Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manoj5159
What's DOS?
Views: 2,140
Message 1 of 8

File manager app popping many ads in a new tablet

I bought a new tablet lenovo tab4, while accessing file manager it is throwing too many ads which is kind of no sense. I think default apps will be ads free

PtrK
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,078
Message 2 of 8

Re: File manager app popping many ads in a new tablet

This stock file manager is a disaster, I had the same experience on my tab 4 8 plus. Stopped using it after 2 days, installed Amaze from f- droid. Working fine three months now.

PtrK

tb-8704x

Talos63
Paper Tape
Views: 2,058
Message 3 of 8

I'm appalled that a company would turn a program that is integral to advanced device management into a paid app and fill it with ads!!! It's impossible to do anything in File Manager without stirring an advertisement which, after you get rid of the thing, takes you back to file manager and hasn't done what you wanted in the first place!!!

Lenovo, you should be ASHAMED of yourself for this stunt. It's insulting to your customers, and throws your product out of the serious product range and into the toy category.

I will NOT be paying your blackmail charge to get a usable program! If I had known about this prior to purchase, I would have bought another brand. 

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 2,052
Message 4 of 8

You know, these preinstalled OEM utility apps are generally a nuisance whether ad-free or not:  who wants a "learning curve" for routine operations every time you buy a new device?  I uninstalled or deleted all the Lenovo preinstalled apps Day 1 without looking at them (except for the Dolby sound adjustment) and with no negative effects, and installed my own favorites.  They include a file manager and a reliable launcher for a uniform interface across three brands of devices, to save time and frustration.  Whether free or paid through the Play Store, third party apps can be installed and follow you year after year when you know them and like them.  The Tab4 8 has been excellent so far - rejecting a fine tablet at a good price, for something as completely trivial as a throwaway app, would be throwing out the baby because of its bathwater.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Talos63
Paper Tape
Views: 2,041
Message 5 of 8

Apples and oranges I guess. I like to be able to use a device straight out of the box and without further expense. 

The reason for my post was not that I didn't like File Manager, (which has been preinstalled on every Android device I've ever used, AND without advertising) it's the fact that they have flooded the program with ads. 

So now I have a 'learning curve' with a new program becaus Lenovo monetized the program, rendering it as good as useless and utterly infuriating...

Brianwebb2426
What's DOS?
Views: 734
Message 6 of 8

I too got fed up with these popups in file manager. I think I have a solution.

Download ES File Explorer, open and then open the APP link.

I then dragged the File Manager app down to "uninstall".

This is not allowed as File Manager is permanently installed but it gives you the option to reset to Factory Setting.

This has given me back File Manager without popups.

I will not be updating File Manager again as it will probably bring back ads.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 719
Message 7 of 8

I just disabled File Manager in the ordinary way in Settings, like other preinstalled stuff, but users here have reported some regional version differences in how bloatware is treated or protected.  Luck of the draw.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Talos63
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 8 of 8

@Brianwebb2426 wrote:

I too got fed up with these popups in file manager. I think I have a solution.

Download ES File Explorer, open and then open the APP link.

I then dragged the File Manager app down to "uninstall".

This is not allowed as File Manager is permanently installed but it gives you the option to reset to Factory Setting.

This has given me back File Manager without popups.

I will not be updating File Manager again as it will probably bring back ads.

That worked for me too, thank you. I'm in Australia, in case anyone is wondering about geographical differences  in preinstalled software.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors