Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pete57
Punch Card
Views: 1,416
Message 41 of 143

Re: Lenovo TAB3 Business TB3-X70F TWRP down

Hi all

After doing a search for "use smart phone flash tool to make backup" I get several articles on how to backup/restore stock ROM. Most are dated 2014, 2015 however even a couple of newer ones from 2016 and 2017 require the use of MTK Droid Root and Tools which to my understanding not compatible with my TB3 X70F plus. Does anyone know of a way to make a backup the stock ROM of  this device?

Ano1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,406
Message 42 of 143

I did that with the SPFlash tool (have a file of 3 GB now), but have not found out yet how to restore it ;-)

Guru
Views: 1,384
Message 43 of 143

Here's my quick SPFT how-to.

You need to set "ShowByScatter=true" in the option.ini file, in order to get a list of all partitions on the Readback tab. The option.ini file can have Unix-style line endings, so use a text editor that can handle those (the standard Windows "Notepad" editor can't).

You also need a scatter file, of course. I attached one here for the TB3-X70F, but it should also work for the TB3-X70L (the only difference is the project name, which is also repeated in the preloader filename, both of which aren't  important).

Due to the way these scatter files work, the userdata partition ("internal storage") does not get listed automatically on the Readback tab, and its size value given in the scatter file is too short (which allows the same scatter file to work with both 16GB and 32GB editions of the tablet). So if you want to make a readback of userdata, you need to add it manually: Region=EMMC_USER, Start Address=0xC4000000 (as given by the scatter file), Length=0x682B80000 (for the 32GB edition, I don't know the correct value for the 16GB one).

Due to the restrictive security settings, making a backup won't do you much good, though. Unless you want to recover data from a non-booting tablet. Because you can't flash the data back, at least not with the SPFT. If the tablet has been unlocked, you can use "fastboot flash", but that will only work for a few specific partitions (boot, recovery, system, cache, userdata, I think - you probably shouldn't mess with the other partitions anyway). Or you can use TWRP if available (Install -> Install Image; but then why don't use TWRP's backup feature in the first place).

Finally, if you use the SPFT to make a readback of the preloader, it will always contain 2048 bytes of "junk" at the beginning, which you should always remove, to avoid inadvertently flashing it back in this invalid state (which this tablet doesn't allow anyway). Use a hex editor or shell tool like "dd" to chop off those bytes. The start of a valid preloader looks like this, with "MMM" at offset 0, "FILE_INFO" at offset 8, and the file size in little endian at offset 32/0x20.

Ano1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,377
Message 44 of 143

Thanks for the extensive info.

As I told in my first post (this has been removed, now that I think of it: maybe posts with links in it are removed? as I put a link to the TB3-X70F_S000025_160527_ROW-signed.7z file in it), after installing TWRP the touchscreen became irresponsive. Then I thought: it would have been nice to have a SP Flash Tool backup to restore it to its original (factory) status. That's why I was wondering how to make a scatter file to restore a backup like that.

Furthermore, after installing TWRP and rooting the tablet it seems that OTA updates (or the dowloaded update files that I tried to install manually from the TWRP interface) could not be installed succesfully. So I went through the process of flashing the ROW file and successive updates, quite time consuming. Then I thought: would be nice to have an backup with the latest firmware installed that I can flash in future.

Anyway, I will study your post in more detail and experiment a bit. Having TWRP and Titanium Pro backups and the firmware files you posted, what could go wrong?! Seems impossible now to brick the tablet [or to restore the original firmware ;-) ].

and installed

pete57
Punch Card
Views: 1,376
Message 45 of 143

LoL, so basically backup but no real way to restore with SPFT on TB3 X70F plus 16 GB. Thanks for the info anyway.

Guru
Views: 1,350
Message 46 of 143

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't found a signed firmware for the TB3-X70F Plus yet.

I just uploaded the latest S000027 for the TB3-X70F Business, though.

Also, if somebody needs NTFS support of SD card or USB-OTG, this patch I made for the Tab 2 A10-70 also works on the TB3-X70. Needs to be installed by TWRP and requires root for writeable NTFS mounts (and it only makes sense for "portable" SD cards; if you adopt them as internal storage, they get reformated and encrypted anyway).

Ano1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,332
Message 47 of 143

@Tzul wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't found a signed firmware for the TB3-X70F Plus yet.

I just uploaded the latest S000027 for the TB3-X70F Business, though.

Great, vielen Dank!

@Tzul wrote:
Also, if somebody needs NTFS support of SD card or USB-OTG, this patch I made for the Tab 2 A10-70 also works on the TB3-X70. Needs to be installed by TWRP and requires root for writeable NTFS mounts (and it only makes sense for "portable" SD cards; if you adopt them as internal storage, they get reformated and encrypted anyway).

However, USB-OTG works fine for my tab running the TB3-X70F_S000025_160527 firmware, without applying any patch.

But I will install the patch anyway to get NTFS support. Because currently I am not able to remove the SD card from the tablet, read/write to it on my Windows computer, and putting it back in the tablet. Because then the tablet does not recognize the SD card correctlt anymore (although it is configured as 'portable storage'). My previous 'China tablet' had no problem with that. Maybe the NTFS solves this problem, we'll see.

haema
Punch Card
Views: 1,318
Message 48 of 143

SPFT ERROR 5054 /read back

Hallo Tzul

Using the scatterfile you provided I get Error 5054 after 8 seconds of readback with the latest SPF TOOL .My device Tb3 x70f plus (16GB)

I still don't dare to use coderonnies approach for flashing and rooting and would like a backup before that.

Any suggestions for the inexperienced?

Haema

haema
Punch Card
Views: 1,284
Message 49 of 143

@Tzul wrote:

Here's my quick SPFT how-to.

You need to set "ShowByScatter=true" in the option.ini file, in order to get a list of all partitions on the Readback tab. The option.ini file can have Unix-style line endings, so use a text editor that can handle those (the standard Windows "Notepad" editor can't).

You also need a scatter file, of course. I attached one here for the TB3-X70F, but it should also work for the TB3-X70L (the only difference is the project name, which is also repeated in the preloader filename, both of which aren't  important).

Due to the way these scatter files work, the userdata partition ("internal storage") does not get listed automatically on the Readback tab, and its size value given in the scatter file is too short (which allows the same scatter file to work with both 16GB and 32GB editions of the tablet). So if you want to make a readback of userdata, you need to add it manually: Region=EMMC_USER, Start Address=0xC4000000 (as given by the scatter file), Length=0x682B80000 (for the 32GB edition, I don't know the correct value for the 16GB one).

Due to the restrictive security settings, making a backup won't do you much good, though. Unless you want to recover data from a non-booting tablet. Because you can't flash the data back, at least not with the SPFT. If the tablet has been unlocked, you can use "fastboot flash", but that will only work for a few specific partitions (boot, recovery, system, cache, userdata, I think - you probably shouldn't mess with the other partitions anyway). Or you can use TWRP if available (Install -> Install Image; but then why don't use TWRP's backup feature in the first place).

Finally, if you use the SPFT to make a readback of the preloader, it will always contain 2048 bytes of "junk" at the beginning, which you should always remove, to avoid inadvertently flashing it back in this invalid state (which this tablet doesn't allow anyway). Use a hex editor or shell tool like "dd" to chop off those bytes. The start of a valid preloader looks like this, with "MMM" at offset 0, "FILE_INFO" at offset 8, and the file size in little endian at offset 32/0x20.

SPF readback problem with tb3 plus 16gb

Now I noticed that a "valid preloader must be in the same directory as the scatter file". I took a preloaded....bin file from the tb3-x70f_s000025....27.row directory. Now readback did work. But I think that the result is of no use ,because of the wrong preloaded.bin file.

Any suggestions or are you fed up with all the amateurs?

Anywhy thank you

Haema

Guru
Views: 1,277
Message 50 of 143

Sorry, I couldn't reply earlier.

Normally, you can just load a scatter file and then do a readback. But because of the security settings on these tablets, it's a bit more complicated.

First, you have to make sure that a suitable preloader gets automatically loaded and assigned to the preloader row on the SPFT's Download tab. That means the scatter file must be in the same folder as the preloader, and the preloader must have the proper filename as given inside the scatter file ("preloader_hq8735_6ttb_b2b_m.bin" for the TB3-X70F Business).

Second, you need to press and hold the volume-up key on the tablet before connecting USB (you can release the key a second or two after connecting USB).

This way, the special transfer mode for secure devices is initiated. The SPFT should send the auto-loaded preloader to the tablet (it's not flashed, just temporarily stored in RAM), and if the preloader has the correct signature, it is executed and then handles the download or readback.

Unfortunately, I don't have a preloader for the TB3-X70F Plus, but the one for the TB3-X70F Business might work. If not, we could try the one from the TB3-X70L Plus.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors