Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Shearwater
Paper Tape
Views: 121
Message 1 of 3

Changing an SD card when the current SD Card has been setup as Internal Memory

Hi

I have a Lenovo Tablet TB-X103F with Android 7.0 & I setup the 32gb SD card as internal memory, however, I want to replace that SD card with a 64gb card. I have done this with a Moto G4 phone, but had to factory reset the phone & then setup the new SD card as Internal Memory, consequently, it took a great deal of time to reinstall the Apps, etc. Is it possible to replace the card in my tablet without factory resetting?

Cheers

Bob

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 74
Message 2 of 3

Re: Changing an SD card when the current SD Card has been setup as Internal Memory

I waited a few days thinking somebody with experience might answer you.  My guess would be no way around a factory reset.  Even in the good old days of non-encrypted App2SD with Android Gingerbread it would be a problem to try to jack in another microSD while a lot of apps were installed on the external card.  Now since Android 6 / M the ability to install apps requires complete, unique encryption of the microSD to match that device's unique internal storage encryption.  So not only to you have files and settings smeared all over the combined storage, but it's unreadably encrypted for any new microSD you might want to use.  (While I used unencrypted App2SD on Android 2.3 and currently on an Android 5.1 / L phone, my trial of the new encrypted mode since Marshmallow was lousy, I've avoided it, and plan to keep buying enough ordinary internal storage for all apps, installing microSD as ordinary portable storage.)

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US)
Shearwater
Paper Tape
Views: 48
Message 3 of 3

Re: Changing an SD card when the current SD Card has been setup as Internal Memory

I2k4

Thanks: not the reply I wanted, however, it was the reply I was expecting!

Cheers

Bob

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors