigation" and the overlay?

Are you talking about the 4 panel launcher in the middle of the screen and the waffle looking icon in the center at the bottom of the screen and brings up a wheel of applications?

I appreciate your sharing extra details so we can be clear in our feedback to the development teams.

Thanks much!

Mark

jasoneisert
Punch Card
Views: 1,415
Message 27 of 44

No problem Mark.

Maybe it is called the Status or System Bar.   Where the white home , back , task manager and waffle looking icons are located.  These icons are also now all white were they used to be the standard honeycomb icons.  This entire bar now interferes with some applications.  One applications for instance it Spotify.  When the player is hidden there is an up arrow that is half visible since Lenovo has redesigned this status bar area.

why_14
Punch Card
Views: 1,390
Message 28 of 44

I've found that almost all the Lenovo preinstalled apps will have the force close issue. I've uninstalled most of them and replaced with ones from the Android marketplace. There were a few apps that were not free, which was a bummer. Besides that issue, this update seems to be more battery efficient. No random reboots, however it did hang twice which was about the same as before. I suspect it is due to certain apps, will have to do more tests. Seems faster but that could be a placebo effect. Btw I'm still using the adw launcher.... Mark, it'll be tough to expect users to restore to defaults. It takes a lot of time to set everything up, accounts, emails, preferences,etc
jwardmobile
Paper Tape
Views: 1,367
Message 29 of 44

Mark, all,

Firstly, appreciate the updates and Lenovo sticking to the product.  As I've mentioned separately, I live in Singapore and purchased my K1 here on launch day.  I too received an update, but mine ends in:

110822_SG

I wonder what the difference is between  822 and 829??  Any ideas?  In any event, I still seem to have the weak wifi "catching" issue whereby my meter is still only 75% or so even when sitting next to the router.  Weird.  More troublesome, I've had to reinstall most of my apps.  Pain in the butt... 

Additional question:  Anyone know the order by which files are saved in the folders?   Seems strange question, but my pics are not in alphabetical order and I want to put an opening pic in each folder kind of like a folder graphic rather than just seeing one of the picture in seemingly random order.

Jarrod

Japple
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,320
Message 30 of 44

Yes, I just discovered I have the same problem an hour ago.  I have the 829 you mentioned but do not recall updating it manually.   I try to do a factory reset but it will not let me enter my password.

I uninstalled all my downloaded apps (which is only a handful) thinking they may be the culprit.

I can still surf the web but all other apps are inoperable.

The error message I get are various : Force close all the applications.   But the only

regular pop up message is this:

"The application Lenovo IME (process.com.hanwang.inputmethod.u1) has stopped unexpectedly.

Please try again."

I think I have a more serious problem.

What is the solution to this problem?  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors