cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Santhu1
Paper Tape
Views: 330
Message 1 of 7

Lenovo Tab 4 10 unable to move or copy files to SD Card...

In my Lenovo Tab 4 10 (2Gb/16Gb), when I purchased was with Android Nougat, later updated to Oreo on OTA.

When it was with Nougat, there was no file explorer stock app, but when it updated to Oreo it got to file explorers, CS File explorer and Google files.

I don't like CS File explorer because it is showing an add for each click, so I was using ES file explorer.

Things were ok till I changed the 32 Gb SD Card with 64 Gb SD card, and now I cannot copy or move any files from internal memory to the SD card while I try do it on my tab, but can do when connected to my laptop.

I searched a lot on net, and tried in so many ways to copy or move but failed since weeks.

Strangely while trying, I found a 4th file explorer on the Tab, which is a stock app, but doesn't have an icon in menu, but can access through Settings>Storage. Please understand the Settings is the main Settings of the Tab.

When I go to Settings then to Storage, it opens like a app where we can explore files, where I can Move or Copy files to SD Card and was successful.

Request all to help me to move and copy files to SD Card via an app.

I believe the problem is because of Lenovo company which forces customers with bloatware like CS File explorer, which can not be uninstalled, but can only be disabled.

Why Lenovo forces customers to use such an useless app, which displays a full screen Advertisement for each click while exploring files???

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 304
Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 10 unable to move or copy files to SD Card...

You don't say if you formatted the new 64GB card, or if it was as "Portable" (ordinary) or as "Internal" encrypted to permit overlap with the tablet's internal.  Among other issues, I've found a lot of file managers and other apps have trouble recognizing microSD when it's formatted as "internal" or so-called "adoptable" storage.  That is an Android and app developer problem, not Lenovo's fault.  My microSD is formatted as old-fashioned Portable and there have been no problems using it that way.

In Settings / Storage tapping on the SD card line should open a system file explorer which has very little functionality (not really a "manager") but does allow a user to see and open folders, then images or documents with a choice of installed apps.  See if your new 64GB card appears there and if you can view and open files that way.

Lots of complaints here about the bloatware CS file manager.  I never even opened it, and was able to "disable" it in Settings / Apps and Notifications.  It doesn't remove the 4MB app but it's gone out of the way.  ES File Explorer or any full-featured file manager should do whatever you want (apart from whatever problem it has with the "adoptable" microSD format.)  I uninstalled or disabled all the Lenovo preinstalled software except the Dolby sound app, and most of the Google stuff - and don't miss any of the "Lenovo experience" - not worth wasting energy hating on throwaway stuff.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Santhu1
Paper Tape
Views: 289
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

I explained in my request, but seems that my explanation failed to make you understand.

The 64 Gb memory card is already in the tab, and I am not using it as internal storage because, I can not copy files from my laptop by inserting the SD card in the slot of the laptop, where copying files is more faster.

At the same time while connected the tab to laptop via USB, I can move files from the tab's internal memory to the SD Card which is also sitting in the tab, via the laptop. But when I am trying to move files through the tab itself it is not happening.

One file explorer app can be defective, but how 4 file explorer apps can be defective.

I am blaming Lenovo for not being able to move files. I am blaming Lenovo for forcing us to use bloatware.

Thanks.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 285
Message 4 of 7

I'm not sure you understood. 

If the microSD is formatted as adoptable or "internal" you will never be able to read it directly plugged into the laptop, or anything else.  It is deeply encrypted and can only be read by the tablet, which is supposed to "combine" the real internal storage and the microSD storage.  Mainly this is supposed to permit installing more and larger apps, increasing the "internal" storage by combination with the microSD. 

As I wrote, this false "internal" storage format has never worked well for me:  many apps are not configured to work with it properly, and if the tablet breaks, all the data on the microSD card is unreadable and lost.  As you say, when the microSD is plugged into a laptop card reader it is inaccessible, but when your tablet is connected to the same PC, the microSD becomes readable through the tablet's Android file system.  Within the tablet alone, any file manager would not see a separate microSD but should show the combined larger "internal" storage as the tablet plus microSD - the tablet is reading them as a single unit of storage.  When you install apps from the Play Store or take a photo or download music files the apps and data should be spread across the tablet's real internal and the microSD's virtual internal storage as if they are one.  In practice, because of compatibility problems, it doesn't work so well.

If you reformat the microSD in the tablet as ordinary "Portable" storage, it will be unencrypted and readable in other devices like a laptop in the ordinary way.  On the tablet, most good camera, music, offline mapping and other apps with big data files will be able to read and write the data on microSD even though they are installed in the tablets internal storage.  But you cannot install apps themselves onto the microSD card.  That's what I do - I buy enough regular internal storage for all the apps wanted, but keep the media and data files on microSD.

Again, this is all about what Android (not Lenovo) did to microSD support, almost killing it off in KitKat, and then reviving it because of user demand, with this new complicated and often dysfunctional system in Marshmallow, etc.

Santhu1
Paper Tape
Views: 248
Message 5 of 7

Rally Thanks for your reply.

Please understand, that the SD Card is being used as 'Portable Storage' storage only. Because I too understand and feel like you, that the SD Card can not be used on any other device, if it is selected as internal storage, and I don't want that.

When connected to my laptop, it is separately shown.

What I am telling is the SD Card is in good condition, otherwise I can not copy filels to it when connected to my laptop.

My only problem is I am unable to do copy or move directly on the Tab with any file explorer app.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 242
Message 6 of 7

As portable storage, it is very puzzling.  If you go into Android Settings / Storage / below Internal Storage you should see Portable Storage with the size of your microSD card - if you tap that item, it should show the files on the card? 

From there, can you open documents, image or media files by choosing installed apps?  For example, if I tap a PDF file located on the microSD card from this built-in Settings folder and file display, it will show a choice of PDF viewers which will open the document.

If the microSD works from Android Settings, I don't understand why any capable file manager app would not find, move or delete, or any capable app read and write to the same card.  (I use X-plore by Lonely Cat, since I like a dual pane, but ES file explorer and several others should be just as fully capable.)

PtrK
Blue Screen Again
Views: 217
Message 7 of 7

This is great!!

this settings -->storage --> copy >>paste works also on my tab 8 plus.

thanks a lot!

PtrK

NL

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors