Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LinuxRoach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 940
Message 141 of 157

Re: Lenovo TAB3 Business TB3-X70F TWRP down

I had been having troubles, so went down the TWRP route so I could solve the issues so I could get root access and remove the offending apps which were causing issues. The Lenovo site told me it wasn't the "plus", and you would expect that to be more accurate than a label on a box.

Bottom line is that I've recovered many a tablet and phone, from Samsung to Huawei to OnePlus to generic Chinese "brands" and have NEVER had this issue with the touch screen being disabled. That doesn't even happen with a poor manufacturer like Archos, so the automatic assumption is that this is something done by Lenovo to prevent anyone from "tinkering", or even recovering properly. Also, as said, this flash was done using Lenovo software and firmware downloaded from Lenovo and not something found on a third party site or a third party flashtool. 

Now, when you use OFFICIAL software, etc, following the instructions given by the manufacturer, then everything should be set back to 100% functional factory condition, as if you had just bought the device. It has not done so. So now I have to go through the whole rigmarole AGAIN to try and get a properly functioning tablet, when the LMSA "rescue" should have solved the issue and given me the required functionality.

That's a Lenovo issue, you'll find they have put a hurdle in the way which disables functionality if anyone does something they decide shouldn't happen, for although other manufacturers will give you warnings regarding warranties, etc, the device is never disabled in such a manner, and a little research shows that others using the same Mediatek chipsets don't have this issue, only Lenovo.

So now it's time to try the other methods in this thread, AGAIN, otherwise I have an expensive paperweight.

Mo20
Fanfold Paper
Views: 874
Message 142 of 157

Hello, me again.

I need some help again.
To restore my tablet i bought the same model again and tried to download/isolate the firmware from the device.
I was able to do so following this guide: https://forum.hovatek.com/thread-21970.html

But i did not manage to get the rom (especially the system partition) to the old tablet.

Next thing i tried was to use the twrp recovery img by Tzul to backup the system partition of the new tablet.
So i booted into twrp using "fastboot boot recovery_twrp303[...].img" and made a backup of some partitions to sd card.
To control twrp i used a mouse via usb otg, at sartup of twrp i choose not to modify the system partition.
However after a reboot the touchscreen of the new tablet doesnt work neither.

Does anyone have an idea what to do now?
Or can somone explain what makes twrp disable the touchscreen?

Mo

Highlighted
LinuxRoach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 143 of 157

@Mo20 wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what to do now?
Or can somone explain what makes twrp disable the touchscreen?

Mo

My own view, after more digging, is that the cause is Lenovo deciding that you cannot have control over your device, much as HTC have been known to cripple their devices in the same way as soon as you try to do something they don't agree with. It's not the processor, although there are issues with TWRP on some MT6*** series CPU's, as other tablets with the same CPU can be rooted and TWRP installed without problems. But you are not alone, my 2/32GB Tab 3 10 Plus is a paperweight unless I connect a mouse to it. You can't unpack any official image file with Carliv, I've tried that, and TWRP, no matter what method I try as per what others have done in this thread, will not stay resident. The SPFT will not even flash the OFFICIAL firmware for the tablet, it gives me the same "RAM error" every time and that is after the OEM unlock, "flashing unlock" and even "flashing unlock-critical" which should ensure that everything is fully unlocked. Result? Nada, nothing, a waste of time thanks to the encryption. Locking the bootloader and everything again has no effect, still no touch screen.

I'm at the point of going "format all" to completely erease every partition, as Lenovo have offered me absolutely no help and have not even answered emails so my options are very limited. 

This is shameful from Lenovo, and I should have known better given the reputation they have which is why I now have a better tablet, even though that is a generic Chinese Alldocube model which does not have the Lenovo malware installed which was the reason I wanted to remove programs that were causing issues. I'll keep tinkering purely for the reason that IF I get a solution then I can post it here and help people like yourself with the same issue.

Wish me luck, for Lenovo have proven themslve to be THE worst manufacturer I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, even Samsung offer more help, and that says something.

Shame on you, Lenovo, your after-sales support is disgraceful and, well, I'm making sure your name is mud because your "service" seems to extend to only making money from the consumer and offering NOTHING in return.

KamilMetze
Paper Tape
Views: 689
Message 144 of 157

I registered just for this thread. Thanks to all particpants!

I was in the same boat as several others here; I flashed the wrong recovery to my device. What I thought would be a 15-minute-job turned in to many hours. But in the end I worked it out Smiley Happy In no small part cause I could re-trace the steps you all documented here.

The winning recipe for me was:

1. Flash device with TB3_X70F_S000028_180108_ROW_DCC using Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant v4.1.0.8.
  2. Boot to OS to enable bootloader unlocking & usb debugging.
  3. Boot to fastboot to unlock the bootloader using ADB
  4. Boot to OS to restore data partition.
  5. Boot to fastboot to load TWRP by using ADB to load recovery_twrp303_TB3-X70F.img
  6. Once TWRP is loaded you can use it to install TWRP and properly muck up your decive with hacks Smiley Very Happy

Note: The Leneovo Assistant recommends TB3_X70F_S000008_180326_ROW_P_DCC for my device. But with that version the touchscreen doesn't respond in TWRP (as other users have also experienced). Using firmware TB3_X70F_S000028_180108_ROW_DCC fixes that issue. I've not experienced any adverse effects from using the 'wrong' firmware.

Ano1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 669
Message 145 of 157

Great to hear!

Actually I flashed recently the "51" hardware version (according to the box I have  a TB3-X70F and according to the sticker on the back it's a "51" hardware version, it says: SN: ........(51). So I guessed this is the original firmware for my tablet.

And, to my surprise, after flashing TWRP by Tzul this time the touch screen was working ok! So it seems I'm back at the orginal firmware and the latest version of the official "51" firmware works well together with TWRP by Tzul.

I noticed one difference: auto-rotation now also works in landscape mode in upside-down position (so 180 deg. turned from 'normal' landscape position).

LinuxRoach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 664
Message 146 of 157

Excellent, nicely done. I never thought of doing that because I assumed the same issue would be across all software versions for the tablet, but she's alive again. Haven't flashed TWRP as I only wanted Magisk on so I could root and remove bloatware and malware (the Lenovo User Experience garbage), so it's rooted and booted and running fine now, just needs some more fine tuning.

Not that I'll use the tablet much, the Alldocube is still better, but having a "spare" is always a handy thing and can always be used as an e-reader.

Cheers for that, KamilMetze, but I do wonder what the hell Lenovo are playing at when what should be, effectively, the same firmware does two different things, especially as my Tab 3 Plus now says it's a "Business" when connected to a Windows PC...

Go figure

KamilMetze
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 147 of 157

@Ano1: That's interesting. My device is also a TB3-X70F hardware version 51 but flashing the 51 firmware caused my touchscreen to not respond. I think it was actually one of your comments that made me try version 11.

@LinuxRoach: You flashed version 11, like I suggested? That's interesting as well; my device on version 11 when connected to a PC says it is a Plus.

LinuxRoach
Fanfold Paper
Views: 642
Message 148 of 157

No, did Version 10 since 10 and 11 both say the same TB3_X70F_S000028_180108_ROW_DCC as you used. Just goes to show what sort of mess the whole Lenovo model system is when the same software gives two different results on the same model of tablet as mine is a "51" as well
Gu4n
Paper Tape
Views: 543
Message 149 of 157

Hi KamilMetze, was your original firmware one of these? 

Lenovo TAB3 10 Plus (TB3-X70F) Plus
    S000003_?
    S000004_?
    S000006_?
    S000007_?
    S000008_?

KamilMetze
Paper Tape
Views: 534
Message 150 of 157

I've no idea. I didn't think, or have a need, to check before I mucked it up Smiley Very Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors