cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ron_h
Token Ring
Views: 18,647
Message 1 of 11

Lenovo Tab 4 8 : how to run File Manager ?

The File Manager app is included on my Tab 4 8 as shipped by Lenovo. When I touch the icon for File Manager, I get a popup which says : "Notice - The app must first be allowed to run. You can allow the app to run from the settings menu". There are 2 choices in the popup : 'Cancel' (exits to home screen) and 'OK' (shows the same app info as I see if I select Settings then select File Manager). One of the choices is "disable app", so the app is already enabled. I cannot find anything on the items listed on the app info that can be changed so as to "allow the app to run".

Please can someone tell me what specifically I need to do to "allow the app to run".

Ron

Guru
Views: 18,641
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 8 : how to run File Manager ?

Not sure what the problem is but why not just download & install a free File Manager app from the Play Store, which will likely be more versatile anyway. I use Total Commander, but there are others that are highly rated. Then just disable or uninstall the default app & use the newly installed app.

The only other things that you could try are to do a Factory Reset, which could be a PITA for your other user installed apps as they'd need to be reinstalled or, using a 3rd party file manager OR your PC, you could search the device Systems Folder for the default File Manager app that you are having a problem with & copy it to a folder on your device (internal storage) & then reinstall the misbehaving app. That often fixes the app, but first you need to find it, copy it & then reinstall it. The system folder is often otherwise hidden.

ron_h
Token Ring
Views: 18,630
Message 3 of 11

The File Manager app is supplied by Lenovo and can't be uninstalled. I would prefer to be able to use it, as I find that sometimes I want to do -something- with whatever file manager I am using, and I can't, so I like try with another app.

I take your point that there are indeed other file manager apps, and I have now installed one.

Ron

nuismer
Token Ring
Views: 18,291
Message 4 of 11

I had the same problem on my new Lenovo Tab 4 (called Tab 7 essential by Lenovo.)  I tapped on Storage and then tapped CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE.  Then I restarted the File Manager and everything worked.

sponglord
Paper Tape
Views: 18,005
Message 5 of 11

I also had this problem on my Lenovo Tab 4 8 - but when I went to Apps > Storage there were no options to CLEAR DATA and CLEAR CACHE.

File Manager asks for permissions (to access Storage, Location & Telephone) and that if you deny any of these (like when you first try to start the app) you get the message: “Notice - The app must first be allowed to run. You can allow the app to run from the settings menu”.

So, if you denied any of these permissions, you have to go into Settings > Apps > File Manager > Permissions and “allow” these three.

Then File Manager will run.

It does raise the question of why ask for these permissions if they’re mandatory?

Personally I think I’ll try another File Manager.

ron_h
Token Ring
Views: 17,981
Message 6 of 11

Thank you. 

Ron

MountainDolphin
Paper Tape
Views: 14,950
Message 7 of 11

I just bought a Tab 4 10 Plus (silly name... Difficult to filter for it in Web searches), a.k.a. TB-X704F, and was also very surprised to see a file manager that requested phone & locaiton permission -- there's absolutely no legit use for those in a File Manager app, if anyone was wondering (access to storage is  a legit permission of course).

It's a shame -- I actually thought that it was nice Lenovo was including such a basic app, since it's useful to have, but I've no idea what they're thinking. Unfortunately, it can't be uninstalled without rooting, andneither can the useless "Lenovo Tab 4" app.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good alternative app? I used to use ES File Explorer, but their advertising has gotten intrusive (trying to access an SBM network share required not merely viewing an ad, but installing an Aliexpress app).

HenryZ
802.11n
Views: 14,929
Message 8 of 11

I wouldn't recommend using ES File Explorer these days. They have been going downhill for a while now and I would classify the app as malware in its current state.

Check out Solid Explorer, it's very capable and, well, solid 😀.
Nibor5
Serial Port
Views: 6,117
Message 9 of 11

I'm using X-plore file manager, amazing amount of options/menus AND free! Plus no adds!
Seriously top notch bit of kit.
Nibor5
Serial Port
Views: 6,107
Message 10 of 11

X-plore
No adds, free, fantastic variety of options/menus etc

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors