cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WardenWolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,589
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo Tab 4 - How Do You Allow Apps in Kids Mode?

I have used many other Android-based phones and tablets in the past, and in those cases I was able to allow select apps that were installed by the Owner account to be accessed by kid / protected accounts. With this new Lenovo tablet, though, the "Kids" mode seems to be very restrictive. I cannot figure out how to add the apps I have already purchased and downloaded in my Owner account to be used by my kids. I see that some apps are available for download in the Kids mode, but they aren't all the ones I want - and it doesn't make sense to download them a second time anyway.

Can someone help out or point me in the right direction? I've looked at standard user accounts too, but those are too permissive: I need to be able to block access to the internet (Chrome) and app store (Play Store) while allowing access to select downloaded and pre-installed apps. The standard user account has access to everything, and the kids account on this particular tablet seems to be too limited... unless I am missing something. I really like the specs and price, so I don't want to have to return it - but I will if there is no way to set this up as I need Smiley Sad

Guru
Views: 34,411
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 - How Do You Allow Apps in Kids Mode?

Hi, take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPcl5IsClE

After you click on Kids mode from Settings, there should be a little gear icon on the right side of the user; select that and you'll get into App control. You'll have to allow all apps, then login to your Play Store account, download all the apps you want. After that, you can get back into that menu and restrict apps like the Play Store. 

Hope that helps. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

WardenWolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,384
Message 3 of 14

I appreciate the quick response, but everything from Step 3 onward in that video is completely different on the Tab 4. There is no 'kids mode' setting anywhere that I can find, and once you're actually into the kids profile / account it looks very different as well. It seems like Lenovo has used some sort of additional third-party software to manage kid usage on this tablet, and it doesn't appear to have the capabilities that base Android has or those shown in the video about the Tab 3.
WardenWolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,379
Message 4 of 14

Inspired by your comment and video, I actually did some more digging and I think I figured it out. It's a lot more convoluted than it has been in the past though so bear with me.

If you log in to the newly-created kids account, go to the parental control icon near the top right, enter your control password, go to Manage Content, and then Apps. Scroll to the bottom there and it appears that you can unlock the Google Play Store. Once that's done you can install stuff, but if there's an app you've already installed and you tell it to install again Google Play will crash. Thankfully it seems like it realizes it's already installed at that point and the icon shows up on the desktop and you can reopen the Play Store as needed. It's trickier for things that came preinstalled, though, but at least in some cases I've been able to uninstall and reinstall / update to get those to work. I also found that not everything I installed automatically had an icon added on the desktop, in some cases I had to go back into the more apps section to enable them.

This is much more cumbersome than past tablets I've dealt with, but at least it seems doable. Hopefully this information is helpful for others who may be stuck in the same boat :-)

mille74
Blue Screen Again
Views: 34,024
Message 5 of 14

Running version "TB-X704F_S000037_170703_ROW/TB-X704F_RF01_20170703".

I can't find any such option to unlock the google play app. I would very much like to use an "Android restricted account" rather than this crippled version supplied by Lenovo/Kidoz.

Highlighted
mille74
Blue Screen Again
Views: 33,989
Message 6 of 14

Revision of my previous statement. It seems that you need to try to install one of Kidoz suggested apps to make Google Play Store accessible. Once you tried to "install" one of the suggested apps, you are directed into Google Play Store, and once there you may search for whatever app you want. Keep in mind that you are using Play Store as the "main user" (e.g. your own Google account).

When this been done you can do what's been described above to enable Google Play Store access. You will also have to enable the installed app(s) from the Parental Controls section.

Info from Kidoz support team:
<quote>
Following are instructions for adding any Google Play app you wish to your kid profile.
Due to the multiple user mode of the new Lenovo tablets, apps installed on Owner mode are not available for other users.
The way to add additional apps within a kid profile is by doing the following:
- go to the child's profile and choose the More Apps directory option
- select any app and provide the parent password to access Google Play
- once you are in Google Play, you can use the Google Play search feature to go to any other app you wish to download
- download the app you wish to add to your child's desktop and once you have finished downloading, log in to the Parental Controls and go to the Apps section - the app you downloaded should appear in the list of apps you can 'allow' for your child
- check the box alongside the apps you want to add from the Apps list in Parental Controls
</quote>
TJ84
What's DOS?
Views: 25,233
Message 7 of 14

Edita: deleted my redundand solution.

Pgates
Paper Tape
Views: 21,947
Message 8 of 14

I can get to Google play using your most inconvenient system. But it won't let me access it from the Google account that the apps were originally purchased from. My only option is to repurchase the apps on other account. Don't like the way the users system is set up at all.

WardenWolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,837
Message 9 of 14

For what it is worth, I've ended up ditching the Lenovo kids account system on my three tablets. Instead, I set up a Google Family (https://families.google.com/families) and an account for my kids (https://support.google.com/families/answer/7103338?hl=en). This has let them have a more traditional Android user experience and share our purchased apps / movies, all while *also* giving me far more control over what apps they are allowed to install than Lenovo ever did. I can also see how much time they spend on the tablets, block use of apps / features, make sure Safe Search is enforced (though I don't allow them to use a web browser anyway, so it is sort of moot), and set up parental controls over what ratings of TV and movies they are allowed to access. It has turned out to be a much better solution.

mouser4kat
What's DOS?
Views: 19,112
Message 10 of 14

If you install the Google management software, how do you disable the Kidoz from the Lenovo tablet?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors