cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 58,597
Message 11 of 61

Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F How to downgrade from buggy Lollipop to KitKat 4.4 and root

Mod's Comment:  This message was created in order to give lee2006 credit for his posting and so that his solution can be found easier in forum searches.

Thanks lee2006 !

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Highlighted
lee2006
Fanfold Paper
Views: 59,608
Message 1 of 61

Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F How to downgrade from buggy Lollipop to KitKat 4.4 and root

Before I upgraded it from Kitkat to Lollipop I thought latest updates could fix the many Lollipop issues reported in this forum. I was wrong! Not to mention as of today, 17 Oct 2015, the Lollipop can’t be rooted.

Returning the tablet back to seller (Amazon UK) should be easy but I think the tablet itself is brilliant and I DO want to keep it. I fell in love with it when I started using it with KitKat.

So I searched and found the factory firmware A10-70F_S000021_150501_ROW (credit Ondigo at XDA Developers http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/help/lenovo-tab-2-a10-70f-root-t3122226/post62449690)

Original WORKING download link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=307B15D644424044!4913&authkey=!AK86NqBHX-VBxvY&ithint=file%2c7...

Mirror: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5OHp776wVlRmZvTFZ4ekR0MDg/view?usp=sharing

Step 1,

Download the factory firmware, links above. Extract.

Step 2,

Download Smart Phone Flash Tool (SP Flash Tool) here and extract.

http://androidxda.com/smart-phone-flash-tool

Step 3,

Install http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html (Windows)

Step 4,

Backup your files on the tablet, music, video, photos etc

Step 5,

Power off the tablet and run flash_tool.exe in the extracted SP flash tool folder. Select the MT6752_Android_scatter.txt file. The flash tool will start to checksum and ready to flash. There are 3 options: Download only (default), Format all + Download, Firmware Update.  Click the Download Only button with a green down arrow.

Don't use Format all!

Use "Download only" instead!

You will get the nvram error if you use "Format all" and don't have a backup of the nvram partition from before.

There will be no possibility to get the lost information completely back

When it finishes, disconnect the USB cable and power on the tablet.

There was another update afterwards. The latest Kitkat version is A10-70F_20150626 (A10-70F_S000022_150626_ROW).

DO NOT UPGRADE to A10-70F_S000118_150710_ROW which is Lollipop!

Step 6, Rooting. Your warranty may be void. Do it at your own risk. But you can always roll back to Kitkat can’t you?

Go to www.kingroot.net on the tablet. Download the app and install it. It will root KitKat but not Lollipop.

Hope it helps some users like me who love the tablet but hate the buggy Lollipop Smiley Happy

Mod's Edit: Added edited corrections per OP's request.

peyob
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59,483
Message 2 of 61

Re: Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F How to downgrade from buggy Lollipop to KitKat 4.4 and root

Good Job.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Jklhill
Punch Card
Views: 59,442
Message 3 of 61

Re: Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F How to downgrade from buggy Lollipop to KitKat 4.4 and root

Thanks lee2006. Can you tell me how do we stop our tablets from updating to lollipop? I read here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Android-based-Tablets/LENOVO-TAB-2-A10-70-lollipop-issues-report... that updates are happening in the background without the owners consent. I am still on KitKat but not rooted.

lee2006
Fanfold Paper
Views: 59,392
Message 4 of 61

My tablet doesn't update itself unless I choose to. In fact, it doesn't even download the Lollipop if I ignore the update reminder. Not sure if this is true for other regions.

Jklhill
Punch Card
Views: 59,381
Message 5 of 61

@lee2006 wrote:

My tablet doesn't update itself unless I choose to. In fact, it doesn't even download the Lollipop if I ignore the update reminder. Not sure if this is true for other regions.

Thanks!

Kjk43
What's DOS?
Views: 58,999
Message 6 of 61

Sorry, but I'm not a tech person at all. Can you explain what I'd be downloading/installing in steps 1-3? Also, does this process involve another device or computer? I see you mention a USB cable which is why II am confused.I don't have another device or computer, so does that mean I can't get KitKat back this way?

lee2006
Fanfold Paper
Views: 58,993
Message 7 of 61

Yes, you will need a Windows computer, unfortunately. Someone kindly wrote better instructions that may help:

http://www.boinctech.com/post/Lenovo-Tab-2-A10-AVOID-LOLLIPOP-and-how-to-go-back-to-KitKat
Kelgam
What's DOS?
Views: 58,991
Message 8 of 61

I also hate the lollipop update as it is bloody awful compared to KitKat, but I have no idea how to go back to KitKat as I have no idea on how to do what you said to do as not that savvy, so frustrating as lollipop is rubbish , less screens, pathetic icons for apps less screens.is there an easy way back to KitKat?

klamchop
Fanfold Paper
Views: 58,735
Message 9 of 61

Thanks a LOT @lee2006! Just flashed back to KitKat without any problems! I've been wanting to revert back to kitkat! Really missed that Atmos!

For those who are planning to downgrade...make sure you have the usb drivers installed!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors