Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 77,401
Message 1 of 133

Android update roadmaps for Lenovo tablets and phones

All,

We have had many discussions in the forum over time about whether a particular tablet or phone will get the next Android update Ice Cream Sandwich -> JellyBean -> KitKat, etc, etc.   We have pursued answers and shared information as we could, and when we were confident that the plan / decision was final.

We have been working with our product teams to get all the plans - whether or not there will be an update, what it will be and when, into a single matrix doccument on our support site.

Here is the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht101396

I view this as a step forward, but not the final way we should display this information.   I hope we will continue to evolve to something that is available at the individual product level (it is on the product & parts page on esupport today) and easy to find and understand, as well as a broader view across all the products.

I also hope we can continue to listen to feedback and develop upgrade paths for more products going forward.

manuelchef89
Punch Card
Views: 77,220
Message 2 of 133

Re: Android update roadmaps for Lenovo tablets and phones

This report should be released 9 months ago, this means my yoga 10 WiFi must have to wait 9 month to fix the problema con KitKat, just like a inception, still waiting the official lenovo report about the bugs on this😐
n2ubp
802.11n
Views: 77,207
Message 3 of 133

Thanks for the "roadmap". First correction is for the A2109. It came with Ice Cream Sandwich and updates using the standard built in Lenovo update procedure to JellyBean, which is running on one of three A2109's in my home.
Former Administrator
Views: 77,186
Message 4 of 133

n2ubp,

Thanks for the feedback.  Perhaps a publishing error - this should have been audited, so we will review.  Appreciate the note on the A2109.

For clarification, this is intended only to communicate plans for major version changes of Android, not incremental bug fixes and enhancements delivered via OTA.

I would like to see a list of OTA releases for each product so you can see the history and what bugs are fixed and what image version numbers are out there.   A next step would be able to communicate the next planned OTA in advance of it releasing.   No doubt, we can improve here and I hope we will continue to do so.

Mark

harry66
SCSI Port
Views: 77,041
Message 5 of 133

I dont understand how you can

a) call this a 'Roadmap'

b) say that the intention of it is to 'communicate plans for major version changes'

Roadmaps are usually a tool for laying out future plans and intended directions for a product or products.

All that link does is confirm what you have already done - all the dates are in the past!. Nothing on there shows any (future) plans - other than to confirm that you don't plan to upgrade products beyond the current versions you have already released.

I suppose the only use of that link is to confirm for customer who may have been holding out the hope for a version upgrade, that it isn't going to happen.

abhowitzer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 76,826
Message 6 of 133

So wait, you guys are not going to update -any- tablets to Lollipop? None, nada, zero?

Former Administrator
Views: 76,657
Message 7 of 133

Harry,

I agree with your points.  This is indeed a first step to work with our Mobile product teams and be able to doccument what upgrades have been available or if there was a decision not to upgrade the version (apart from fixes).   We have had a lot of discussions in the forum asking about updates for various devices, and apart from some proactive marketing efforts for products where there was an update (to Kit Kat for example) at the time of the release, we have not had an official doccument to point customers to.

So, the first step was to doccument what is.   Next steps, are to make this more of a living doccument - and as you note, a roadmap is what is planned ahead, not just where you have been.

abhowitzer,

I would not draw that conclusion.  It is still early for Lolipop.   This is more of a historic view from Gingerbread through KitKat.

Thanks for your continued feedback.

Mark

harry66
SCSI Port
Views: 76,512
Message 8 of 133

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and the clarification. We live in hope!

Cheers!

accjon101
Punch Card
Views: 76,134
Message 9 of 133

thanks admin for the post. but as I have observed in the versions, mine was different. for example, the ideatab a3000 posted was version 4.1, mine was 4.2. since there are no support for upgrades in the OS, i guess this will be the last products (including my phone) i will be having from lenovo. thank you again

hamza87
Paper Tape
Views: 75,824
Message 10 of 133

Hi Admin,

I have bought the Lenovo Tab S8-50 which is a recent tablet made by Lenovo, and I don't find it on the roadmap. I'm concerned and a bit scared about the fact that my tablet is really recent (september 2014 I guess), it should get Android 5 at least in my opinion. I really hope Lenovo is doing what they can not to let us down on this.

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors