Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mammabear9800
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,241
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo TAB 4 8.1 update issue

About 2 hours ago I got the message and prompt for the most recent update for my tablet. I followed the directions as I have done in the past but when the reboot after the install occurred, I got the message: android.process.acore stopped working.  On another forum they indicated Facebook was to blame and another said it was contacts.  The recommendation was to delete Facebook and erase the cache for contacts. I do not have Facebook but I erased the cache on the contacts since I do not use this as a phone and my contacts are backed up already.  I then rebooted.  This stopped the error message but has made it so I cannot swipe down/up to get any of the buttons to close the app I am in nor access the quick buttons on top to turn the wifi on/off as I need to.  I looked in settings/about/updates and it is indicating that I still need to update. So, I am at this moment trying to do the update again.  If this does not work and I do not get a response of help by morning, I plan to do a hard reset.....once I find out how.  Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you!

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 15,203
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo TAB 4 8.1 update issue

Since it seems you haven't actually performed the Oreo upgrade yet, I would first see if a cache wipe solves the current problems with Nougat, see if its in good running order, and only failing that do a hard reset before doing the Oreo upgrade - instructions for both are here (my earlier post on this forum):

https://goo.gl/SVM4JZ

A successful cache wipe should restore good working order on Nougat without affecting the current set up, hard reset is a last resort to "out of the box" status, losing everything you've put into the tablet so far.  I'm not sure if a hard reset to Nougat will immediately restore the Oreo update - it may take some time to reconnect with Lenovo's databases.

My personal experience with the Oreo upgrade on Tab4 8 a couple of days ago was very good, none of my previous configuration or stored data were affected, and it's running well.  Cautions that I'm not sure and haven't heard how well microSD "adoptable storage" (instead of ordinary "portable storage") formatting handles the upgrade, and be sure you have a full battery or hook up to a charger since running below 30% battery will stall the upgrade process.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Mammabear9800
Fanfold Paper
Views: 14,927
Message 3 of 11

I tried all the steps you suggested and in the end a hard reset is what was necessary.  Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry.  Having the steps to do each procedure helped me to be a little more at ease since it wasn't just me guessing as to which one I found on the internet would work on my device.  So far it is working properly.  I really appreciate your time and help.

jac8
Paper Tape
Views: 14,858
Message 4 of 11

I also tried to update but with terrible consequences..... I ended up stuck in the opening screen which has an orange bar with Lenovo written on it. I could not turn it off.  I let the battery run down and tied again - no joy.  So I pressed the power and volume tabs and got the fastboot screen and nothing else....That is also froozen.  So at the moment I can switch between the fastboot and opening screen and nothing else.  It will not talk to my computer via USB cable as it is not open.

What do I do?

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 14,776
Message 5 of 11

You might start a new thread, as this one is marked as a solved problem and readers with knowledge may be skipping it.  Also maybe more detail about where you were in the upgrade process when it went haywire, e.g. was Android 8.1 fully downloaded and rebooting to install?  When did the battery go below 30%, since that stalls the upgrade.  "Fastboot" in my limited experience is a black screen with a little line of text at the bottom, and is not the Recovery Menu - I've seen Fastboot show up if the power/volume press isn't done correctly or is held too long.   

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
pdxbanana
What's DOS?
Views: 12,796
Message 6 of 11

I was unable to download the Oreo (8.1.1) update, so went to forums for help. First thing I learned is that when you power down, and then restart while holding power button and Up volume until Lenovo logo appears, you get a whole other set of functions. This is well known to many power users, but I thought it might come in handy for others. On this menu, controlled with volume and power keys, is the option to reset the cache. I did this, but still could not download the update. I went back into this menu using the above restart procedure, and wiped the TAB 4 8 back to factory default, then restarted. Now the download is proceeding, and hopefully will complete itself. This tablet is not a critical component in my computing, so I was not concerned about backup, but if it holds important documents and/or other information, make sure you're backed up before you wipe your machine.

Sunita02
Paper Tape
Views: 11,232
Message 7 of 11

Enhanced LTE or Volte feature disabled by Kenobi now tab 4 8 plus is just garbage in india any one have solution of this 

Or how to rollback nougat.

blas
Paper Tape
Views: 10,393
Message 8 of 11

Same problem exactly

Have you found any answers?

blas
Paper Tape
Views: 10,383
Message 9 of 11

anything new?
echarash
What's DOS?
Views: 6,702
Message 10 of 11

Hello!

I am having similar problems with my tablet. I have tried wiping the cache, and it still pops up with the soft reboot each time. Should I be doing the hard factory reset or is there something that can be done on the customer service end from Lenovo?

Many thanks,

elizabeth

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors