Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Z24
Paper Tape
Views: 347
Message 11 of 19

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 8 Internet issues

How do you connect manualy the device to 2.4 Ghz. 

Thanks

Z24
Paper Tape
Views: 332
Message 12 of 19

No I reset 2 times and no positive result. No support from Lenovo for this problem know since 2018. My last Lenovo product ever.

Markos14
Paper Tape
Views: 125
Message 13 of 19

Purchased in Jan 2019, worked perfectly until recently, now will not connect to internet on my wifi (will connect on my telephone hotspot, but have a data limit so not useful) Other tablets devices have no problem -- this is Lenovo issue. Can't find answer in Lenovo Community, seems like many users are having wifi connection problems.

Let me be clear: It does connect to wifi (2.4 ) but no internet.  This is is new issue.  Was not able to get most recent update over my home wifi, but did get it by connecting through phone hotspot.  The update did not solve anything.  I have powered off, rest, rest wifi etcc, nothing works.  I'm going to try other wifi, but it doesn't make any sense that I can get the internet by going thru my phone hotspot, but not with my home wifi (which I have not changed in several years -- and to which I have several tablets (Samsung, Kindle 7 &8 all android) and notebooks attached and working inlcuding this one I'm using now Dell Inspiron 15 Win10.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 110
Message 14 of 19

@Markos14 wrote:

Purchased in Jan 2019, worked perfectly until recently, now will not connect to internet on my wifi (will connect on my telephone hotspot, but have a data limit so not useful) Other tablets devices have no problem -- this is Lenovo issue. Can't find answer in Lenovo Community, seems like many users are having wifi connection problems.

Let me be clear: It does connect to wifi (2.4 ) but no internet.  This is is new issue.  Was not able to get most recent update over my home wifi, but did get it by connecting through phone hotspot.  The update did not solve anything.  I have powered off, rest, rest wifi etcc, nothing works.  I'm going to try other wifi, but it doesn't make any sense that I can get the internet by going thru my phone hotspot, but not with my home wifi (which I have not changed in several years -- and to which I have several tablets (Samsung, Kindle 7 &8 all android) and notebooks attached and working inlcuding this one I'm using now Dell Inspiron 15 Win10.

You appear to have a different and unusual problem, if in fact your tablet connects to 2.4 wifi successfully - i.e. shows up in Android Settings / Network & Internet / WLAN but it fails to connect to the internet via your ISP - and all your other devices work on that wifi network and SSID.  If your wifi modem SSID shows up there, tap it to inspect the connection details.  (The connection through the phone shows functional connection but is through a completely different network and maybe not even the same telco / ISP or your router / modem).

When I have a headscratcher problem that seems to be a system glitch I try a System Cache Wipe using the hidden Android Recovery Menu - you don't say you've tried it.  Unlike a hard / factory reset, it should not affect the tablet's data or set up in any way, but removes accumulated junk files and refreshes current settings compromised by earlier updates and installs - even so always be sure any important data, documents, media, images are backed up externally.   

CACHE WIPE

Power off

Simultaneously press volume up / power on - release quickly when the Lenovo symbol appears onscreen.

Soon a menu appears - use volume button to navigate down to "Wipe Cache Partition"

Select it with Power button and toggle - highlight turns green

A confirmation dialog warns it can't be undone - confirm doing it.

navigate back to "Reboot System Now" and do that

The tablet should reboot to its normal configuration with all currently installed apps and settings intact.  It might also restore the network connectivity you had earlier.  Failing that, I'd get on the phone with the ISP about the modem connection, which is probaby accessible through a PC browser.  Good luck.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
Markos14
Paper Tape
Views: 101
Message 15 of 19

@I2k4

You appear to have a different and unusual problem, if in fact your tablet connects to 2.4 wifi successfully - i.e. shows up in Android Settings / Network & Internet / WLAN but it fails to connect to the internet via your ISP - and all your other devices work on that wifi network and SSID.  If your wifi modem SSID shows up there, tap it to inspect the connection details.  (The connection through the phone shows functional connection but is through a completely different network and maybe not even the same telco / ISP or your router / modem).

When I have a headscratcher problem that seems to be a system glitch I try a System Cache Wipe using the hidden Android Recovery Menu - you don't say you've tried it.  Unlike a hard / factory reset, it should not affect the tablet's data or set up in any way, but removes accumulated junk files and refreshes current settings compromised by earlier updates and installs - even so always be sure any important data, documents, media, images are backed up externally.   

CACHE WIPE

Power off

Simultaneously press volume up / power on - release quickly when the Lenovo symbol appears onscreen.

Soon a menu appears - use volume button to navigate down to "Wipe Cache Partition"

Select it with Power button and toggle - highlight turns green

A confirmation dialog warns it can't be undone - confirm doing it.

navigate back to "Reboot System Now" and do that

The tablet should reboot to its normal configuration with all currently installed apps and settings intact.  It might also restore the network connectivity you had earlier.  Failing that, I'd get on the phone with the ISP about the modem connection, which is probaby accessible through a PC browser.  Good luck.

Looked promising, but... no go.  Wiped cache, had no effect on issue, I'm connected, but no internet.  I can't see this as an ISP issue, since all my other computers, tablets & phone, use this home wifi setup without a problem.  Fortunately this tablet is not essential & I can still get use out of it for reading books and watching videos off the sd card.  Still it's been my favorite for straming Prime, Nflix & Hulu, it's a quick table and had great video and sound.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I2k4
802.11n
Views: 90
Message 16 of 19

As described I can't figure it - I think I'd try logging on another SSID e.g. at a coffee shop, which could narrow the problem to your home wifi connection or show it's general.  The success with your data connection seems to say the former.

Highlighted
Markos14
Paper Tape
Views: 72
Message 17 of 19

My thoughts exactly.  Meanwhile I powered up another wifi router, new ssid configured it and all my devices can connect, except, right, Tab4 8.  Sad.Connects, no internet. I'm thinking factory default, but that seems pretty extreme. & if I do a factory reset, I lose my VLC and readers -- not a problem if I get the internet back, but......

Markos14
Paper Tape
Views: 51
Message 18 of 19

Went to the library and connected wireless, no prob.

Updàted to latest, still connected...at library.

Home now. Wi-Fi but no internet. Dang.
I2k4
802.11n
Views: 38
Message 19 of 19

@Markos14 wrote:
Went to the library and connected wireless, no prob.

Updàted to latest, still connected...at library.

Home now. Wi-Fi but no internet. Dang.

As I understand, on each of two modems / SSIDs you are able to connect the tablet but not get onto the internet via your ISP, but are able to both connect and go online via a separate telco data network and the library hotspot.  That seems to drop it in the ISP's lap.  After side by side comparison of the tablet's settings with a phone or other successful Android device, I'd give the ISP support line a try.  Some are better than others.  There are generally modem/router settings, usually accessible via a PC web page, that might be tweaked to make it work.

There are also alternative DNS servers that can be set in the router / modem - since you have a second modem you might feel comfortable experimenting.  I  tried years ago and my own ISP (Bell Canada) was better than those around then, but here's a recent list:

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-dns-server

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors