Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckyum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 526
Message 1 of 18

Lenovo Tab4 8 Plus (8704x) Manufacturing Defect ?Help

Hello all

This was my first ever purchase of a Lenovo product.

And I have to say it was a big mistake  buying one of these Lenovo Tab4 8 plus model 8704x. According to many website reviews and spec sheets floating about. Which clearly states the device as having GPS sensors. 

I bought the 3GB ram + 16GB storage 4G LTE variant

The device cannot be used as a compass, nor navigational device i.e sat nav.

Google maps, Google earth and many more software applications that rely on GPS sensors will NOT work.

I even spoke to Lenovo tech team yesterday to raise the issue. They were keen to try and pass me over to the sales team, which I refused as its the tech teams job to know about this stuff.

Also in the software android nougat 7.1 settings there is clearly 3 options for the user to turn GPS assist on, yet the device shows error messages showing 'no magnetic sensors'present.

So as I asked the telephone Lenovo tech team, is this a manufacturing defect?

Should Lenovo be recalling these devices back to their distribution centres?

They couldn't answer me!

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lenovo/1406272/lenovo-tab-4-8-plus-review-a-budget-tablet-with-dolby-...

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8_plus-8603.php

Not a very good selling point for future customers, knowing they are being mislead into buying sub standard devices which dont have the hardware in them that is being advertised as having.

I find it hard to believe that Lenovo would make and sell a mobile device without having the basic hardware installed i.e GPS sensors installed.

It would be nice to hear from a senior member of Lenovo on this matter.

I'm sure I'm not the only owner of one of these devices with this problem.

Thankyou

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 511
Message 2 of 18

Re: Lenovo Tab4 8 Plus (8704x) Manufacturing Defect ?Help

Hi,

I dont' have one of these, but the spec says GPS yes, compass no.  They are not the same thing.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Tablets%20_%20Convertibles/TAB4%2010%20Plus/Lenovo_...

Is GPS not working, or is it the lack of a magnetic compass that is your concern - or both.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

ckyum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 507
Message 3 of 18

Hello Zoltan

I just downloaded the ;

Lenovo_Tab4_8_Plus_Platform_specs.pdf

I installed various compass apps, and the onscreen error messages appeared i.e no magnetic sensors on all apps.

I then also tried other different location software with the GPS assist settings in the main menu and again error messages appeared, 'no location could be found', even after going outside, rebooting etc.

After reading the above spec sheet, it appears there is no compass sensor onboard as you suggested.

However there is meant to be A-GPS onboard.

Looks like the device I have may be faulty.

Maybe the newer 'Lenovo Tab5' range will have more hardware on it ie. compass, gyro sensors and nfc.

Until then I'm going back to Samsung.

Thanks for replying

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 467
Message 4 of 18

My tab4 8 plus lte has gps. Read my response to you in the other thread, where you posted also. 

Screenshot_2018-09-14-14-15-35.jpeg

Highlighted
jaffar
Punch Card
Views: 463
Message 5 of 18

They are not lying and there is no defect! Usually cheap phones and tablets don't have many sensors to make them cheaper.

So yes, your tablet and even mine have GPS support but no magnetic sensor and that is not a secret.

I2k4
Token Ring
Views: 435
Message 6 of 18

mcd786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 364
Message 7 of 18

Can you make cellular voice calls like a phone with the 3gb/16gb 8704x version? Does it have a proximity sensor or is it like xperiz z3 tablet compact where the sound is a on an external speaker not earpiece? Thanks!

ckyum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 353
Message 8 of 18

mcd786 - heres the gsmarena link.

https://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8_plus-8603.php

gsmarena have now updated the specs

When I bought this device , various adverts stated that it had a COMPASS onboard aswell as A-GPS.

When I tried to get a compass app to work and it didnt, I posted this thread. I also tried to get the A-GPS to work and it didnt. The software kept telling me no sensors onboard !

Having spoken to Lenovo and various other peoples reviews, it appears there is no compass sensor, only A-GPS.

As mentioned above by other replies , the Lenovo Tab4 8 Plus is a cheap tablet.

And personally It is not fit for the purpose I want it for. 

To all you who own the same device and are happy with it, good for you!

I will keep to using a Samsung device.

mcd786
Fanfold Paper
Views: 350
Message 9 of 18

Thanks for your reply. Understand this message thread is about the compass (and GPS) capabiliies/lack of for this device but my question was about making cellular calls like a phone and if it has a proxmity sensor and earpiece like a regular smartphone. I have checked various sites for answers including the one you sent but see confusing info (probably because there are multiple versions; the V and F versions certainly don't have voice calling (F is wifi only), and the N version is China only (EDIT furthermore from my research, the China N version bands are not the same as the X version-unless it is just a firmware difference; doubt it but could be). The X version itself has a 3GB and 4GB version (3GB has no compass from what I understand but has GPS). But my question is about voice calling (maybe I should start a new thread but would be more Q and A and not really about trying to resolve issues as I do not own the device yet) Thanks in advance if someone could answer my question (use the device like a phone as silly as it may look, I would like to know)

jaffar
Punch Card
Views: 341
Message 10 of 18

The only thing these cheap tablets are good for is laying on the bed and watching netflix/youtube

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors