cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WardenWolf
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,633
Message 11 of 14

Re: Lenovo Tab 4 - How Do You Allow Apps in Kids Mode?

I don't think you really need to disable the Lenovo software. I simply deleted the "kids" account that their software had created, and then followed the instructions for setting up a managed account through Google Family Link. Once that is set up, you create a second account on the tablet and log in with the managed Google account for the kid(s) to use. I keep my own Google account on the first user, so that I can log in and have full access to the device should I ever need to.

JPhil22
What's DOS?
Views: 512
Message 12 of 14

Great idea WardenWolf. I bought a Lenovo tablet that I'd set up with my own adult user account as the 'owner' and a secondary child user account. I had the same problem where some of my kids apps from Play Store didn't play from the kid's account. I took your advice and I've now got exactly what I want.

For the benefit of anyone wanting to do the same, especially those not sure about tech, I've put what I did below. WardenWolf has already explained the point in his post, but thought it might help to add a little more as I've just followed his advice and thought of a few more things to say that might help another parent/novice like me.

There are two ways to put parental controls my Lenovo E8 tablet. The first and most obvious way is to use Lenovo's parental controls (the hardware manufacturer) but this didn't work for me because of the kid's apps issue. The second way is what WW suggested. You can set up parental controls using Google (they are the software manufacturer that makes the Android operating system that Lenovo tablets use).

If you have a Google account (if you have gmail then you have one) then you can create secondary kids accounts from that, and use it to control the tablet. I agree with WW too, the controls are much more comprehensive - I found they allow me to do what I want for my kids.

1. I have a gmail account anyway so I set up Google Family Link/Library on that. Use the links in WW's post, it will lead you to loads of useful info on Google's site that explains all you need to know. You need to set up a main/adult Google account if you don't have one, before you set up a kid's account.
  2. When you set up a kids account with Google Family you have to create an email address for your child. Don't worry, they don't have to have access to that email account if you don't want them to.
  3. I also have an Android phone, and I set up the Google Family app on my phone as part of the set up process. I think you can do the same from a PC and the Google web site too. With my own phone and my kid's tablet side by side I went through the set up process (I was sat in front of the Google web site on my PC which helped too).
  4. Because I had only just set up my new Lenovo tablet I did a factory re-set to completely wipe the accounts and start again 'box fresh'. This got rid of the adult/owner account I had set up for myself (there was nothing on there to lose, but if you're reading this and you have stuff stored on the tablet please back up your content somewhere else before doing this step or you will lose it!)
  5. Then I set up my kid's account as the 'owner' account on the tablet, using the email address I created with Google Family. Although this initially felt like I was giving too much control to my child, it really doesn't. What you're actually doing is putting an account on the tablet that you already have complete control over via Google. The main user account on the tablet is what controls all of the tablet's features, and because you control the Google account that's being used as the tablet's main user account, you keep control of the tablet. This is what fixes the problem of kids' apps not working on secondary kids accounts - because the tablet is now set up to use your child's own personal account as the owner, it plays all of the apps (like it did when I was the tablet's owner). 
  6. At this point, as WW has said, you can use all the features of Google's parental controls to set up the tablet as you want your child to have it. You can give them 'everything', or pick and choose the apps you want them to have. So where my grown-up account has every app I've ever downloaded (on my phone) the tablet only has the apps I've chosen to give to the tablet (use Family Library for this). This is how you can prevent access to email. Even though your child has to have an account, you simply prevent the Gmail and Outlook apps from being seen on the tablet. That way the tablet uses the account to run its services but the user/child can't actually use email. Because it's very simple to add/remove apps, it's a useful way to get content onto the tablet too. For example, I wanted to put a photo onto the tablet as wallpaper, so I sent the photo as en email attachment to my child's account, allowed the tablet to have the gmail app, opened the email on the tablet and saved the picture to file, then removed access to email again. 
  7. In cases where Google owns the app, you get extra controls too. So for example, you can give the tablet access to the Google Play Store (scary I know), but you can restrict what the child sees on the store using PEGI ratings so they only see age appropriate content, you can also set it up so that even though they can see the (age apt) content, they still have to request permission to download anything out of the store (even the free apps). So my child can go 'window shopping' in the store, but I still have to approve every download before they can get hold of anything (there are less strict controls for older kids too).
  8. So I've ended up with a tablet that I have complete control over but that my child thinks of as their own. The experience my child has is that they can log into their own tablet with their own lock-screen protection and see their own apps on top of their own wallpaper, all within an environment that I can control from my smart phone (you can set screen time limits, lock the tablet, view browsing history etc).
  9. I looked at 'kid friendly' tablets such as Amazon Fire but for me personally, although they have similar controls right out of the box, their content is more restictive because it's limited to the Amazon store not the Google Play store. Because the Lenovo is a full-fat Android system you get a lot more flexibility, and if you spend a bit of time buying a tablet cover your child wants, and giving them wallpaper they like, it can be just as personalised to them as the kid-friendly tablets.

PS: What I haven't done yet is work out the best way for me to share music/film content with them. I have a massive legacy iTunes library and an Amazon Music prime account for streaming, so need to see what's best there and whether I make the move to Google or see if I can set up child accounts with current providers etc.

Hope this helps someone!

Lori34
What's DOS?
Views: 140
Message 13 of 14

Were you able to get the Google search disabled with this method? With both a kids user and family link, search results and images still show up even though there isn't a browser available to open them with. I want to block chrome, Google search, and the play store.

Lori34
What's DOS?
Views: 139
Message 14 of 14

What 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors