cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Metroeng
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,746
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo Tab4 8plus has no compass sensor.

The Tab4 8plus has no compass sensor, is that true? I have bought few days ago. I bought it for my car as a navigator. My desicion was wrong. Many navigation apps (Google map and here) have not function well.

pcJacques
Paper Tape
Views: 2,476
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo Tab4 8plus has no compass sensor.

That's indeed what it looks like. Lenovo have done it again. They try to save every penny by not including a compass, making the device almost useless for navigation. I hope you got your money back.
VladimirArias
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,156
Message 3 of 10

Hello, you can test it installing "Sensor Kinetics" from Google PlayStore. Please share the results.

Best regards

Jimbro
What's DOS?
Views: 1,932
Message 4 of 10

Tested with "Sensor Kinetics" and, unfortunately yes, there is no compass sensor. Screenshot_2018-01-23-15-35-36.jpeg

ckyum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,121
Message 5 of 10

Hello all

I made the mistake of buying one of these Lenovo Tab4 8 plus model 8704x based on many web reviews and spec sheets floating about. Which clearly states the device having GPS sensors. 

The device cannot be used as a compass, nor navigational device i.e sat nav.

I even spoke to Lenovo tech team yesterday to raise the issue. They were keen to try and pass me over to the sales team, which I refused as its the tech teams job to know about thia stuff.

Also in the software android nougat 7.1 settings there is clearly 3 options for the user to turn GPS assist on, yet the device shows error messages showing 'no magnetic sensors'present.

So as I asked Lenovo tech team, is this a manufacturing defect?

Should Lenovo be recalling these devices back to their distribution centres?

They couldn't answer me!

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/lenovo/1406272/lenovo-tab-4-8-plus-review-a-budget-tablet-with-dolby-...

http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_tab_4_8_plus-8603.php

Not a very good selling point for future customers, knowing they are being mislead into buying sub standard devices which dont have the hardware in them that is being advertised as having.

It would be nice ti hear from a senior member of Lenovo on this matter.

Thankyou

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 1,072
Message 6 of 10

The tablet does not have a compass. It does however have gps. I initially had an issue getting my gps to work. I first downloaded gps status apk from google play. It reads the gps as off by default. The app asks to turn it on, I said yes. 

Then I downloaded gps test apk. Use the menu to download the a-gps assist files/maps. The gps can then fix and function on wifi or data. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.khalnadj.khaledhabbachi.gpsstatus

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest

Screenshot_2018-09-14-14-15-35.jpeg

Jimbro
What's DOS?
Views: 1,068
Message 7 of 10

Hi @ckyum,

I regularly use my Tab 4 8 plus as a sat nav - it definitely has GPS functionality.

It is a pity about the magnetic compass though. 

J

Highlighted
I2k4
802.11n
Views: 1,047
Message 8 of 10

I've put my old Android J tablet (with compass) in the car, but have set the OSM client (OSMAnd) to rotate the screen and navigate by vehicle direction, rather than compass North and that's the way I like it.  I plan to try the Lenovo, but no reason it wouldn't work the same way.  (I've never used Google Maps since its offline functionality is poor, so don't know if it requires compass or not.)  Being an urbanite, I've never had much use for magnetic sensitivity, but for some it could obviously be a deal breaker.

Lenovo Tab4 8 - TB-8504F (ZA2B0009US) - Oreo 8.1
ckyum
Blue Screen Again
Views: 972
Message 9 of 10

Thanks Wiznoodle & Jimbro. 

The Lenovo Tab4 8 plus I have is up for sale.

Have to say, I'm not impressed with it for reasons stated. I'm sticking with a Samsung device until (maybe) Lenovo up their game and add the same hardware on par with Samsung devices.

NFC, COMPASS, GYRO etc

We all get used to using these devices as more than just a phone and its a real deal breaker when a new gadget has less hardware in it or the hardware doesnt work properly.

Wiznoodle
802.11n
Views: 961
Message 10 of 10

So which Samsung tablet are you using with all those features and a sim card? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors